imhungnurnot

Advantages of TL and bandpass enclocures?

I'm just curious what are the advantages and disadvantages

between TL enclosures, 4th order bandpass, and 6th order bandpass enclosures.

These are all very new to me!

I'd never consider a transmission line where space may be a concern...they're not exactly small.

I'd never consider a transmission line where space may be a concern...they're not exactly small.

Jim, what would be the approximate estimation of the outer dimensions of a t-line for an icon 15?

In a car if you are a noob, there are no advantages to any of the alignments you described.

TL is way too big, almost even for a cargo van.

And a bandpass, does what it is called. It will only play through a shortened acoustic range. The major advantage of those designs is that all the sound comes out of the port so you can easily have a box in the trunk and the opening into your car. Far from trivial to build though. 4th order is easier to build, but 6th order will be louder. If loud is what you are after though, just build a ported box.

Almost no reason to go with a TL setup in a car. Best reason to go with a bandpass is that its tuning is independent of the car. With a normal ported enclosure, the tuning of the enclosure is actually different than what it would be free-air because of the effects of the air in the cabin of the car change the tuning. Not so with a bandpass. Still hardly worth the trouble 99% of the time.

Almost no reason to go with a TL setup in a car. Best reason to go with a bandpass is that its tuning is independent of the car. With a normal ported enclosure, the tuning of the enclosure is actually different than what it would be free-air because of the effects of the air in the cabin of the car change the tuning. Not so with a bandpass. Still hardly worth the trouble 99% of the time.

Can you elaborate on that? I don't understand.