Sign in to follow this  
Kanaworm$

Phoenix Gold new vs old?

Since im getting back into car audio. How does the new Phoenix Gold amplifiers compare to the older models like the M and ZX series? Reason im asking is it fits my budget plus a local dealer. I was looking at the RSD600.1 or RSD1200.1 to drive a pair of 12" IA Lethal Injection Series.

IIRC, they overall build quality went downhill sometime around the release of the Xenon amps. Awesome amps but had a few issues. This was coincidently around the time they started building overseas. They are still good, probably better then 80 percent of the companies out there, but the old stuff was AWESOME. The RSD's are supposed to be pretty decent for the money, so if you can get a deal on them i would say go for it, they are probably comparable to if not slightly better then the brutus

The Titaniums would be the last I'd seriously consider buying. Those were nice amplifiers.

The latest, meh.

Thanks guys! I may just save up a little more and go with Sundown or maybe the new IA 20.1.

How much power do you need? I may be selling my Tantrum 1200.1 in the coming weeks :)

How much power do you need? I may be selling my Tantrum 1200.1 in the coming weeks :)

Would like something in the 1000 watt range or better. Was the Tantrum the last of the US build amps?

I bought mine in '03, while PG was still under its old ownership. The Tantrums and the Titaniums were the last of those older lines.

I bought mine in '03, while PG was still under its old ownership. The Tantrums and the Titaniums were the last of those older lines.

Nice looking amp. was just at Ampguts. Is it 1 or 2 ohm stable?

and those were the best. Titaniums were great.

Actually the Xenon's were very good amplifiers, especially the 200.4, despite the rubber ends. They are very high quality amps that had some nice features. The RSD amps were not on the same level as the Xenon's, but still plenty of power and good performance per dollar for sure.

Thanks guys all the info is greatly appreciated.