Dee

Need Something Louder

I'm in the process of planning out another system for my car. I have a Hyundai XG300 with about 5 cubes max to work with. I already have Infinity Kappa Components in the front and rear currently only powered by the H.U. (Alpine CDA-9886). For the sub woofer i have an 18" Fi Audio Bl With all options in a 5cuft box tuned to about 32Hz being pushed with a Kicker ZX1500.1. I Have Knu Konceptz Kolossus 1/0 AWG wire for power/ground with a Red Top under the hood. I have a Rockford 360.2 acting as my current S.S.F. (was going to use it for 4channel but never got around to ordering one). Im planning on selling all of this except the door speakers and redesigning my sub woofer set up. My Budget is around 1 grand right now but can save up a more if necessary.

Firs off, I. I listen to mostly rap with a little R&B every now and then but pretty much nothing else. My main was to get my system as loud as possible for daily listening while retaining reasonably (if possible) SQ. I'm not a big fan of realy loud high bass like the first couple notes in "White Girl" By Young Jeezy But the relay deep bass like that in "Bass I Love you" by ? and "Late Night Tip" by Three 6 Mafia. So I'm Thinking 15's or Bigger. I'd prefer to go with a sealed box because of the lack of space and most likely need for a large box, but ported might be better in my situation.

My question are

1) Which Subs should i go with

2) What sizes

3) How Many

4) Ported Or Sealed (Tuning Freq. If Ported)

5) What Amp to Power Them

I'm looking into going with a sundown amp but don't want to decide until i pick my subs.

Thanks in Advance & For Taking Time to Read

it's going to be hard to get any louder with only 5 cubes. You're basically limited to two 15s sealed or two 12s ported. To get louder you'll also most likely have to step up amp power.

Maybe try two nightshades and a 3000D. May have to step up your budget.

It amazes me when people say "I want more sound quality" , and then they throw a pair of big subs in thier car, put 3 kwatts to them, and run speakers off the H.U. How in the world are you going to get anything but bass with 22 watts running to your mids, and 3000 to your subs???? I dont mean to flame you dude, but really. You have the 360 already... use it. Buy a good 2 or 4 channel amp, they are only a couple hundred bucks. You wont regret it.

It amazes me when people say "I want more sound quality" , and then they throw a pair of big subs in thier car, put 3 kwatts to them, and run speakers off the H.U. How in the world are you going to get anything but bass with 22 watts running to your mids, and 3000 to your subs???? I dont mean to flame you dude, but really. You have the 360 already... use it. Buy a good 2 or 4 channel amp, they are only a couple hundred bucks. You wont regret it.

Dude, I am goin to amp up my door speakers and use the 360 to its full potental. I am waiting on speed cable and my 4ch rcas to come in while i was deciding on what 4ch to get. I am simply asking how can i get more bass out of my car. And please show me where i said I said "I wanted more SQ from my woofer." I said i want it louder with some reasonabal SQ, I know SPL and SQ are complete opposites and its eather one or the other.

it's going to be hard to get any louder with only 5 cubes. You're basically limited to two 15s sealed or two 12s ported. To get louder you'll also most likely have to step up amp power.

Maybe try two nightshades and a 3000D. May have to step up your budget.

That's what i was thinking. Other options I have breafly researched were gettin 4 12's in a sealed box. In doing this more cone area will be present (in theory) but that allwais dosn't mean any thing.

Or

Walling off my my trunk to turn that into a box, but (in doing that) i would have to fire the subs away from the cabin (not sure how that will effect responce mainly because I rearly ever see anyone fire the subs in a walled enclosure anywhere but foward.

I am also flexable on the budget

Luckily, spl and sq are NOT mutually exclusive...... at least in a daily setup. As far as your bass issue goes, Are you running sealed for any particular reason? 2 Ported 12's will probably give you more spl than 4 sealed ones( in the right box). That 18 BL is a monster, A guy I saw at a comp hit 151 with 2 of them ported around 32 hz as well. I would think 1 ported should hit the mid to high 140's. Step up to a btl and double your power is another thing I would look at to get louder.

Luckily, spl and sq are NOT mutually exclusive...... at least in a daily setup. As far as your bass issue goes, Are you running sealed for any particular reason? 2 Ported 12's will probably give you more spl than 4 sealed ones( in the right box). That 18 BL is a monster, A guy I saw at a comp hit 151 with 2 of them ported around 32 hz as well. I would think 1 ported should hit the mid to high 140's. Step up to a btl and double your power is another thing I would look at to get louder.

The sealed box would passably allow me to add more cone area without dramatically increasing the actual side of the box (port & extra bracing displacement) They sometimes offer more accurate bass but not always. If I can find 2 12s that would have a lot more output than an 18" bl then i would take those hands down.

Ever thought of 2 18" Q's sealed? and an amp upgrade?

Ever thought of 2 18" Q's sealed? and an amp upgrade?

Hes only got 5 cubes to work with. I dont think 2 q18's will work in that.

I have explored that option.. But with the 15s due to lack of space. Also looked in to re audio mx 15s senct they can be put in a sealed box..

If i build a walled enclosere i would gain some more air space. Only reason i put 5 cuft for the box is because it would be a strugle to get any thing bigger in

I have explored that option.. But with the 15s due to lack of space. Also looked in to re audio mx 15s senct they can be put in a sealed box..

If i build a walled enclosere i would gain some more air space. Only reason i put 5 cuft for the box is because it would be a strugle to get any thing bigger in

Well struggle then! LOL

Well struggle then! LOL

Lol we struggled for 2 days to get the 5 cuft box in..next time, building the box inside the car might be a little eaiser

Edited by Dee

I'm thing about going with two 15" L7s. I had two l L5 15s and liked the way they sounded (considring they were badly abused before i got them) . I like the fact they can take a sealed box down to 1.5cuft

I'm thing about going with two 15" L7s. I had two l L5 15s and liked the way they sounded (considring they were badly abused before i got them) . I like the fact they can take a sealed box down to 1.5cuft

L7s??? in my opinion arent really good sounding drivers. they get LOUD. but do they sound good? i dont think so.

personally i would go with the RE MXs.

Edited by Jason907

Luckily, spl and sq are NOT mutually exclusive...... at least in a daily setup.

I agreed with your first post more :D

The phrase "daily setup" irks me about as much as ""SQL"" does...:P

Luckily, spl and sq are NOT mutually exclusive...... at least in a daily setup.

I agreed with your first post more :D

The phrase "daily setup" irks me about as much as "SQL" does...:P

Terms are stupid; however, as for not being mutually exclusive if being put in a box with a polar opposite response doesn't cause that to your ears you are really confused.