mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

howdy.

a friggin party in here, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

TOP :nutkick:

and you guys really make me feel dumb.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I just bought the Oppo upconvert DVD player (1080p)

Did you know that if you have a TV smaller than 50" and sit more than 7' away from it, you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? And the only TRUE 1080Pviewing choices are PS3 games. I don't know why, but movies are not yet able to take advantage of the full HD, just 1080i.

Did you know that if you have a TV smaller than 50" and sit more than 7' away from it, you cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? And the only TRUE 1080Pviewing choices are PS3 games. I don't know why, but movies are not yet able to take advantage of the full HD, just 1080i.

Hmmm, thanks for the info.

The fridge is open if you can make it down here. :)

*offer extended to anyone on the forum, anytime*

not enough beer

Come over, I can solve that problem usually anytime

Anyone know where I can get a 2000 remote for a VW? My dad's is really effed and he only got one with his car. It is the little flip remote. Used would be fine as I *assume* that I can just put his cut key on it.

So after weeks of looking, reading, and thinking about things I have narrowed my current choices down to 3 car bodies. Here are the current requirements: Under 3300lbs, if I am going to make some beast handle it can't be a boat; capable of accepting a variety of suspension goodies, I expect that SLA's, coilovers, sways, and probably a 4 link rear end; somewhat unique; 2 doors, but 4 seats; and of course, my tall ass has to fit very comfortably. In the end it has to not only out handle and out accelerate my M5, but it also has to look like it could when it is sitting still.

1969-1970 Mustang, I prefer the 70 but 69 could easily work. The idea would be to make a modern Mach1 with an aluminum 351w stroked out to 408 and running 6 psi of boost from the powerdyne centrifugal that I already own mated to a TKO 600 overdrive 5 spd. This is the only car you could preview as I think this one is done really well.

HPIM0714a.jpg

The advantage of the Mustang is I can throw nearly unlimited funds and be sure that I get them out in the end if I sell the car. Disadvantage to me is they are a bit small on the inside and they aren't that uncommon. Even though the picture I listed is the only true 1970 G machine I have ever seen.

1968-1969 Ford Torino/Fairlane

Pretty much the body style of the red car I posted earlier this week. I love the originality of the car, it reminds me of the Galaxie, but I am a bit concerned at the final value of something if I go ballastic with it. Also, if I do a fastback I think it will take some serious wheelwell work to do what I want as the back is so big it needs some flares. The standard hardtop doesn't have that problem, but it isn't quite as "desirable" as a body. Again in an effort to minimize weight and make the beast handle, the same engine and tranny combo from above would be used. I fit nicely in these, more space than the mustang like my next choice, but still light actually lighter than a 1970 Stang.

1966-1967 Lemans/GTO

The thing I like here is everyone restores these and doesn't go pro-touring on them which is all the more reason to build one. There is enough of a following that I could easily sell it in the future. Here I would actually probably use a carbureted LSx block with a TKO or T56 if it would fit without really customizing the shit out of the floor pans. The con for me here is the same problem I have with the 66-67 Fairlanes, the stacked vertical headlights don't appeal to me as much on a car that is dropped to 4" off the ground. The whole sleekness of the other two have me favor them, but still a possibility. Also it is a bit heavy but at least I would fit comfortably.

What lost out and why:

67-68 Camaro -- the unique factor is gone as there must be a couple hundred already built

67-68 Firebird -- my best friend has one (69 which I don't like but shhhh)

71-72 Challenger/Cuda -- holy shit are they expensive and hard to make handle (I love the 71 though, the cheese grater front end is sweet)

68-69 Charger -- if the right one fell in my lap perhaps, but even though I loved them as kids the Dukes ruined this car and the aftermarket support is terrible. Plus what could I build that is lightweight, spins some RPM's and is Mopar?

72 AMC Javelin -- I like the 70 as well, but I just can't do it

70 Dart/71 Demon -- considering its shape it just isn't as cool as the Torino

64 Fairlane -- this I came close on, but the whole Thunderbolt drag look is too entrenched in the car to remove

70 Torino -- I love the front end, but the rounded back end is too fat and out of proportion.

71-72 Mustang -- still a possibility but I'd like to see what someone original has done with the grill since it needs to go

67-68 Cougar -- no fastback otherwise it would probably win out

One other thing, if at all possible I would prefer flip up headlights. If I do a Torino at some point in its life it would receive a custom set.

Why the big list? I am still open for rec'd even though at this point it is pretty narrowed down. So speak up. (again)

By the way, Tom did one of the neatest things that anyone has done for me in sending a big box of Chevy Performance and other mags outlining builds on Camaro's in a hope to sway me that way. Complete with a cover sheet outlining which articles that he thought I should read. It was very useful information to the point where I nearly feel bad that I am not doing a Camaro. In this case, 18 years of driving Fords with good experiences and around 1 year with a Chevy truck that hasn't been is coloring me a bit as well but either way I wanted to let my mangs know my feelings and thoughts.

lol don't worry about not getting a Camaro, I agree that they're fairly common in the musclecar scene

also, you know i've got to vote for the GTO/Lemans, the 66-67 A-body is one of my favorite car bodies, and i may know of one sitting in a junkyard

and you should've told me you were looking at the LSX block, i have atleast one more magazine covering that :P

I wasn't looking at an LSX block, I sort of think the motor is a bit of joke as it is really pretty much a slightly modernized 50-60's block but in this case it works. To me the draw is a less than $1k aluminum block that can support a top end that will spin. Also the new GTO's have nice seats so doing a GTO transplant into a GTO is fairly logical and cool in a stock sort of way. To save hassle, I'd probably run a carb anyways...at least at first.

If anyone has a link to the easiest way to dismantle a '90 chevy truck dash. Please post it up.

I wasn't looking at an LSX block, I sort of think the motor is a bit of joke as it is really pretty much a slightly modernized 50-60's block but in this case it works. To me the draw is a less than $1k aluminum block that can support a top end that will spin. Also the new GTO's have nice seats so doing a GTO transplant into a GTO is fairly logical and cool in a stock sort of way. To save hassle, I'd probably run a carb anyways...at least at first.

are you talking about one of the LS motors or the LSX block? I assume the former because the LSX block retails at $2500 and is iron, but it can support over 500 cubes of displacement.

If anyone has a link to the easiest way to dismantle a '90 chevy truck dash. Please post it up.

www.installdr.com ?

One other bene of the goat is the full frame, no channeling required to really plop something sweet underneath for it to sit on. In the stang it would be a pain in the ass and probably make it so I don't fit which means bolt on stuff, and personally I think a custom chassis would be sweet. An example of putting a full frame under a 69 stang:

http://www.superrod.com/Media/Publications...BUCKBLDOFF2.pdf

are you talking about one of the LS motors or the LSX block? I assume the former because the LSX block retails at $2500 and is iron, but it can support over 500 cubes of displacement.

I meant LSx (where x is replaceable) not that LSX. Obviously a bit of a faux pas, but it shows that I am not much of a Chevy guy.

On my list of won't do I left off the most disturbing of all cars to me as well. The 65-68 Mustang, within a week of Gone in 60sec I was Eleanored out.

I meant LSx (where x is replaceable) not that LSX. Obviously a bit of a faux pas, but it shows that I am not much of a Chevy guy.

most people refer to them as LSx motors, it's just confusing now that there actually is a LSX

I didn't realize there was an iron LSX either.