Sign in to follow this  
rob682e

Low Budget Build

Hello all, I've always been a fan of Fi since it came out just from reading the forums and when I first started wanting a system. That was about 3 years ago now I think.

I would like to put together a system now but I'm shipping off to college so money is tight at this point in my life. I'm sure this is QUITE impossible but I'de like to not spend more than $500 on either 1-15 or 2-12s including the Amp. I don't have a deck either right now but hopefully can figure that into the budget sometime.

Thank you for any suggestions or insight.

-Rob

Edited by Rob682e

I just finished my setup on around the same budget (spent a little more then your budget and am still going to add components but yeah..)

For your budget id go with 1 15, most bang for the buck.

Here are a few sub amp combo's id look at if I were you

I have a 15 inch SSD with copper coils $214 shipped

Diamond Audio D3 800.1 Cost me $175 shipped or a Kicker 750.1 (You will need to get a dual 1 sub then but I assume you know what your doing when it comes to car audio) probably can find one of them on ebay for around $175 maybe less, I have seen them go as low as $150 on caraudio.com

$100 for a decent head unit with pre amp outputs (I have a JVC HDR1 with HD radio built in, paid $115)

That puts you at $489 then you figure the rest of the budget can go towards wood and stuff to build your box.

EDIT: Do you have wire?

Edited by darkhunter139

Hello all, I've always been a fan of Fi since it came out just from reading the forums and when I first started wanting a system. That was about 3 years ago now I think.

I would like to put together a system now but I'm shipping off to college so money is tight at this point in my life. I'm sure this is QUITE impossible but I'de like to not spend more than $500 on either 1-15 or 2-12s including the Amp. I don't have a deck either right now but hopefully can figure that into the budget sometime.

-Rob

Hi Rob, I am a firm believer in craigslist. I got the 500m for $50.00 and just had to resolder the remote lead. The PG amp which is in near perfect shape, I got for $50.00 also. The trick is to be patient and look for the good deals.

As for a sub, I am very sold on Ascendant Audio period.

One thing you should know is that with that budget, you won't be running over 1000 watts.

What else are you going to be running in this project?

^^^^i like your ava..:boobs2:

rob...are you stuck on fi or would you look into other subs...

Thank you for the replies...

I suppose I'm not stuck on Fi but didn't really want to talk about buying other products on their forums :-p.

As for the wiring I really don't have much, only some 1 gauge and I don't think I feel comfortable enough to do the install myself but I have some friends that have had systems for a long time that could do it.

The build is going into a '99 Limited Ford Explorer...which already comes stock with a sub so I guess that would need to be taken care of.

Thanks again for any help.

-Rob

Considering a system requires FRONT speakers, there is no way in hell you can afford a sub with only $500. Get some fronts and an amp and enjoy your system and when you can afford it add the sub to play the bottom 5% of the acoustic spectrum.

-Rob

Considering a system requires FRONT speakers, there is no way in hell you can afford a sub with only $500. Get some fronts and an amp and enjoy your system and when you can afford it add the sub to play the bottom 5% of the acoustic spectrum.

So what's wrong with the speakers already in my car?

look at the cadence sound outlet section you can get a txa 6004 for 179 shipped 4 ch. then get a set of the cwm-6kit components 75 shipped. you can get a fi ssd15 dual 2ohm and run it of the rear channels and comps in the front. that comes to $463. go to walmart and get yourself a pioneer deck for about $100 and you should be good to go. if you can find large enough wires at walmart get them. build yourself a box and you will have a complete system for around 600

-Rob

So what's wrong with the speakers already in my car?

They suck. What is wrong with the sub already in your car.

Rob, Sean (///M5) is saying it would be worth improving the mids and highs too, instead of just adding a sub woofer. Because if you just add a sub and use up the budget alloted, then you will still have a stereo with stock speakers with low performance limits with a sub they cannot keep up with.

I like the 4 channel idea listed above. It is a good way to get better fronts, an amp, and a very good sub. Check in the classifieds on here and on a few other sites, you might find an SSD in great shape used.

Well, thanks for the replies.

I ended up finding and bought, this, yesterday...I think it's a good deal but we'll see.

I remembered I had a friend that owned an Alpine Type R 15", already boxed, plus an amp and wanted to sell it a few years back, it has been sitting in his garage ever since. He's going to sell it and do the install for $475 for me.

Thanks again...my birthday is coming up soon so maybe I can get those speakers taken care of too :-p.

wt that hu i just hope u dont try to play cds...

well not sure about that exact one but my girl had a cheap cd player(dual brand) and it skipped when u hit a bump in the road, lmao,

the longer i've been into car audio the more i've come to realize that u should just save up and get wat u want rather than buy things and still want to upgrade later

I'll be hookin it up to my mp3 player...I had another friend that had one of the Dual motorized face ones and it was alright but this is a different one so we'll see.

I ended up finding and bought, this, yesterday...I think it's a good deal but we'll see.

I remembered I had a friend that owned an Alpine Type R 15", already boxed, plus an amp and wanted to sell it a few years back, it has been sitting in his garage ever since. He's going to sell it and do the install for $475 for me.

Thanks again...my birthday is coming up soon so maybe I can get those speakers taken care of too :-p.

Depending 100% on the amp that might not be a good deal...

Depending on the box too.

That most likely is not a good deal.

Depending on the box too.

That most likely is not a good deal.

I've been out of town for about 8 days so had some time to re-think this. I'm thinking of just taking a slower approach to it and like someone said just buy things I know will be good.

One of the problems I've thought about over the last 3 or 4 years of wanting a system is how I would go about getting a box if I did buy my subs/amp separately. I've never really been into wood working and building--or math for that matter.

I have the HU and a capacitor now so I would still like to stay in the $5-600 range for a sub/amp/wiring.

Thanks again for the replies and sorry for my nubness.

Sign in to follow this