53bowtie

10" soloX problems

I'm pretty sure that's just how the subwoofer moves to reproduce that part of the song. Maybe try adjusting the settings on your amp, tune the box higher, or check for air leaks???

I do not think that is how the sub is suppose to sound on any frequency of any part of the song. I mean this is a literal slaping sound coming from the center of the sub....

It doesn't look like it's sucking in. It's just from more excursion. Notice how on the low notes there is that downward crease in the surround? It's the same in the high notes, just larger amplitude. As for the sound, I can't hear it really well because I have to keep my volume down here at this training place I'm at. Are you sure the sound is coming from the sub and not something else, like the box jumping up and down on sheet metal, or resonance of the box? Could also be an air leak, so keep checking for those. If you can, play the sub with the box outside of the cabin so you can freely move the box around and check all joints easier.

almost sure the sound is coming from the sub. I have discussed with another member on ca.com that the cause may be not enough depth in the box for the amount of air the sub is moving. He suggest that pressure is building up behind the sub and the noise is from the cone getting slapped from the backside. this makes since as the sub only has about 12" from baffle to port wall for depth were as in the old box it was facing the back wall so it had all 33" of the box length to hit into....

also, dont know if this makes a diff. or not but in the old box the sub barely ever moved with 2000 watts on it i mean it would move a little at loud volumes but nothing like it is doing in this box....

I think the older Kickers are very prone to bottoming out. I have the 2002 model of the 10" L5, and in both sealed and ported applications it is very easy to bottom it out with my SAE-1000D (wired at 2 ohms). I know I'm overpowering mine a little, but it bottoms out way easier than any other sub I have owned/installed.

Also, the sucking in thing is completely normal, its just how the sub moves to reproduce that frequency.

I think you would be best off selling it and getting another sub. I can see this sub being used in a burping scenario, where excursion is small at the tuning frequency, but I have been disappointed in mine using it as a daily driver.

almost sure the sound is coming from the sub. I have discussed with another member on ca.com that the cause may be not enough depth in the box for the amount of air the sub is moving. He suggest that pressure is building up behind the sub and the noise is from the cone getting slapped from the backside. this makes since as the sub only has about 12" from baffle to port wall for depth were as in the old box it was facing the back wall so it had all 33" of the box length to hit into....

no. as long as the sub will fit in the box there is no problem with how deep it is.

also, dont know if this makes a diff. or not but in the old box the sub barely ever moved with 2000 watts on it i mean it would move a little at loud volumes but nothing like it is doing in this box....

that's due to the lower tuning.

any suggestions on a daily driver that can handle 2000-4000 watts in 2 cubes?

Like I said, the BL would be perfect. All you have to do is put some "slugs" in your enclosure to take up a little space and be carefull with your gains. It definitely wont take 2000-4000 but I think 1500 wouldn't be too far of a stretch. Or look into getting a 12'' fully loaded BL, the enclosure might be a little small but I'm sure it'll still sound good.

The problem is all in your box.

Kickers spec's are conservative, their "smallest" box is too small. I guess this has been pounded in, but you need a different driver.

What amp are you using that does 4kW and what electrical have you done to support it?

I'd go with 3^3ft @ 35hz and call it a day. That's after displacement as well. Use an external aero port if you need the space. A single 4" should be fine.

Very strange, my friend runs two MTX 5500's in a 3cf @ 38hz enclosure and he has the exact same issue. Not the strange noise but with the subs "sucking" in on high notes. His subs are powered by an Alpine MRP-M450 @ 2ohms. The noise to me sounds like botteming out or perhaps clipping?

i'll vote enclosure as well. and i don't think you need a different sub, i loved my solo x daily. IMO, build the 2.25ft^3 NET box, tune 35hz, use two 4" aero ports and fire into the back wall again. make sure that back wall is deadened, lol, and i'll wager your problem goes away. but don't give up that sub just yet.

and if you still want to give it up, i have a la audio x2 12 i'll trade ya. pretty close to the eclipse Ti 12, similiar power handling and output. loves power. put it in the same box i recommened above and live in bliss.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The problem is all in your box.

Kickers spec's are conservative, their "smallest" box is too small. I guess this has been pounded in, but you need a different driver.

What amp are you using that does 4kW and what electrical have you done to support it?

I have the Atomic 3000.1 that does 3200 watts at 1ohm and i am told will do around 4000 at a 1/2ohm. I have a dry cell optical for the main battery, a 200a alternator, and a stinger sp800 to help with the atomic.

I'd go with 3^3ft @ 35hz and call it a day. That's after displacement as well. Use an external aero port if you need the space. A single 4" should be fine.

cant get anywhere close to that airspace between the seats in my reg. cab chevy.

i'll vote enclosure as well. and i don't think you need a different sub, i loved my solo x daily. IMO, build the 2.25ft^3 NET box, tune 35hz, use two 4" aero ports and fire into the back wall again. make sure that back wall is deadened, lol, and i'll wager your problem goes away. but don't give up that sub just yet.

and if you still want to give it up, i have a la audio x2 12 i'll trade ya. pretty close to the eclipse Ti 12, similiar power handling and output. loves power. put it in the same box i recommened above and live in bliss.

anything special with the aero's? i have never used them before, anything in particular i should know about the instalation of them? Also, are we talking 2 4" full length? thanks for all the replies guys i really appreciate the help!

Edited by 53bowtie

I also have another box out in the barn that is a little over 2 cubes sealed for 2 12" subs. Right now it has a port in one of the holes turning it into a single 12" ported at about 30hz. (had a treo SSI in it b4). Are there any 12" subs that would take the power with a cube appiece sealed? or a 12" sub that could take the power at 30hz tuning and 2 cubes of space?

anything special with the aero's? i have never used them before, anything in particular i should know about the instalation of them? Also, are we talking 2 4" full length? thanks for all the replies guys i really appreciate the help!

aeros are more efficient then a slot port, only you can go way bigger with a slot. aeros also take up less room, so you have more box(internal volume) per outside dimensions then slot ports.

and nothing special about installing them. cut out the hole, slide the bell in and screw it down. (if you bell both sides, you'll have to install the internally bell after you screw down the outside one) and you won't use all the tube, unless the math tells you to.

and my 12 i offered ya will live under those conditions you described. i gave it 25oowrms for awhile in 2.5 @ 28. didi just fine.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: