Sign in to follow this  
ChiTownTBird312

GOOD 6x8's

right now in the t bird i have pioneer 6x8's that were in the car when i got them(the ones you can get from walmart). they are nice speakers but arent really waht im looking for.

im trying to find something that has clear mids and highs and decent bass response...i know i cant expect too much bass out of a 6x8 but i was hoping someone could point me toward a nice set.

thanks.

I'd make 6.5" adapters...you'd probably be surprised at the midbass potential of a 6.5" given the right installation :)

i dont know if id have enough room in the front....the speakers are kinda mounted funny underneath the door panel.

but how would i go about doing that?

Some component sets will come with adapter plates or you just make some out of sheet metal/wood. If going with wood I would consider sealing it with something so it doesn't pick up moisture.

anybody at all with ideas/suggestions....or know how i would go about making the 6.5" adapters?

I took out my factory 6x8s and traced them onto a piece of wood. Oversize the trace a tad. Then cut along that line with a jigsaw. Get your new 6.5" speaker and trace the cutout diameter of it into the middle of the wooden adapter. take your jigsaw and cut along that line. Now you have adapters that just need screw holes. I would recommend countersinking the screws that hold the adapter to the door or else you'll likely get the new speaker hitting the screw heads and not sealing to the wood properly.

Those cars are easy to put speakers in, I would know I've had several. You can actually reuse the plastic mount and make a 6x8 > 6.5 adapter to mount right on to it. You could then make it a little tougher with maybe some modeling clay or something.

Another option would be to build new spacers to replace the factory plastic if you have the tools and skills.

I'd build new spacers, not at all hard and will make a HUGE difference. :)

i have a new t bird now....the other one is gone, too many problems so my dad fround a new one.

how do you guys think these alpine type R's would sound? clear highs and mids? decent sounding bass?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...p?model=SPR-57C

im trying to stick with 6x8/5x7's because i want something that will just go right in place of the old ones.

I have the Kenwood 6x8s from best buy in my exploder. The main sound is from the installation.

I have three layers of deadening on the inner panels and two strips of deadener on the outer door skin. Just by dampening the door everyone who listens to my front 6x8's with 50 watts to each thinks they are hearing speakers that are easily $100 dollars more than my kenwoods (40 bucks for the pair)

Please listen.

Putting something right in the place of the old ones will always sound really crappy. You need to mount whatever you put on a baffle. Considering you need a baffle there is no need to use a 6x8, in fact 6x8's are a joke. Build a converting baffle to mount a 6.5, 9 times out of 10 it is a SUPER easy conversion.

Just bolting something in will not be worth the monetary upgrade over stock. :(

or if your just stuck on buying some 5x7's buy mine!

I outlined how to about 6 posts up.

Please listen.

Putting something right in the place of the old ones will always sound really crappy. You need to mount whatever you put on a baffle. Considering you need a baffle there is no need to use a 6x8, in fact 6x8's are a joke. Build a converting baffle to mount a 6.5, 9 times out of 10 it is a SUPER easy conversion.

Just bolting something in will not be worth the monetary upgrade over stock. :(

but i dont understand why it would sound crappy....im not looking for a ton of bass because i will have subs in the car eventually. i just want something that is a lot more clear than the stock speakers and i dont see how just replacing them would make it sound crappy... :shrug:

Because most stock speakers are poor full range single speakers, putting in even an aftermarket coaxial should sound better. But it's usually worth the small effort to convert to a 6.5" speaker and especially if you do components instead of coaxial.

i enjoyed the way my lincoln factory JBL 5x7's sound. but in 98 thay came out with the alpine systems.. and i wanted more any how.. i think i still have some layin around... thay are actualy a 4 inch driver and a small tweeter all crossed over... ill see if i can find them and take a pic.

On top of that the stock mounting location and method is extremely crappy. There will be a huge difference in midbass (notice not sub bass so your sub will do nothing for it) when you have a decent baffle. Also using the stock mounting location limits you to a size of speaker that no one makes a good one of. They are all meant to be cheap replacements which of course is what your stockers are in the first place. Perhaps expect a slightly better response, but it will be a huge joke compared to if you spent the 20 minutes to bolt some real drivers to a baffle.

I don't consider bolting speakers onto a stock location as an installation.

haha alright i get what you guys mean....but still im not too familiar with how to do the 6.5 converstion..

anybody have pictures or know a site that would explain how to? i know a member here has a t bird and his doing a system in it and converting the rear speakers and door speakers to 6.5's but he hasnt responded to me asking how to do it...

It is different for every car, but basically you just need to make an mdf baffle that you can bolt to your car that the speaker fits in.

Umm - http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http:/...gl=us&hl=en

Not much of an improvement w/o a lot of deadening, but an easy start. And I wanted 6x8's for a while also.... after a couple of pairs I finally bought some components, made the baffle, applied 3 layers, replaced factory wiring....

It's worth the time and money to buy the comps and do the install right.

if those will work with my car that is perfect!

what do you guys think?

im takin you-alls word for it that the 6.5's will sound better so if these would do the job, then im all in.

what else might i have to do to make em sound good?

Edited by ChiTownTBird312

Actually building a much stiffer, heavier baffle would be much better. Adding deadening and mass around it a HUGE bonus as well. :)