Sign in to follow this  
tejcurrent

BTL recone?

I always hated when people made these threads but I honestly don't know where to start asking besides here. I am either going to buy 2 21" DPs or I will recone my BTL 18s into 21" dps, I just wanted to know if this could be done and how much it would be?

I'm trying to figure out if it would be beneficial for me to just sell them and use the money to buy new 21s, or if I could save a bit and re-use the perfectly good motors (actually the entire sub is in perfect working condition). Please let me know if it can be done, and the pros/cons if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Edited by tejcurrent

I wasn't sure if the cost would make it worth it. Online I wouldn't make much off of the BTL, so if I could save some money by reconing I'd rather do that.

I don't know, by the time you pay shipping and the recone costs it could be 150 per woofer. If the're like new you shouldn't have to take off more than 100 per sub to sell them outright. Plus the reconed woofers wouldn't sound and perform exactly like a DP 21.

Well after shipping ill probably be looking at 700 for both subs sold. That means another 500 out of my pocket. 300 would leave me with more green and I absolutely loved my btls. I just want a bit more cone area. I couldn't remove the box for all 4 subs myself, but I could pop 2 smaller boxes out on my own.

I'm having a hard time comparing the 18 btl to the 21 dp because they are so different. I couldn't give them the 4000 watts daily like I could my btls, but for comps I think they'd be fine and less of a strain on my charging system to achieve the same output for daily listening. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking?

Sell your BTL's, buy 21" DP's. Our baskets won't fit FI motors, or any other motor that uses a 12 spoke basket for that matter. :)

Thanks! I sure will be sad to part with them, I've loved them for close to 2 years now, as long as these sound as good I'll be happy.