manbeer

WTF, got the car back from the dealer and sub is completely done

As some of you know I installed this 10" rockford T2 a few weeks back, wasn't that impressed at first and then i started to like it. anyway, i just picked my car up from the dealer, first thing i notice when i turn on stereo is NO bass, i stop to check all the connections, settings, etc. the basics. everything looks good. get home and put the DMM on my rca's and i can see the amp is getting signal. check the wires coming from the sub. no reading at all. so i'm like WTF and i pull it out of the box. there are NO signs of any kind that would indicate damage. rockford does a pretty good job of concealing all the important parts of their subs, but the portion of the VC that i can see through the vent looks good, spider seems fine, no mechanical issues, no smells. just both coils don't register on my DMM. I'm so mad right now, any idea what could have happened?

Edited by manbeer

you cant see the tinsel leads?

i try NEVER to have my car in the shop with out me near it.. but i must.. i allways pull the fueses, or in my case flip the breakers

you cant see the tinsel leads?

they are "hidden" but thats what i was thinking tried seperating this huge basket/sheild thing but it's ridiculous and i don't really see a way to do it w/o separating the surround, which is something i have never done before and don't particularly feel like getting into. maybe i'll give it a shot, just never done it before

No reading on the coils would indicate open coils. I have had this happen on several RF drivers after wailing on them. I suspect someone got happy with your system.

It makes me sick. I was in a rush two weekends ago and I needed to change the oil on the civic, so I took it to JL. I get back in the car, the HU settings are changed and it is on some hip hop station.

Would love to "talk" to the idiot that thinks it is ok to touch someone else's stereo.

No reading on the coils would indicate open coils. I have had this happen on several RF drivers after wailing on them. I suspect someone got happy with your system.

yeah, sucks for me :(

i've never had both voice coils go at once. they must have had it up pretty damn loud. the volume on the factory HU goes up to 33 and i never turn it up past 23 or 24, with the bass on 0 always. thats where the factory speakers start to sound crappy. So i had the gains set for that level. you know how many people keep turning up the stereo to the point it's distorting like crazy and think it sounds good, i don't get that chit. some kid probably took it to lunch and turned the bass all the way up for the ride or something

It makes me sick. I was in a rush two weekends ago and I needed to change the oil on the civic, so I took it to JL. I get back in the car, the HU settings are changed and it is on some hip hop station.

Would love to "talk" to the idiot that thinks it is ok to touch someone else's stereo.

yup, i remember when i worked at a dealership they made sure to stress the fact that you NEVER mess with someones stereo, and if you disconnect the battery to write down all the settings and presets. people are disrespectful of other peoples belongings and it's frustrating. not to mention the fact that last time i was there they used wheel cleaner on one of my ANODIZED wheels, left nasty spots on a brand new wheel that was over a grand, and tried like crazy to deny it. i have NOT had good luck with my aftermarket stuff there

Anyone have any ideas for a recone? i can probably get one from RF but if i can do something different i just may. i figured i might as well learn, and there is no time like the present

not sure if rockford even sells the kits or they just do them in house. GL reconing that bitch. If it makes u feel any better one of our customers at the shop has 3 re 8s blown by a shop when they cranked the gain crossover and every knob they could find on his amp.

3sixty FTW just mute all the outputs and dont worry.

RF does not do recones. They simply save all their drivers for refurbs, then send them to a factory to get them all done at once, then they come back on the market again. You'll have to find an independent company if you want it repaired, or buy another one.

I always remove my faceplate when I take it to a shop.

not sure if rockford even sells the kits or they just do them in house. GL reconing that bitch. If it makes u feel any better one of our customers at the shop has 3 re 8s blown by a shop when they cranked the gain crossover and every knob they could find on his amp.

3sixty FTW just mute all the outputs and dont worry.

Yeah, i am probably going to go with a 3sixty as soon as i have some extra $$$ to dump into stereo stuff. the more i think about it, the more i am thinking some kid took it out to lunch and noticed it had bass so he tried to turn the bass all the way up on the HU and see how loud it got, and it was not set up to do that

RF does not do recones. They simply save all their drivers for refurbs, then send them to a factory to get them all done at once, then they come back on the market again. You'll have to find an independent company if you want it repaired, or buy another one.

Well it was a decent temporary setup but i definitely would NOT buy another one if it came down to it, unless it was really cheap. i have seen places that say they sell RF recones, and i read somewhere that they offer recones for power series subs. i guess i'll try making a few calls. None of the stuff Scott has would work in this application, would it?

this is why i dont take my car to shops.

Warranty

I always remove my faceplate when I take it to a shop.

Factory Headunit

there's a fella that sell fogate recones on ebay... they come in a kit.. not sure if he has them for your woofer.. just type recone in the search line and you should be able to find them..

If the car will be staying at the shop I always pull the system out (not to mention I usually have it in for warranty repairs... not sure if the stereo voids the warranty).. if it's a rush (bad tire ect..) I'll pull the fuse and faceplate... never leave your stereo operational while at a shop... heck even our local audio shop blew my buddies woofers when he took the car in to have it detailed.. they denied it and said it was blown when he went in...

Kinda like my dad leaving his charger r/t at the ford dealer and picking it up with fresh rubber around the wheel wells.. :/ disrepectful workers...

Call RF Tech... They do recones. You just have to send the sub to them.

I hope you are going to talk to the shop about this right?

Yeah I wud talk to that shop about that..

If it were me i'd probally catch a charge, Cuz thats juss not right at all..

well like a month after i got my wheels they messed one up with wheel cleaner and caught hell and offered to pay, i'm not gonna give them any problems with this cause my car spends so much time there i don't want to have any issues, just gonna redo everything and unhook when its there next. i know that some dumb kid was probably tossing and turning in bed last night wondering if the service manager would call him into the office this morning, lol

Lmfao!

I bet that kid was too..

Next time you bring yer whip in there be ready fer what they might do to your chit..

Make sure they cant do nothing to your car..

just called RF tech, they don't do recones on these, but just dicounted warranty replacements (which are refurbs anyway) that i can't get cause i already cut mine apart

Then i called "the speaker exchange" who RF referred me to and they said that they have an extremely long back order on parts for these so it's unlikely. So i can get RF to recone it, and i can't get the parts = throwaway woofer.

sucks, i can't be dumping money into the audio thing right now like that but i guess it's time for something new. i wonder if any of the Fi recones could be made to work?

If you have the cash, or are willing to save enough..

You shud just buy an Fi..

:D

Yeah, i've been looking at a BL 12 someone is selling, also at the TC OEM's, Diamond TDX's and I love the Icon. I'm gonna get something used for now until the Xcon is released.

with any of those complicated woofers your not going to get any kind of recone by anyone but the manufacture

with any of those complicated woofers your not going to get any kind of recone by anyone but the manufacture

Yeah i figured that to be the case, it's just frustrating because now its just a paperweight. if i paid anywhere near retail for it i would be REALLY mad

my car is fixin to go in the shop too, first thing i do take all my stuff out of car. i really hate leaving my car at shops