drummerman313

Recommendations for a good system

Kenwood KFC-W2511...and I know its not great, but I have heard good things about it

I'll go check it out.

IMO, I'd stay away from the cheaper brands... like Pyle and stuff.

OH BTW, its probably a 1000W max sub... max means nothing. I think a 200-350W amp would power that sub fine.

Edited by Gearstix

What were the blaupunkt amps that were of decent quality? DIYMA had a huge boner for them, IIRC they were quite cheap though i have no experience with them

edit: Most blaupunkt is NOT good quality, but these apparently were

The Velocity amps, don't get any of the others including the one you picked.

The Sundown is a good choice.

Cerwin Vega EXL amps are nice for the budget, but I think they are sold out as well. Note only the EXL.

The problem you have is your sub is not amp friendly meaning you are going to have to up the budget for your amp. When using a single sub, having a 2ohm final load makes amps way cheaper.

At Sonic, this was the cheapest I could find, but it only does 225w and you probably want more especially if you upgrade your sub down the line:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12247_JBL+GTO3501.html

And then you are into the Sundown price with

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12018_...e+MRP-M500.html

For that I'd rather have the Sundown, way rather.

If you want a cheaper amp, you need a different sub.

My suggestion would be to go with a refurbished Sundown 100.2

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store/index.php?productID=145

It should realistically put out about 500 watts at 4 ohms bridged

fing05.giffing05.gif

Alright, so i am still looking for an amp since i didnt do a great job of choosing a sub. I need a minimum of 300 RMS at 4 ohms for my amp. I found a Kenwood KAC-7204 that has 500 watts at 4 ohms ( with a bridged output). It is not used, its brand new. Can anyone tell me if this would be a good buy before i waste more money? haha

have youbothered to look at ANY of the amps we've recommended? i feel like we're pissing in the wind here

I have looked at every amp yall have suggested...but they are all higher than $150 and i cant currently afford that...and who knows when i will be able to, and until then dont want to have a sub just sitting in my closet b/c i cant afford an amp. The one I looked at that was suggested was the Blaupunkt VA1400...I can afford that one, but no one else has really said anything about that particular amp.

I have looked at every amp yall have suggested...but they are all higher than $150 and i cant currently afford that...and who knows when i will be able to, and until then dont want to have a sub just sitting in my closet b/c i cant afford an amp. The one I looked at that was suggested was the Blaupunkt VA1400...I can afford that one, but no one else has really said anything about that particular amp.

You can't afford to buy that POS Kenwood amp either. There really wasn't anything cheaper at Sonic that is worth buying. Nothing, nada, zilch. I realize there are other places to shop, but we can't do everything for you.

If you don't like those solutions, you will HAVE to buy something used.

Where did you see the VA1400? They are out of production, that amp is fine though.

I found the VA1400 for sale brand new on Ebay...I read something that said they are out of production, but if its a good amp I might want to jump on it. I did not realize how many different brands and styles of amps are out there...I am in a little over my head right now. What about Profile amps? Are they POS's too? haha

So I purchased everything I need except for wiring install kit for the amp and sub. I have the RCA outputs on the back of my cd deck, since it isnt stock, so I would not need an inline converter. My amp is a 600 watt 2-channel and my sub is a 10" 1000 Watt max 4 ohm speaker. What wiring kit would anyone suggest I get, since I am doing the install by myself?