I ran new wires today, and installed the 9887. I tested the deck out with the passives, so the deck is fine. On active I seem to not be getting sound out of the tweeters. I have the deck set on "3-way" mode, which I think is correct. The manual says to run the tweeter wire to rear channel for me is 3 and 4. And I ran the mids to channel 1 and 2. I'm thinking it might be the "input channel" setting on the amplifier. I also shut the crossovers on the amp to Off.

Input Channel Options:

1)"Setting this switch to

You need to use option #2.

I checked the amp setting and I had it on option 2. But I found the problem. It was the crossover setting on the HU. Now everything is working beautifully. Just have to setup time correction today, no big deal.

A quick question about the 9887. When I press the rotary knob I notice there is Sub, balance, and defeat control. But there is no treble or bass control. Is there a way to access this, or I can't now because its active?

Your bass and treble controls are all in the eq's built into the unit that you adjust to your prefrence. Press A.Sel for a sec and you will be brought to a menu. turn the thumb wheel know until you get to either parametric eq or Graphic eq then hit the Ent button in the top left corner to get in. The Band button will change the band on the eq and turning the thumbwheel will change the desired setting per the band you are on.

You can change your EQ type by holding the func/setup button a second and going into the audio settings.

Have fun with that deck, there is a crap load of options in it.

Your bass and treble controls are all in the eq's built into the unit that you adjust to your prefrence. Press A.Sel for a sec and you will be brought to a menu. turn the thumb wheel know until you get to either parametric eq or Graphic eq then hit the Ent button in the top left corner to get in. The Band button will change the band on the eq and turning the thumbwheel will change the desired setting per the band you are on.

You can change your EQ type by holding the func/setup button a second and going into the audio settings.

Have fun with that deck, there is a crap load of options in it.

Thanks man,

Do you use the MX setting or you leave it to off?

I personally would leave all sound field settings off. Also, try to use only cuts and no boosts on your eq as it tends to be a much better solution to take out the anomalies instead of boosting the rest.

MX settings sound like crap. Don't touch them.

Yeah I turned it on, didn't like it one bit, and thanks for the tip m5. I gotta program a the eq's to different preset buttons depending on what type of music I'm listening to. Much more work, but the sound is really a huge difference. I'm also using the graphic eq cause there are more bands. The para eq has less bands but it has Q (bandwidth) How does that actually affect the sound. I can barely hear a difference when messing with the Q.

Thanks

-Mike

Any more tips on tuning would be appreciated! :)

As long as recordings are suitable you shouldn't have to change your eq settings to compensate for music types. I do realize there are seriously crap releases out there that throw this out the window, but usually when you have to change between things it is because you have falsely boosted some frequencies that you didn't need to.

More bands isn't your issue, usually there are only a couple anomalies in your install that need to be dealt with; however, of course the graphic eq is easier to implement.

Q is hard to hear, it is the width of frequency you are manipulating. One way it will only boost/cut the frequency you have it set at, the other way it will affect a wide band of frequency on each side of it. So you could put it at say 40Hz and with wide Q boost/cut everything from 10 to 80Hz, or change Q and it would only work on 35 to 45Hz...as an example as it depends how wide/narrow it will go. Is hard to do by ear, if you can figure out or RTA where your hole/peak in response is you can tune it right to that spot. I guess a good way to hear it is put parametric gain way up and set frequency right above your subs. Then change the Q and you can hear it boost down into your subs one way and stay above them when narrow band. Note it also is doing that above your set point not just below like you hear in this example...or set it to 20hz and the wider you go the higher it will affect. My midbass is weak it took a while and test tones to get it tuned in by ear to flatten them out until I fix that. I don't have your HU, mine is in a crossover. If you have multiple parametric like many HU I'd say try to not use it until you can RTA or test db with tones at least, it could be very difficult to do by ear depending on how much response is off.

Q is hard to hear, it is the width of frequency you are manipulating. One way it will only boost/cut the frequency you have it set at, the other way it will affect a wide band of frequency on each side of it. So you could put it at say 40Hz and with wide Q boost/cut everything from 10 to 80Hz, or change Q and it would only work on 35 to 45Hz...as an example as it depends how wide/narrow it will go. Is hard to do by ear, if you can figure out or RTA where your hole/peak in response is you can tune it right to that spot. I guess a good way to hear it is put parametric gain way up and set frequency right above your subs. Then change the Q and you can hear it boost down into your subs one way and stay above them when narrow band. Note it also is doing that above your set point not just below like you hear in this example...or set it to 20hz and the wider you go the higher it will affect. My midbass is weak it took a while and test tones to get it tuned in by ear to flatten them out until I fix that. I don't have your HU, mine is in a crossover. If you have multiple parametric like many HU I'd say try to not use it until you can RTA or test db with tones at least, it could be very difficult to do by ear depending on how much response is off.

WHAT?

you lost me from the beginning..............

I always use my ears, not sure what he was saying either.

You guys can flatten out a system by ear using parametric EQs? Man you are good, how long does it take you to set a few of them? I only have one for bass and it was hard enough, fun but took a lot of drive days before I was happy with it or rather happy as I'll get for the state its at right now. Don't drive that car much right now but should do the doors and get it more up to snuff.

I use my ears too but it can be difficult to find a peak/valley in a system and set a parametric to take it out by ear, or is for me. I can eventually but I would not waste the time on someone else its not worth it. I'd have to drive their car for a couple weeks until I was happy with it. Normal EQ is much easier.

I didn't say flat, I said 'flatten out' meaning get rid of peaks and valleys in the response. Lol, you guys must be really bored. So can you guys set parametrics by ear or do you just troll these forums to cut on people instead of helping OPs?

we did help and then you posted something incoherent. :(

28,000+ posts on an audio site and you can't figure it out? You seem to be knowledgeable about a lot of things, why would you make a retarded comment like that? Of course I would prefer someone who did not know how a parametric worked to understand it, but hey if they don't they can say so.

You guys can't even answer my question if you set parametrics all by ear; its like asking the democratic congress when they are going to stop that war they said they would, and lower gas prices they said they would, etc.

28,000+ posts on an audio site and you can't figure it out? You seem to be knowledgeable about a lot of things, why would you make a retarded comment like that? Of course I would prefer someone who did not know how a parametric worked to understand it, but hey if they don't they can say so.

You guys can't even answer my question if you set parametrics all by ear; its like asking the democratic congress when they are going to stop that war they said they would, and lower gas prices they said they would, etc.

I answered your question...

I always use my ears, not sure what he was saying either.

I find it very amusing that my post was the retarded one to you.

Well I understood what sqguyib was saying in laymans terms about the Q bandwidth. I have an o-scope I guess i cant use that at all for tuning besides gain settings. I guess I will have to get an RTA as well.

M5 when you said there could be a couple anomalies with my install. What are some basics I could do to improve it. I'm using stock locations for mids and tweeters towards the top of my door. I know stock locations are optimal, but is some tweaks I could do. You can see it on the build section under "04 Civic Components"

Also another question, I have my sub crossed at 63hz active. But my amp doesn't have a switch to turn off its crossover. Should I just turn the amp's over 63Hz and the HU will stop it at 63 anyway?

Edited by sick6ness