Hey I wanted to know if I could get some help for a friend. His car is a 98 Toyota Avalon and he recently bought a 250amp mechman alternator. He switched out his old alt for his new alt(Everything on the new alternator is a plug and play), revved the engine made some minor positioning adjustments to get rid of the squeeky loose noise. We went to a bank to get some money for my brothers install he did. The battery was dead for some reason. So we thought maybe the remote wire for the subs was touching the power wire while in the bank for so long. That wasn't the case. Anyways we got a jump and headed to a auto performance shop to put my brothers new muffler on. Well on the way there the car was acting funny. Lights that should be off were on (ABS lights, Trac OFF, Airbags). The windows went down so slow. The head unit was shutting off and on repeatedly. So we are parked at the auto shop and I told my friend to see if the battery is dead. Well low and behold it is. I get a DMM out from the shop, check the voltage of the battery, its at 8volts!!!!!!! I was pissing my pants from this, then i hooked the DMM to the alt, and the alt power and a ground, well the alt was also at 8volts!!!! What the hell? We may think he got a defective alternator, And i am strongly thinking about not getting one now.

Anyone wanna help me help my friend with this kind of a big deal problem?

Thanks much appreciated,

Curt

Sounds wack to me. So basically what your saying is your alternator is only charging at 8 volts? Double check your grounds. Also do you have 1/0g power from the alt to the battery?

C'mon that's not low! LOL. I would email Mechman to find out whatever you can, or take it out and have Autozone or someone REALLY check it.

C'mon that's not low! LOL. I would email Mechman to find out whatever you can, or take it out and have Autozone or someone REALLY check it.

I called him today and only kept getting his answer machine.

voltage regulator gone bad?

Lol your guess is as good if not better than mine dude.

I haven't worked with a H/O alternator before.

Havnt heard anything wrong with his alts, give him a shout and I bet hell have the fix.

Havnt heard anything wrong with his alts, give him a shout and I bet hell have the fix.

I'll give him a call tomorrow before I run into work tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies,

Goodnight

Curt

How loose is the belt?? The pulley could be a smaller diameter so you may need a smaller belt.

How loose is the belt?? The pulley could be a smaller diameter so you may need a smaller belt.

The belt was what we were playing with the most. We made it as tight as possible, revved the engine and if the alt made a squeeky noise, we would go back and tighten it more. And I believe the belt had enough room for a nice fit.

honda accord why dont you take your little kid signature off. it makes you look like a fag. ill never own DDs myself but why stoop to that level. you must be a little 15 year old bitch. DD does so much for the car audio community and holds multiple records that you wont even be able to touch in your dreams

honda accord why dont you take your little kid signature off. it makes you look like a fag. ill never own DDs myself but why stoop to that level. you must be a little 15 year old bitch. DD does so much for the car audio community and holds multiple records that you wont even be able to touch in your dreams

I didn't make this thread for you to flame my signature. This signature was a joke started up on here maybe 3 or 4 months ago. I don't give a flying fuck what you think. I know DD is the most winning sub and respect that. But that isn't why I did that. NOW if you wanna talk about why I did this then PM me, until then STFU and GTFO if you have no input on what the real discussion is about.

Thank you,

Curt

That's what you need to do first Autozone doesnt know how to check alternators properly

He wont be back until monday

If you have a problem, either keep it to yourself, or PM a mod or admin.

If you have a problem, either keep it to yourself, or PM a mod or admin.

Someone please delete that post, or edit it.

That's what you need to do first Autozone doesnt know how to check alternators properly

He wont be back until monday

Monday is columbus day, would he still be open on this holiday?

most are open for it. Unless he didnt realize it was and is not open idk

Ok, my friend got his car back from the shop today and he said that the alternator is now working properly and doing 234amps at some rpms I forget. But there were melted wires and blown fuses and that's what the problem was he said.

But all is good now.

Thanks for all who replied and much appreciated,

Curt

melted wires and burnt fuses?

i take it when u installed the new alt u didn't upgrade the wires...that'll do ya

He actually did the Big 3 before the install but never fused the wire going from the batt+ to the alt (If that were the case). But there were wires that were hanging over near the alt and that must have caused it to melt which lead to the melted wires and I dunno how blown fuses but yea.

Thanks for everyone's input,

Curt