bristabrock

rms question

ok im buyin a 2003 audiobahn immortal 18 from my friend for really cheap, i know they are by far the best but i need something for my crappy truck for a little while, but i was wondering how much i should put on it, i know he had a 4000 watt legacy (crap) but it hit pretty hard, does anyone know how much they actually put out, and if anyone knows how much can i actually put on it, i read they are 2250 rms and 4000 peak, but i want to push it to its max

Without a model number, we can't do anything for you. I sincerely doubt it was anywhere near 2000w~ though.

lol, even with a model number it will be a guess. Your ears will tell you when you have gone too far.

I would guess maybe 1000 watts on that legacy. I figure 4000 is a max rating, so knock it in half for the RMS rating- 2000. then knock that in half because it's legacy and that number is likely rated not only overly high in the first place, but with 18 volts at 65% distortion for 1/10th of a second.

Those Immortals are not designed to be used for music for one so it will sound terrible.

The original immortals are a different story.

The power ratings Audiobahn gives is musical peak power.

This means, do not put more than a 2200w amp on it unclipped.

no sorry i cant find any pics of the guts but it is a Legacy LA2259 and also, i read an article stating that the "old" or "original" immortals are the ones from 2003 or so with a double layer kevlar cone, which is what i have, but what do you mean 2200 watts "unclipped", also does anyone know what ohm the coils are, i know its dual coil, just not sure what ohm, and i also read that the original version of the immortal was deigned with some help from some of the guys from dd audio can anyone confirm that?

You can use a DMM to find the ohm load on each coil of the A-bahn

and lol, I just found the "specs" on that amp.

2 x 300w @ 4 ohms

2 x 450w @ 2 ohms

Stable from 2-4ohms stereo and 4-8ohms mono

hahaha, wow, and that thing was pretty loud in his truck, but that could be why its barely broken in, but also, where can i find a DMM to use?

haha, wow now i really feel like an idiot, i couldnt even think of what dmm stood for and i have a fluke and one i built in electronics class last year, i guess it just didnt ring a bell at the time