billystorms24

best materials need to build sub box

well bj inspired me, i want to build my own box just to see how it comes out im good with my hands so i think i can do it. i just want to know what kind of glue and screws to use for the build? Tell me your thoughts

thanks a lot in advance

Billy

i used a helluva lotta PL premium building compound, and just regular wood screws with 3/4" mdf on my last build. finished it with plaid cloth and got some aluminum edging and cut it to make chrome trim around the box hahaha. i figured, british car, british theme lol. it was also the wierdest shape possible, basicially a big cube lol, so it doubled as a trendy picnic bench lol.

3/4" MDF, Lots of titebond or the wood clue of your choice, and 1 5/8" drywall screws is what i have used on every one of mine.

i hate to throw this out there, but i feel like i must....

menards MDF wood is crapola

I like to use Trupan, lightweight MDF. Titebond II and some good 1 5/8" deck screws. Sheetrock screws work also.

thanks guys i went with the titebond 2 and 1 5/8 drywall screws 3/4 mdf

i finished it today and carpeted it this is my first box i ever made i think it came out awesome 1.75 cubes 32 hz the thing fukkin pounds with a 12 in type r running 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohms

here are the pics

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

what ya think? :twirl:

Edited by The Storms

Not directly related to your question, but it fits the topic... if you're going to build more than one box in your lifetime, definitely invest in a Jasper jig. It's a huge timesaver and makes cutting accurate circles so easy.

looks really good man!

sometimes i find it helpful to round off both the inside edges and the outside edges of the port, to help reduce port whistling. but that port might be big enough that the air velocity isn't such a huge deal.

your finished box looks very clean though! :)

Jasper jigs are definitely a great tool to have.

Rusty, as long as you are using Baltic Birch, that is a good product to use for enclosures also. I would steer clear on regular 7 ply veneer core birch though.

Overall, I would say the box looks pretty good. Especially for a first attempt. Only suggestion I would make, is a few more screws on the top panel (and I would assume the bottom as well, but cant see) where you fasten the front and back to the top. That make sense?

thanks for the kudos bj, yea i had more screws going into on the bottom side... i think it def came out good for my 1st attempt. and no joke i swear to you it hits just as hard as my type r 15 with the box you made for me.

It attaches to your plunge router's base so all you have to do is spin it around the center, going deeper into the material with each pass.

Beats freehanding it with a jigsaw, that's for sure :)

hmmm thats sounds good, def will make it easier i used a jig saw lol ...sucked but it worked. I wanna make another one i enjoyed building it. :neil:

or you can make a jasper jig...really easy actually. ive made a few. takes probly 30 min max (if You want it painted or whatever)

Saves ya lots of $$$ cuz those things arent cheap. just my .02

by the way, does anyone know what BJ uses to seal his flares to make them so smooth? ive tried lots of primer and sanding with many many coats of primer and paint, and also tried resining and sanding that as well...neither come out as good as his.