mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

SAN FRANCISCO -- Major League Baseball's all-time home run king Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction justice charges, according to KTVU reporter Rita Williams.

The five-count indictment -- four counts of perjury and one of obstruction of justice -- could put baseball's home run king in prison for up to 30 years.

:popcorn:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Major League Baseball's all-time home run king Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction justice charges, according to KTVU reporter Rita Williams.

The five-count indictment -- four counts of perjury and one of obstruction of justice -- could put baseball's home run king in prison for up to 30 years.

:popcorn:

yup sit back and watch the show lol

One of the intro engineering classes they build balsa wood towers, and they have to break them where I work so I get to see some of them. My god, I swear some of these people are complete idiots when it comes to building something.

they're engineers, it's not that surprising

Ha! :lol:

The number of engineering majors I find that don't know the first thing about building/welding/fabrication is amazing.

I think they should make a shop safety, basic shop tools, intro to building chit, and welding classes mandatory for all engineering majors. The option to test out would be available, and it would be a no studying hands on only test. Come up with something and they have 2hrs to build it.

If an Electrical Engineering student can weld better than about 95% of the other engineering majors that I've seen in this school, thats bad.

I think they should make a shop safety, basic shop tools, intro to building chit, and welding classes mandatory for all engineering majors. The option to test out would be available, and it would be a no studying hands on only test. Come up with something and they have 2hrs to build it.

I second the motion. Though given the option to test out I probably wouldn't

Those are the classes my Dad always calls common sense classes. And surprisingly thats what most engineers lack

Edit: stupid engineer can't spell

Edited by MKader17

I second the motion. Though given the option to test out I probably wouldn't

You have to give the option to test out, because you would have someone like me who would sit in the back, get bored, and cause problems. :)

I dunno, I guess I can just see the difference between engineering and technician. At least locally, it is well acknowledged that engineers aren't required to be able to build everything or even that much, but those who are doing real field work need to.

I'm not good with woodwork because I don't do it much, but I'm not sure that makes me a bad EE.

If an Electrical Engineering student can weld better than about 95% of the other engineering majors that I've seen in this school, thats bad.

I remember showing some schematics to some EE friends @ NCSU, and them not following what I was talking about...granted it wasn't solid state, but c'mon :)

That's what they should have - basics of vacuum tube theory :P

Perfect for aspiring roadies fixing guitar amps, audiophool dweebs and Third World aircraft mechanics.

I dunno, I guess I can just see the difference between engineering and technician. At least locally, it is well acknowledged that engineers aren't required to be able to build everything or even that much, but those who are doing real field work need to.

I'm not good with woodwork because I don't do it much, but I'm not sure that makes me a bad EE.

im pretty good at it and im and EE just takes experience and what u have been exposed to

I think a lot of things are being missed in a regular book education for engineering. They are missing stuff that you can only learn by hands on work, you can't teach welding out of a book, you can't teach work site knowledge/safety out of a book. It is something that is overlooked to me that is a real necessity. I'm not real sure on the correct way to voice my distaste of the actual mechanical knowledge of a lot of the engineering students.

It might be that since I grew up in a very mechanical, hands on, family where we fix everything ourselves and had to learn how to take things apart, fix 'em, put them back together, etc, that puts me on a different playing field a lot of the other students.

I think a lot of things are being missed in a regular book education for engineering. They are missing stuff that you can only learn by hands on work, you can't teach welding out of a book, you can't teach work site knowledge/safety out of a book. It is something that is overlooked to me that is a real necessity. I'm not real sure on the correct way to voice my distaste of the actual mechanical knowledge of a lot of the engineering students.

It might be that since I grew up in a very mechanical, hands on, family where we fix everything ourselves and had to learn how to take things apart, fix 'em, put them back together, etc, that puts me on a different playing field a lot of the other students.

the engineering faculty doesn't care whether we can actually apply anything we learn

they just try to turn us into number-crunching computers

I think it is an advantage, for sure, but I don't see how something like an inability to, say, build a balsa wood tower would prevent me from being able to design various electronic circuits. I know which of the two is more valuable as an EE.

You have to give the option to test out, because you would have someone like me who would sit in the back, get bored, and cause problems. :)

Those are exactly the reasons why I wouldn't test out?!?!

Those are exactly the reasons why I wouldn't test out?!?!

sleepy time and to laugh and dumbasses questions

Its the fact that I expect a person with a degree/working on one to be knowledgeable (at least a little bit) in the entire field of engineering, not just their own little niche.

Just a fundamental disagreement then, I suppose. Not saying that there isn't value in having knowledge in a variety of fields, just disagree on what is and isn't required to be a good engineer.

I suppose so.

Something that all engineering people are good at, disagreeing. :)

Hmm, Calc III test in 40min.

Not going to be pretty.

I suppose so.

Something that all engineering people are good at, disagreeing. :)

I disagree, I think we can all agree :D

Its the fact that I expect a person with a degree/working on one to be knowledgeable (at least a little bit) in the entire field of engineering, not just their own little niche.

but the problem is that in our current society, engineering is all about designing, the actual construction is left to someone else