BigDaveIA

Death Penalty 21 in a Silverado

I finally got around to taking some pics so here they are.

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

time to deaden the roof or roll up the windows.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

What size box and tuning? Also do you have that 20.1 at 1 or .5ohm?

My 21 shows up next week and its goin in my ext cab f150...trying to figure out wheres a good place to start for box/power.

holy chit that things is massive...looks really good

I have to admit, this woofer is insane. It impressed me far more than I expected. The enclosure is 8.5 cubes after displacement, 130 sq in of port, tuned to 29hz. It hits lows notes like you wouldnt believe. The 20.1 is at .7 cause the dual 2 is actually around a 1.4. The roof in these trucks are impossible to fix. You can add all the dynamat you want and they still rattle. The only one I ever saw that didnt rattle had a 1/8th" piece of steel in the roof.

I have to admit, this woofer is insane. It impressed me far more than I expected. The enclosure is 8.5 cubes after displacement, 130 sq in of port, tuned to 29hz. It hits lows notes like you wouldnt believe. The 20.1 is at .7 cause the dual 2 is actually around a 1.4. The roof in these trucks are impossible to fix. You can add all the dynamat you want and they still rattle. The only one I ever saw that didnt rattle had a 1/8th" piece of steel in the roof.

bs. a single layer of quality deadner will fix your roof. i had an 18" solox in my 04 silverado xcab off 4kwrms with a single layer of brown bread on the roof. very little, if any rattle, compared to what your is doing. you have to put deadner on both sections over the driver and passanger and over the entire rear passanger area. mine wasn't the only one i had to work on either. i've done countless xcab silverado installs, and each one got a layer of deadner.

and yeah, maybe it isn't completely stopped, but it's shit tons better then what you have. so buy 12sq ft of deadner, that's what the roof needs. and fix that rattle, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

bs. a single layer of quality deadner will fix your roof. i had an 18" solox in my 04 silverado xcab off 4kwrms with a single layer of brown bread on the roof. very little, if any rattle, compared to what your is doing. you have to put deadner on both sections over the driver and passanger and over the entire rear passanger area. mine wasn't the only one i had to work on either. i've done countless xcab silverado installs, and each one got a layer of deadner.

and yeah, maybe it isn't completely stopped, but it's chit tons better then what you have. so buy 12sq ft of deadner, that's what the roof needs. and fix that rattle, lol.

Thankyou for the insight but there is already one layer of dynamat extreme on the roof now and it still sounds almost exactly like it does in the vid. I have also worked on numerous silverados and have yet to find something that does what you are saying. I know it helps but you cant stop the roof rattle on these trucks.

Edited by BigDaveIA

not trying to be an ass, but i call bs. if you already have dyna mat on there, then it's junk, lol. add another layer. it can be stopped. don't forget a little expanding foam in the "T" brace if nothing else.

there's a vid of my truck and the s18x, and you can't hear rattles. not like in yours. so something is amiss.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

not trying to be an ass, but i call bs. if you already have dyna mat on there, then it's junk, lol. add another layer. it can be stopped. don't forget a little expanding foam in the "T" brace if nothing else.

there's a vid of my truck and the s18x, and you can't hear rattles. not like in yours. so something is amiss.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

dynamat was not in when i shot the vids. not as bad now but still pretty bad. im glad you have had luck in stopping this but this is not the 1st truck like this that i have dealt with. Maybe it worked for you but i have yet to see those results so u can call bs all you want, but what i have seen, done, and worked on pretty much tells me what is bs and what isnt.

Im not saying that what you are saying is bs either. Just saying i have experience with this and it didnt work. you have experience and it did so thats what you know, and this is what i know.

And I mean this as a joke, but maybe your S18X just wasnt that loud. (this really is a joke, meant for laughs, thats all.)

also, good call on the expanding foam. I might try that.

the deadner wasn't in when the vid was shot, eh? should've said that in the first place, lol. then we wouldn't have gone back and forth. i was assuming you meant the dynamat was in the truck at the time of the vid, hence my comments. otherwise, i'll agree, it can't be completely stopped, but i'll wager it sounds nothing like that video.

and the s18x was loud, very loud. i just didn't have the electrical to keep up with the amp. but it still embrassed many, many people.

and the foam helps.

That thing is massive. I vote Second Skin Damp Pro. Very heavy and should stick to the layer of Dynomat you already have down. Is that 20.1 mounted? Anyway, look forward to the numbers you do. :)

also, good call on the expanding foam. I might try that.

My 2000 s10 had the roof rattle from the roof skin hitting the brace/support in the middle. A little bit of minimal expanding foam between the brace and roof skin along the whole brace then deadening it made a huge difference.

Can't wait to play with my 21...should be a fun setup :)

Edited by duece212

Awesome sub, i have been very intreted in seeing one in action. but you have got to put so $ into killing the rattles.

I sell IA woofers and anything that draws attention, I keep. The roof rattle draws plenty attention therefore i will not get rid of it. I made it a little better but thats it. Nobody around me cares about that, matter of fact, they love it. we have customers here that pay for systems to be done just to make it rattle as much as possible. Sorry but the rattle stays.

I sell IA woofers and anything that draws attention, I keep. The roof rattle draws plenty attention therefore i will not get rid of it. I made it a little better but thats it. Nobody around me cares about that, matter of fact, they love it. we have customers here that pay for systems to be done just to make it rattle as much as possible. Sorry but the rattle stays.

Just how much does it move and do you have a video of it in action?

i bet it's moving a lot by the sound. i'll wager it's flexing close to 1/4", if not greater. he'll be able to bounce whatever he wants to off that roof, lol.

the NNBS silverado xcabs have corrugated roofs to add in strength, whereas the NBS like his, are a flat panel. the only bracing is a "T" shaped brace the starts in the center of the windshield, runs to the B piller and then crosses the width of the roof. the 2'x4' (apx) area over the rear seat (where his enclosure's port is aimed at) has zero bracing, is only a section the 18g (i'm guessing) roof panel.

so yeah, it'll flex, a lot.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i bet it's moving a lot by the sound. i'll wager it's flexing close to 1/4", if not greater. he'll be able to bounce whatever he wants to off that roof, lol.

the NNBS silverado xcabs have corrugated roofs to add in strength, whereas the NBS like his, are a flat panel. the only bracing is a "T" shaped brace the starts in the center of the windshield, runs to the B piller and then crosses the width of the roof. the 2'x4' (apx) area over the rear seat (where his enclosure's port is aimed at) has zero bracing, is only a section the 18g (i'm guessing) roof panel.

so yeah, it'll flex, a lot.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I meant the speaker. I was planning on getting three.

What would you compare the sound of that to. Maybe 2 15's or 2 18's. Could you let me know.

Edited by Loose Cannon

I am going to take some more vids soon. The woofer doesnt really move that much. at least not in my enclosure. around an 1"- 1.5" total.