punkmutt1231

FI BL on 1000 watt Max??

I am really thinking about purchasing a FI BL 15" by this winter. I currently only have a Lanzar Vibe 250 amp. It pushes 1000watts max. 2 ohm stable and 2 channel. I was wondering if it would be ok to power the driver with this amp. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on another amp, i am satisfied with what I have currently. I'd like a BL, because I hear nothing but good things about them, and sounds like something I would like to have. I love loud bass, and my current sub (Cerwin Vega Vmax) isn't doing the work for me. So good choice or not to get a BL? It would be in a 2000 Cavalier, and I would have someone build me a ported box for it.

it's advertised at 900W @4ohm bridged. I wouldn't expect to get that much. Can you power the BL with it? sure. Will you probably blow it because you'll clip the hell out of the amp trying to get more power? Definitely.

so you basicly are reccomending me not to get the BL version right? I've blown a sub before from clipping, and I really wouldn't want to do that agian. What do you reccomend then. I can't afford a sundow 1500d amp, those are soooo expensive. Should i just stick with a SSD, or do I still risk clipping. I want loud bass.

I'd recommend saving up until you can afford the BL and a proper amp.

what do you recommend for a amp that won't break the bank then. Keep in mind I am only 17, but i have had a few systems already, and am just ready for some real bass. I work a minimum wage job, and want to get the FI, but not blowing a ton of money on an amp...

Edited by AJG

I'd look at it this way, if you spend the money and get a 1500d or comparable amp (it'll cost comparable too) then it's going to last, and if you wan to sell it eventually, you won't lose a lot of money on it.

I say wait 6months and save up until you can afford the proper amp. Look at spending $300-$400 at least. If you browse the forums enough you can find 1200-1400W@1ohm for under $250 but those go pretty fast too, something like the old orion 1200ds (chrome ones) that's all i can think of off the top of my head but there are a ton out there.

Also keep in mind if you get a sundown or something like that from here or refurb from DB-R you know it'll work. Virtually no risk of getting scammed. Ebay and forum classifieds can be risky, especially if the members don't have good references

That amp will work. You just have to be smart with it (which I hope you learned how to be after blowing the first sub). The truth is that a more powerful amp should just make it easier to blow a sub, since, well, it has more power. Just stay away from overdriving that amp to try and make up for the slightly less power and there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're worried about output with that amp you could build the box a little larger to get a little more efficiency or go with a higher tuning frequency to get a little larger bump in response.

Edited by KU40

indeed.. you DONT HAVE TO clip the amp.. you do out of want...

the bl will sound fine with a non clipped 1000 watts to it.

i keep seeing you say "waste money on a amp" lemme ask you this.

if you buy a GREAT amp... and it last you 5 years. and you never have to buy a "bigger" one. and its able to stay with you while you grow thru subs... was it a waste then?

buy right once... never buy again... a little somthing i have learned in my 25 years of life.

o yeah.. .and WHEN you buy right... it gives you the option of selling that amp when you need more down the road to help with the cost or a larger amp.....

IE. buy a sundown 1500... and when your ready to upgread to a saz 3000d.... you have a POOL of people that will buy it....

OR!... have a legacey that the pawn shop wont giver you 20 bucks for.... its your money.. and your option.

i understand your point, it is just like i said i work minimum wage. I really couldn't afford the 1500d because it is almost 600 dollars! What do you think of the Hifonics BXi 1260d? It isn't a costly amp and seems good for the BL.

AQ1200D - 1470w @ 1ohm $249 shipped i believe is the price.

Just remember, when dealing with class d amps, they will get damaged if sent into low voltage.

AQ amps are capable of working all the way down to 8.5v from what i've been told which is insane.

Make sure your electrical system is ready for an amp that can output it's rated power and you shouldnt have a problem.

A good way to know is at night, if your lights are dimming to constant bass notes AND you are in motion driving while this is happening, you need to turn it down because your electrical system isn't strong enough.

I wouldn't buy an AQ or Hifonics, neither will last you. I do find the 'last you 5 years' comment funny. If you buy a real amp it will last you a hell of a lot longer than that. I still have amps I purchased 18 years ago and they work great, but they weren't crap like the AQ/Hifo stuff when I bought them.

it's just hard to see me put out 600+ for an amp, PLUS the subwoofer/box, and my future components. The Hifonics seem like a good amp, if you do not beat on them. What is a good wattage to run to a BL btw? I see it is 1000rms, and many ppl using the 1500d, which is 1500rms right? so if i were to possibly think about the hifonics 1206d, that wouldn't be harming it right?

almost 600 bucks? Stop looking at MSRP and look at what they are actually sold for. A brand new 1500D from the SSA Shop would run you $479 shipped and carry a 2 year warranty and carry the 5 year reduced replacement guarantee past its 2 year warranty expiration. A Refurb from www.db-r.com would run you $375 shipped carrying a 1 year warranty from them. The decision is your to buy what ever you want, its your money. just spend it wisely...

