manbeer

need some help piecing together new front stage for new interior

I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish my goals here while maintaining a reasonable budget. i will eventually go higher end, but for now i have other things i need to spend money on. With my original doors in place i was limited to a 6.5-7" midrange and tweeter. I was considering the Seas prestige textile domes for the high end, and the AA Poly's or the ID Oem's from the guy on CA.com that are like tweaked CX64 drivers. New setup was built around DLS Iridium 8.3's with a 8 inch midbass, 3 inch midrange, and 1.1" tweeter. the actual door panel has a sealed enclosure of expanding foam and 1/4" thin birch ply attached, but i will have to cut it apart and reshape with glass cause it won't fit onto my door unless i cut metal. So figuring i can do up to an 8" midbass, does it still make sense to go for the aforementioned drivers or should i take advantage of the full 8" and try to find something to make the most of that space? as far as the tweeter i will most likely still go with those Seas, and for the midrange i am undecided. i was actually thinking of just putting in a 7" and a planar tweeter where the old mid was, but it would be a poor location IMO. maybe i should try to find a matching seas 4" or something, or maybe i was thinking of peerless SLS 8" on the midbass, and peerless 4". i haven't had so many options to play with before so this is a whole new ballgame for me. I may even be able to fit a pair of e8s in the doors, but not sure how they would react to the either extremely small sealed area i could give them, or basically being mounted ib with the inside of the door as an enclosure :)

Edit: here is a pic of the layout

igvbskv%20(10).JPG

Edited by manbeer

If you can do an 8, :doit: but then you only need a 3-4" midrange and a tweeter

any recommendations on a resonably priced pair of 8"? i was thinking of dayton reference or peerless SLS

any recommendations on a resonably priced pair of 8"? i was thinking of dayton reference or peerless SLS

I used one of the Dayton reference 8in in my car for some midbass, it was in a .5 cube sealed box, it had great sq but couldnt seem to handle that much power (maybe 200 rms) so i couldnt turn it up too much. Today i just ordered 4 of the E8s from the presale($60 each). i hope one of those will work out better than the dayton( i think the dayton needs a bigger box to perform better)

Edited by fritosaregood

Peerles SLS or Exclusive 8

or

Seas L22.

What if giving the midbass a sealed enclosure is not an option? i mean, they are set up sealed now but i will have to cut them apart to fit on my unmodified door shell. if i can go sealed it probably wont give enough airspace so the best i can do is dampen the hell out of the doors and run IB. also how are the E8's for midbass? i thought they were strictly sub-bass drivers?

The SLSs would be a great option, but I'd think you'd have to run them with a pretty low Xover point, so your midrange is going to have to cover a lot of territory. I see you're dealing with a manual, may be hard to get them on-axis with the clutch pedal but it can be done :)

so in the event that i chose the SLS, it would probably be beneficial for me to go with a 4 inch midrange and tweak the door panel a bit then to go with a 3, eh? That way they would more likely take up some slack

You don't want to run the midbass sealed, IB would be better. The midrange might benefit from a sealed enclosure, but ti will take some experimenting to get it right. A 3" in a kick enclosure can easily blend with the SLS.

I used one of the Dayton reference 8in in my car for some midbass, it was in a .5 cube sealed box, it had great sq but couldnt seem to handle that much power (maybe 200 rms) so i couldnt turn it up too much. Today i just ordered 4 of the E8s from the presale($60 each). i hope one of those will work out better than the dayton( i think the dayton needs a bigger box to perform better)

how in the heck much power are you wanting to send these things? 200+ is crazy. if a midbass can handle 200 watts I'd say it's doing exceptionally well.

how in the heck much power are you wanting to send these things? 200+ is crazy. if a midbass can handle 200 watts I'd say it's doing exceptionally well.

i was thinking the same, i'll be sending them about 150, and the mids and tweets about 80, off of a rockford T3002 and a T4004

i was thinking the same, i'll be sending them about 150, and the mids and tweets about 80, off of a rockford T3002 and a T4004

i had an alpine pdx 5 powering everythin, and it was puttin out 100rms per channel to the doors and rear deck. and addin the sub was unnoticeble almost. i think it was because i had it in an undersized box, which is why i posted on here about it because i thought i read something about using .5 cubes for it.

oh ok, i was going to use a pair of them in the front door, as midbass speakers so for that they should be fine