Duran

Future electrical issues ahead???

Okay guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I will be buying an 18" BTL any day now, I'm going to run it with a Sundown SAZ3000.1, at 2 ohms for daily driving and 1 ohm for comps and such, I will back it up with a Kinetik HC1400, and 2 HC1800's, I will also do my Big 3 in 1/0 gauge, my problem is my alternator, it is a stock 90A, I took it in to a shop today to see if they could rewind it and get more juice out of it and they said they couldn't do anything for it, but I talked to Nathan Pedicord from Excessive Amperage about a 225A that would fit. Why am I unable to get it rewound or built up? Do I even need it? Or will the Kinetiks be fine.

Any input would be great, thanks for your time!

Duran

I'd love to know how you'll be running that amp at both 1 and 2 ohms.

Physically impossible with only one woofer. You could run at 2 and .5 if you used a DVC1 woofer.

Physically impossible with only one woofer. You could run at 2 and .5 if you used a DVC1 woofer.

I was wondering the same thing.

Usually if you can't get it rewound it's because the alternator case is already stuffed with wire as much as it can be. No more wire = no more power generation.

If you plan on blowing your eardrums out with it turned up all day, get the larger alternator.

Usually if you can't get it rewound it's because the alternator case is already stuffed with wire as much as it can be. No more wire = no more power generation.

If you plan on blowing your eardrums out with it turned up all day, get the larger alternator.

No, I value my hearing and respect other drivers, I only play loud for short periods of time(competition). And i was going to get a recone for it so Ill be able to change impedance, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Duran

No, I value my hearing and respect other drivers, I only play loud for short periods of time(competition). And i was going to get a recone for it so Ill be able to change impedance, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Duran

i still dont understand... even if you get it reconed.... how are you gonna run 2 ohms then change it to 1 ohm when you wish...

are you saying for now your gonna run the 2 ohm,... and later your gonna get reconed for 1 ohm?

lol, you're going to recone your subwoofer everytime you go to a competition?

Duran

i still dont understand... even if you get it reconed.... how are you gonna run 2 ohms then change it to 1 ohm when you wish...

are you saying for now your gonna run the 2 ohm,... and later your gonna get reconed for 1 ohm?

Yes, I'm not sure if I will though, get D1 and run at 2 ohms for daily. And get a extra D2 recone for competitions and run it at 1 ohm. OR I could just get the D1 and run it at .5ohm for competitions, would the BTL take 5200 watts?

Duran

lol, you're going to recone your subwoofer everytime you go to a competition?

Yes, we only have about 2 competitions a year at most around here.

I would just get the DVC1 woofer. If you have a stout electrical, the 3000D will be fine at .5 ohms.

Why not run the 3000d at .5ohm for comps?

No big deal, if its only for a short burp.

There is no need to recone the sub everytime u want to do a comp.

I would just get the DVC1 woofer. If you have a stout electrical, the 3000D will be fine at .5 ohms.

Yes, that was what this post was about, if I had the elecrrical to run at such a low impedance.

:bump:

I'd run the coils in series for 2 ohms and "just" get 1500 watts for daily use, then when comp time comes, wire the coils in parallel for .5 ohms and get the extra power boost. That way you'll have less strain on your electrical for daily. It will still be plenty loud, trust me.

Back to the alternator. There is no way a 90A alternator will support the power you will want to have during those competitions. You should get the 225A to give yourself a chance at those competitions :)

I'd run the coils in series for 2 ohms and "just" get 1500 watts for daily use, then when comp time comes, wire the coils in parallel for .5 ohms and get the extra power boost. That way you'll have less strain on your electrical for daily. It will still be plenty loud, trust me.

That's what I would do. It will be very loud even for daily. And since you aren't looking to be the loudest guy on the road you probably won't even use all that power.

Edited by chad

Back to the alternator. There is no way a 90A alternator will support the power you will want to have during those competitions. You should get the 225A to give yourself a chance at those competitions :)

That's what I would do. It will be very loud even for daily. And since you aren't looking to be the loudest guy on the road you probably won't even use all that power.

You don't think the alt would hold for 2-3 second burps?

Your alt should be fine if it is only going to be for 2-3 sec burps, thats not enough time to even drain the batteries. you should be fine electrical wise. I know the BTL is a beast, but i would be carefull at putting 5200 watts to it, just be conservative with the bass knob, and the settings on the amp, and you should be fine.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to keep the stock alt, get lots or 1/0 gauge, and 3 stinger batteries, I don't recall the exact ones, but they are slightly more power than Kinetik HC1800's and one HC1400, and I will get all three for about $450. Depending on how much I get paid today, I might order the BTL or the Stingers, or just get some Hyperflex and do my Big 3 and wait on the BTL and batteries. Thanks for all the input guys! You helped a lot!

-Duran