I'm looking to get a o-scope.

I do have an ancient scope it works, I think, there's just too many dials and chit than I know what to do with.

And I rather know how to use it than just guess.

What kinds of things should I be looking for?

Size, Price, Features, etc.

Are there any like idiot proof ones that are accurate and reliable?

I saw the Velleman 10 MHz Handheld Oscilloscope over on Partsexpress.com

Is it any good? and should I also pick up the Velleman 10:1 Probe as well, or do I really need it?

Help me out here guys, I usually set the gains by ear.

But not this time around, not with this much power or potential for chit to go really really wrong

I do have an ancient scope it works, I think, there's just too many dials and chit than I know what to do with.

Is it any good? and should I also pick up the Velleman 10:1 Probe as well, or do I really need it?

But not this time around, not with this much power or potential for chit to go really really wrong

Ive got that scope I didnt buy any thing extra for it once you ghet the settings down its easy to use

I like my Velleman for basic operations. It even helped me during amplifier testing (a bit more complex than just setting the gain:P). Get the x10 probe. You don't want to be stuck measuring 20v (or 40, can't remember) at most.

Price is a little of an issue, I am only planning on doing basic operations with it.

Mostly I want to be able to use it for setting gains.

More for myself, but I can use it at works as well.

I think I should get the x10 probe as well (6000W is more than 40V)

Is it fairly easy to use? I'm no idiot, but I do like idiot proof things.

You can shop up one that works for <100 online, that is how I got mine. Get a 20Mhz dual trace, that should do anything audio pretty much. Most controls on them are similar it does not take much to learn it. The one you have might work fine too. Go here http://www.bcae1.com/ and scroll down to oscilloscope page and hit it for some pointers. His dvd you can buy goes into much more depth but that is the basics.

Make sure the trigger works before you buy, look for a photo of it locked onto a wave.

I bought these 300242233412 probes and they work well.

Post a photo of the one you have and we can probably tell you how to set it up. You don't need that much of a scope to do audio stuff.

you're using 6000w? hehe, def get it

The X1 probe maxes out at true rms at 80V, X10 true rms is 400V.

Here is a pic of the one I have.

It was free from my grandfather when he pasted away a few years ago.

One of the cool tools I was always fasinated with when I was a kid.

DSCF0467.JPG

hehe, install that in your ride

It would look cool between the amps. Wow that is ancient, it has terminals for the probes. It may still work for what you are doing but I am not sure as it is different than common ones I have used. I think you don't need the horizontal but I don't see a way to shut it off or know if it will work just not using it. Or it would be harder to read that way but I never tried it. If you had a probe on it you could try it anyway.

Nice, I just got a Velleman HPS10SE in the mail today, well see how it works, gonna mess around tomorrow with it. The HPS10SE is the same as the HPS10 but it comes with a carrying case and it has a backlight. and was CHEAPER then the HPS10. Got it off tequipment

you're using 6000w? hehe, def get it

The X1 probe maxes out at true rms at 80V, X10 true rms is 400V.

X10 is just a simple rezistive divider. An 8V measurement on an X10 probe is actually a real measurement of 80V.

Hopped on over to tequipment to have a look.

Found the HPS10SE and the X10 probe with UPS standard shipping just under $170 (USPS was an extra $10, but I might do that rather than suffer the UPS fees at the door)

Just need to run it by the bank (aka wife)

I'll just tell her that I need it so that I dont blow up the BTL's she bought for me.

That'll work.

Not to mention its a tax write off if I use it at work as well.

Ya the scope I have is old, I think the date stamp is something like 1960

You can get into a more modern reliable scope with more bandwidth pretty cheap nowdays.

The ol' Heathkit boat anchor oscilloscope you have there probably hasn't been calibrated since 1965, uses vacuum tubes, (which is a good chance of a worn out tube or two) worn out 50 year old electrolytic caps, and the beast doesn't even have B&C connectors.

But the ol' boat anchor scopes are a cool novelty item.....and they are excellent source of parts. I got a couple old Tek scopes. Lotsa tubes, ceramic terminal strips, pots, all kinds of goodies....

But I have a modern SS B&K 10mHz scope, and a HP 20mHz scope for testing/measuring applications.