I just got a sundown 3000d and it since it can run from 10 volts to 18 volts, ive got to thinking of a 16 volt battery setup for the future. But how would i do that and keep the rest of the car that needs to be 12 volts stay at 12 volts?

from what i understand there are two ways......

a 16 volt alt.... for your system.. and a 12 volt alt for your car.... so 2 alts...

OR a 16 volt alt... with a 12 volt step down for your car.....

i donno anyore then that but im likin this topic... lets see where it goes.

i think the alternator i have can run a 16 volt setup with an external regulator, but wat is the 12 volt step down, is it just another regulator at 12 volts?

i think the alternator i have can run a 16 volt setup with an external regulator, but wat is the 12 volt step down, is it just another regulator at 12 volts?

yes i think so... but if it fails... i think it may give your car 16 volts i donno.. i looked into it a little but i didnt find alot of info on it.... i think its a lil safe gaured for comp reasons.... thats all i could think up....

no its a module that provides 12v for the rest of ur car. you can also do something like the kinetik hc16v but using both teminals daily is harder on the battery. Id trust it a million times more then the step down module thou

no its a module that provides 12v for the rest of ur car. you can also do something like the kinetik hc16v but using both teminals daily is harder on the battery. Id trust it a million times more then the step down module thou

what did i say?

dual alt would be the best way to go. 1 for 12v (14v) the other 16v (18v) dedicated to the audio system regardless which system you ran, you would/ could need 2 modules. if so you are already looking at $180 - $300 depending where you get them. that money could be applied to a dual alt bracket. those modules are rated at 25 amps continuous 50 amps max each. Might be great for a race car but for a daily car i would think running the dual alts would be better reguardless which 16v battery you use...be it a powermaster, turbo start, kinetik or a v battery. All your alt power from your high output alt goes to your audio system.

yup joined it a long time ago and came back because i had to get info on a sub i bought like 4 years ago from ascendant audio.

yes i think so... but if it fails... i think it may give your car 16 volts i donno.. i looked into it a little but i didnt find alot of info on it.... i think its a lil safe gaured for comp reasons.... thats all i could think up....

Anyway you look at it, it's going to cost a ton of money. If your car gets that 16 volts, you just lost your computer, guages and everything else to the tune of several thousand dollars at least. Use 2 alts, isolators, regulators-good ones.

well first of all what kind of car do you have?......Ford, Lincoln and Mercury are the only ones that have an internal regulator on the emc and the onboard computer and they can hold up to 18 volts, but it is not recommended to pu it hihger than 15.6 or lower than 11.8 if thats enough for your system, go ahead, or else make sure yous system support it.

Not trying to jack your thread bt I'm curious about this also. If you use two separate alternators could the 16 volt just be a custom one wire alternator? For more simplistic installation.

the GM large case ohio gen i used for my second alt is a one wire setup. Gus asked if i wanted the one wire alt and i gladly took it