53bowtie

10" soloX problems

First post, but i do have more on ca.com. Just wanted to see if anyone could help me out over here.

Well i just installed my soloX 10" into a new box today 2 cubes at 32hz and i am having some issues. It hits the lows real good now, which is why i changed the box, but when it hits a high note (such as the high note in young jeezy: hypnotize) it seems as though the sub is sucking in instead of hitting out, almost like the pos/neg is reversed. I have checked the wires 3 times and all is fine there. Also, when it is sucking in it makes a terrible slapping sound like the cone is bottoming out.

What gets me is i didnt have any trouble out of it when it was in the last box ( 2.5 cubes at 40 something hz) so i dont know what could be causing it to do this all of the sudden. It has been suggested that the box is too small but this was the size box and tuning several people advised me to go with for daily listening. Please let me know what is wrong here so i can figure out what i need to do. Thanks.

Thomas

Edited by 53bowtie

Does look as if the box is a tad too small... but not quite sure what you mean by a sucking sound.

Is the port to narrow perhaps and you're hearing port noise?

Well the sucking is not a sound but more of the motion of the cone. When it hits a higher bass note the cone doesnt seem to hit out but rather hit or suck in. I have experienced this with the speaker wire being reversed but have triple checked that.

It just amazes me that its the box after all the time that was spent figuring out what size and tuning and then building it then this lol. Sucks a Big one......Thanks for the reply though. Any suggestion for a remedy? i really cant go much bigger than this because it is in a reg. cab Chevy between the seats. Thanks.

Something is up with this box. Are you using an areo port? The box may be a tad small like John said. 2 cubes after displacement?

a box that's too small won't make the sub "suck in." that has nothing to do with it. It's in the signal chain if anything.

can you post a video?

Probably some aliasing in your vision, it couldn't play out on one note and play in on another.

The mechanical noise is more what bothers me, can you describe it better?

what amp do you have and what are the settings tuned to?

Also, check for air leaks on the box.

I will go make a vid right now. The amp is an Atomic 3000.1 running at 2 ohms now and sometimes i run it at 1/2 ohm for short periods of time. Hopefully the vid will capture the movement and the sound. Thanks for all the help with this guys.

Something is up with this box. Are you using an areo port? The box may be a tad small like John said. 2 cubes after displacement?

I believe the box is 2 cubes b4 displacement. I was told on ca.com that the 2.5 cubes was too small for the 10" and it was tuned to high (which i figured) and thats why i wasnt getting the low notes. Man it slams the lows in this box but then when it hits the high notes somethin aint right.

I'm not seeing how that box can be very musical, but these others seem to disagree. I'm curious to see what resolves this.

I believe the box is 2 cubes b4 displacement. I was told on ca.com that the 2.5 cubes was too small for the 10" and it was tuned to high (which i figured) and thats why i wasnt getting the low notes. Man it slams the lows in this box but then when it hits the high notes somethin aint right.

they said 2.5 cubes was to small? but then you went with a 2 cu ft box currently?

Edited by hayes55987

As soon as this video finishes uploading(which is taking forever) you will see part of the box in the video. Is there a particular part of the box you want me to take pics of?

and yes they said 2.5 was too small and they would do around 2 cubes at 32hz so that is what it is in now.

Edited by 53bowtie

Here is what the manual says:

Minimum Vented Enclosure

2.25 ft3 (63.7L) + port displacement, Fb=44Hz

Port: 42 in2 (271cm2) area x 19.75” (50.2cm) long

1400W Peak Power

Maximum Vented Enclosure

6 ft3 (170L) + port displacement, Fb=68Hz

Port: 250 in2 (1613cm2) area x 9” (22.9cm) long

Here is what the manual says:

Minimum Vented Enclosure

2.25 ft3 (63.7L) + port displacement, Fb=44Hz

Port: 42 in2 (271cm2) area x 19.75” (50.2cm) long

1400W Peak Power

Maximum Vented Enclosure

6 ft3 (170L) + port displacement, Fb=68Hz

Port: 250 in2 (1613cm2) area x 9” (22.9cm) long

Yes, i realize thats what it says it came with the sub. I just figured sometimes peoples personal experience can be better than going with the factory specs in a particular application. I may have to get a different driver if this is the case. I very much dislike that they want it tuned to 44hz. I think thats what the box was that i had b4 and i hated how it didnt hit the low notes at all.

Edited by 53bowtie

my 10'' BL would be good for you :)

want to work out a trade? lol that is about where i am at with this right now. I need me a 10" that can take 2000-4000 in a 2 cube box in the 30's hz range and not cry about it lol.

..why than not build a bigger one ...3 > or higher ... > :morepower1:

as you will see once the video gets downloaded sometime tomorrow lol, is that unfortunately this is in a non-blow through 2002 reg. cab chevy pickup. Therefore i can not fit much more than 2.25-2.5 cubes between my front seats at the most. Sucks not to have room but can not afford to get anything else right now (college student) lol.

Sorry, but I don't have any use for more equipment at the moment. 2 cubes is just a tad small for most 12'' ported and a tad big for a 10'' ported.