Sign in to follow this  
airbear

Broken Tinsel lead and burned hole in spider !? help

Alright so about a year ago a tinsel lead burned up on my 12" Q and so i just took it into a local audio shop and they said that the company up in minneapolis that they go through would fix it for 70 bucks and if it ever f'd up again they would fix it for free...i got it fixed and then it sat for like 9 months ....took it out when i got a new car in may and last week it happened again but this time it burned a hole in my spider and this gay company claims that there is only a 90 day warranty on repairs so now im f'd....even though it is completely their fault and they did shatty work on it in the first place....so my question is how much is it going to cost for fi to fix it.......by the way its a 12"Q d2 run off a eD nINE.1 and i have my gains set with an o scope

All i need is a price thanks

You are way over driving that sub if you have killed the tinsels twice and burned a hole in the spider. . .Even if it was still in warranty, your misuse more that likely would not have been covered.

Brian

actually after the tinsel lead was fixed it was done very shatty and it is/was a little loose, and longer than should be and the dust cap was horribly put back on .....and it was my mistake it is a dual 1 ohm wired to 2 run off that ed nine so it is only getting about 950 watts give or take so i would like to know how i am over driving my sub?? If you would like to know the rest of the set up its in a 3 cube box tuned to 27 hz in the back of a 2000 jimmy

i have no idea.....i havent been in the lab for 2 months now....i am like 75% sure its a tektronix...but i could be wrong....i went to MN southeast tech for mobile and basic electronics

the first time it was a Fi bad but the second it was totally this homo company in the cities.....when they put the dust cap back on it just looks like ass and you could tell the tinsel lead was still not right but i just said f it......the audio shop i went through was so pissed at them they quit using them.....perks of being friends with the people at your local audio store

are they any good i'm looking for one..

first one wasn't an Fi bad.... over thousands of subs sold.... thousands of people putting much more power to them... only a few break the leads... most of the time it's cause of improper subsonic filtering or none at all on low tuned boxes and heaps of power....

tinsel leads usually break for 2 reasons.... clipping an amp and sending it high current (which you stated could not be the case)

or the sub unloading below box tuning thus having the sub move to xmax limits to which the tinel lead was not designed to accomodate a cone moving further then it's natural limit...

yea they are pretty decent ....they arent cheap though , i think the one we use at school is like $5000 and there are some that are like 8K.......and i have my subsonic set somewhere around 28hz....since you cant really tell on ed amps i just found the denomination for each line and set it ...so it right around 26-29....like i said the first burn up was a fluke...(fluke also makes decent o scopes)...but the second one was this chitty repair job

5K is way to expensive for me....

I was looking at extech have you come across them yet ?

never used one....but investing in a tektronix might be a good idea....it was a very nice scope ......but i still need to know how im going to fix this sub

If the homo company was Midwest Speaker then I am sure it was 100% operator error.

i have no idea what so ever on which company it was ....but my local audio shop is audio designs in winona MN and i bet you cant find an error in my setup......still need to know what to do about fixing this sub

You can either send it in for a recone or we can send a kit out to you and you can do it yourself..

Sign in to follow this