sinistervr6

SSD 12 OR Q12

ok so i am trying to pick the right sub and set up for me..

the car is a 98 Lexus gs300

i currently have a jl audio 500/1, but can give it to a friend and pay a little more for a jl 1000/1

i listen to mostly hip hop/rap..and some times house and rock..but not often..

i would like 1 12, ssd has a rms of 800 and the q of 1000, i figured the q would be better for me in case i ever feel like its not loud enough i could just get a more powerful amp, but figured i would ask as i don't have any experience with fi..

also for box design i know everyone asks the same question go with a sealed or ported box..

i would think a ported since i listen to alot of hip hop..

any and all help is greatly appreciated

Those are both solid choices. Have you also looked at our other manufactures on this site?

SSA Icon

Soundsplinter

Incriminator Audio

Mach5

Sundown

DC Audio

etc

All make great subs for you to choose from

Those are both solid choices. Have you also looked at our other manufactures on this site?

SSA Icon

Soundsplinter

Incriminator Audio

Mach5

Sundown

DC Audio

etc

All make great subs for you to choose from

yea i was orig looking at re audio, dc audio, dd, and treo engineering..

i chose the fi due to other forumns and how everyone was saying they liked the fi..

i would sell the 500/1 but i wouldnt get the 1000/1 id look into a saz1500d and a fi bl or a dc lvl4xl or a sundown nightshade. the 1000/1 is over priced and any one of those three subs would work well for you with the saz1500d.

i would sell the 500/1 but i wouldnt get the 1000/1 id look into a saz1500d and a fi bl or a dc lvl4xl or a sundown nightshade. the 1000/1 is over priced and any one of those three subs would work well for you with the saz1500d.

the reason i was going to go with the jl is it was only 400 and the guy is going to buy my 500/1 for 300 so its only 100 out of pocket..why the bl and not the q or ssd?

Bigger amp, BL, ported

It's a good match for rap.

Bigger amp, BL, ported

It's a good match for rap.

ok so i just noticed the bl is the same price as the q..now as far as options i see the cooling is $0 for it and the p chamfer is $10 but it wont let me pick the option it says that its included with the cooling.. is that correct? also flatwind option and daily is what i am looking for correct? and since my amp is up to 0.5 ohm stable should i get the the d2 so that if i later change the amp i dont have to worry about ohm load?

I'm looking on JL's website and it shows that the 1000/1 does 1000watts at 1.5 ohms. I bet it would be stable at 1 ohm, but I've never used one. I'd wait for someone who has run one to chime in on that, and if it is get the D2. All those options you mentioned are correct.

I run a 10'' BL on a JL 1000/1 at 2 ohms. It's a great match up in my opinion. Sure you can send more power to the BL but I think it does just fine at 1000 watts...but this may be due to my enclosure being bigger than the suggested size thus making the subwoofer more efficient.

ive heard of slash series amps messing up when they did 1 ohm or .5

wierd regulated power...

but hell yeah, GET THE BL...you wont regret it. sundown amps are an excellent choice too. JL is all over priced.

they are insanely loud.

I'm looking on JL's website and it shows that the 1000/1 does 1000watts at 1.5 ohms. I bet it would be stable at 1 ohm, but I've never used one. I'd wait for someone who has run one to chime in on that, and if it is get the D2. All those options you mentioned are correct.

yea sorry just looked at there site, its the 1000/1 version 1 its 1000 watts at 1.5 ohms-4 ohms..

ive heard of slash series amps messing up when they did 1 ohm or .5

wierd regulated power...

but hell yeah, GET THE BL...you wont regret it. sundown amps are an excellent choice too. JL is all over priced.

they are insanely loud.

amp wise im looking at about $400 buck range..besides price would i look for a sundown 1200 then?? or there 1000?

also with a sundown since they are 1 ohm stable would i get the d1 then?

You could use the 1000/1, just order the BL in dual 2...wire in series.

You could use the 1000/1, just order the BL in dual 2...wire in series.

i dont have the jl yet i have there 500/1 but a co worker is buying it, so i was just going to take the money he gives me and put in a extra $100, and get a jl 1000, but if it will be easier i can just get the sundown 1500 or 1000 its about the same price, also what about us amps? i saw they were a forum sponser, are there amps any good? they have a xt4000d thats 1500 watts at 1 ohm

i think you should consider the sae-1000 or sae-1200 over the others mentioned

Well, I'm suggesting them, not that I have anything against the JL.

Well, I'm suggesting them, not that I have anything against the JL.

thank you i will deff look into it...how about the us amp XT4000D?? says 1500 at 1 ohm and its under $400 depending where you get it from

I would steer clear of the USamps XT Series. It was line they released to try and snag a share of the budget market, so they are decent, but no great. I think a new SAE-1200 or used SAZ-1500 would be a great choice. they actually are pretty comparable on paper, too.

I would steer clear of the USamps XT Series. It was line they released to try and snag a share of the budget market, so they are decent, but no great. I think a new SAE-1200 or used SAZ-1500 would be a great choice. they actually are pretty comparable on paper, too.

thank you and i will try to steer clear..so can some one tell me why to go with a bl and not a q? they both handle the same amount of power but the q has a xmax of 27mm where as the bl is 21mm..is the bl more for spl? and the q for sq?

thats basically right. but dont get the impression that the bl puts out crappy sound, it's just that if your listening to hip-hop or rap, your not really looking for an sq woofer. the way a sub sounds is really dependant on how you build your enclosure.

thats basically right. but dont get the impression that the bl puts out crappy sound, it's just that if your listening to hip-hop or rap, your not really looking for an sq woofer. the way a sub sounds is really dependant on how you build your enclosure.

so with a bl should i expect more booom? if i was to put either the q or the bl in lets say a 3 cu box, square port tuned to 33hz same amp same everything only variable is the sub between teh bl and the q what should i expect the diff to be?