Sign in to follow this  
Stephan

Alt is in, need suggestions on wiring

My alt arrived today and it's installed! Now I need to upgrade my wires, I am stuck on KnuKoncepts but am interested in Stingers 3/0. In the long run Stinger 3/0 is actually less than 3*1 of the KK for obvious reasons, and KK doesn't offer any 3/0. I hear that the Kolossus cable is almost 2/0. I plan to get 2 more 250 alts, so am thinking about the multiple run issue.

I am now stuck on deciding if I want to go with Kolossus Flex or KLM. KLM is smaller, but it's a bit cheaper when purchasing the amp kit, and they don't offer any amp kits with Kolossus.

What would everyone else do? Go for the Stinger 3/0, multiple runs of the Kolossus Flex, or multiple runs of the KLM?

Everything you are looking at is waste of money, unless you are primarily concerned with looks. Best cable out there, hands down, is Supraflex welding cable. It is as flexible, tolerates heat/chemicals/damage better than any of the car audio stuff. It usually costs less also.

Check out Weldingdepot.com or Weldingsupply.com

I'll have to agree with 95Honda.

Copper is copper. Can't go wrong with welding cable ;)

Well look and name brand does matter to me. I gave 3 options, and read about welding cable ... not interested. I need opinions on what wire of the 3 is better, not what wire you feel is a waste of money.

Edited by Stephan

I just looked up the prices on the Supraflex actually, and the KnuKoncepts is cheaper for the 0/1 guage. So if price was an issue, I'd go for the KLMX cable

Well look and name brand does matter to me. I gave 3 options, and read about welding cable ... not interested. I need opinions on what wire of the 3 is better, not what wire you feel is a waste of money.

You win for making the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.

You win for making the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.

That's awesome for me. You win for contribution the most useless replies to this forum. Now we are both winners!

Would you like to explain why I am ignorant for asking if I should do 3 runs of 1/0 or 1 run of 3/0, and which of the two is prefered? There is cheaper wire offered by KnuKonceptz that is 1/0 as well for a dollar less a foot. As I stated previously, I really would rather KK all the way through because of the look and I am stuck on the brand, who knows why. The welding wire maybe less expensive than the KK wiring, but I would rather not use mismatched wiring for everything, SORRY for wanting to keep it clean.

A more helpful statement would be something to the effect of:

- 1 run of 000 will save you money because you will only need 1 fuse, instead of 3 with a 3 1 runs.

- KK Kollasus is almost 2/0 so 2 runs would be near equal to 4/0 ...

- KK KLMX cable is under $2 and is less than welding cable. KK has amp kits to save a little extra money on the KLMX cabling but none of their Kollasus

Careful buddy.. your current attitude is not welcome here.

Cross section and strand count are ultimately more important than color. Internal copper diameter is also a key factor. A lot of places use a thick outer jacket and measure off of that, so be careful on who you believe has thicker cable.

Strand count helps with flexibility of the cable, but also gives a good measuring point when comparing to other cables.

With you planning on extra alternators and massive electrical upgrades, "pretty" cable should be the least of your concerns.

from what i understand 3 runs of 1/0 has more wire then a single 3/0

Careful buddy.. your current attitude is not welcome here.

Cross section and strand count are ultimately more important than color. Internal copper diameter is also a key factor. A lot of places use a thick outer jacket and measure off of that, so be careful on who you believe has thicker cable.

Strand count helps with flexibility of the cable, but also gives a good measuring point when comparing to other cables.

With you planning on extra alternators and massive electrical upgrades, "pretty" cable should be the least of your concerns.

I was not the one at offense :) I agree, pretty cable should not the least of my concerns. That is why I am researching before buying. KK has different selections of wire.

I appreciate the advice on how companies may rate wire. And that is the exact type of answers I am looking for about the two. Welding cable could be fine, but I still would rather keep the wiring all the same brand and coloring. It won't be seen much, but it's one of those thing's that would bother me regardless, just because I know it's there.

from what i understand 3 runs of 1/0 has more wire then a single 3/0

Thank you man. If that's true, then 3 runs of 0 it is. =)