I definatly understand your meaning what you are trying to get to me. But what is wrong with a Hifonics amp? If I were to save up 1,000 dollars, would I have enough for a good amp, FI BL, wiring/box?

I definatly understand your meaning what you are trying to get to me. But what is wrong with a Hifonics amp? If I were to save up 1,000 dollars, would I have enough for a good amp, FI BL, wiring/box?

there are some factors that will make it a little difficult to answer your ? there man.

if you can build your own ENCLOSURE and know how to wire the stuff correctly on your own or have knowledgable friends that can help you out and not jack chit up, then yes, a grand will be plenty and you would probably have a little left over. if you have to pay someone to build you an enclosure and wire your stuff up, then no.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUT A BL IN A PREFAB BOX.....

Edited by kandiman

Oh don't worry about that, i'd have a box made, a place near me makes ported boxes for 15's for 85 Dollars. Which isn't a bad deal at all right? I'd need to buy 4 ga. wiring if i am to get the amp though, i only have 8 ga. on a 1000 watt amp...

8 gauge on a 1000 watt amp? LMAO ok, i'm gonna go back to watching tv now

what i ment was... last thru 5 years of level of pleasure...... not 5 years of oparation... like aww my amp is fryed.

5 years.. then i wanna step up to a bigger amp because my wants in a sub have changed 5 time in 5 years... does that make any sence?

sorry for making an appearance as a dbag to you guys lol. yes i had it on 8gauge, never had any problems with it. And i know i will upgrade to 4 gauge when i get a larger amp. I do not have it hooked up anymore btw, I am trying to sell my old setup at the moment

AQ amps are capable of working all the way down to 8.5v from what i've been told which is insane

why the hell would YOU be intrested in that???

that info is for other kinda of people then you.

and your looking in the wrong places for amps if your paying msrp.

buy a hifonics amp if you wish... you will prolly like it alot. just do one thing. just keep in mind that those amps are over rated... so when you read it... and it says 1200 watts dont think that it will put out that amount,

and dont get mad if you have to buy a few hifonics amps along the way.

thats what i stated up top.

you can either buy 3 cheap amps in the long run... and spend 800 bucks.... or spend 450 once.. and be happy with your power out put and your reliabilty.

sorry for making an appearance as a dbag to you guys lol. yes i had it on 8gauge, never had any problems with it. And i know i will upgrade to 4 gauge when i get a larger amp. I do not have it hooked up anymore btw, I am trying to sell my old setup at the moment

good.... im glad your not using it...

you have had problems with it.. you just didnt know!!!!..... if you would have had a larger wire.. you would have more power......

and no one ever has a problem with thair small power wire untill its onfire and your crying... then its a HUGE problem...

Ok, you are starting to change my thinking now, lol. Send me a link for a good amp to run this then, possibly the 1500d. I am gonig to wait till mid march to do this, so i can save my money. Will I need to get a power supply? or extra battery by chance. It is a 2.2 Cavalier, dims SOME with the 1000 watt, not too bad though.

sorry if i came across as a smug ahole on the 8 gauge comment it just made me chuckle out loud and through my fingers. Ya just dont run a true 1000 watt amp on 8 gauge wire, you'll either have voltage drop so bad that it will smoke itsself or if it actually had 8 gauge inputs it was never even close to a 1000 watt amp to start with.

i mean.. all i can tell you is to save money.. come up with a goal and a budget.

say your gonna spend 450 on an amp..... well while you save 450 up.. shop around...

look at DB-r's site a great place to pick up a sundown amp by the way... check ebay...

i love sundown..

but shop around. maybe a nice kicker is inline for you.. or a jl slash series...

but as i stated.. from the sounds of it you maybe happy with a hifonics.. im just asking you not to short change your self or your system for price and price only.

there is a man on here that has a van that you should shit if sat in it.... somthing like 24 15's and 6 saz 3000d's.. the guy is a waiter from what i recall.... he knows what he wants.. he saves for it.. and he hunts those deals buddy.

NOW GO OUT THERE GET IT.

alright, so just save. Just only thing stopping me is the parents, they obviously think it is dumb because there is no goal to it or payoff to them. i will try to find a sundown being that they are so highly talked of around here.