the streetwires are pretty good wires.

Man, I remember paying $1.29 a foot back in the day, at weldingsupply.

Man, I remember paying $1.29 a foot back in the day, at weldingsupply.

was that cable flexible. there is a lowes down here with some 1/0 for around 2.50 a foot, but i couldnt even bend their 4 gauge.

yea it was flexible, it was the kind that had the outer white jacket.

Is taht wire good?

i hate the way you type. :bull:

What makes a wire good ?

It's still copper under the insulation...

what do you guys look at when you say that the wires are good?

i have seen that not all 1/0 wires are the same. check the actual thread counts and look at the material around the strands.

some companies use thicker insulation to call their wires 1/0 wires when it really has as many strands as another company's 2 gauge.

Edited by phi

What makes a wire good ?

It's still copper under the insulation...

damn, you had to post right before me. lol

i have seen that not all 1/0 wires are the same. check the actual thread counts and look at the material around the strands.

some companies use thicker insulation to call their wires 1/0 wires when it really has as many strands as another company's 2 gauge.

Copper is copper as far as energy capacity..

"Good" wire usually indicates that it's very flexible, very easy to work with, and easy to cut.

The higher the strand count of the copper, the more flexible it typically is. The lesser number and ticker the strands are, the more stiff and harder to work with the wire is.

exactly

Copper is copper as far as energy capacity..

"Good" wire usually indicates that it's very flexible, very easy to work with, and easy to cut.

The higher the strand count of the copper, the more flexible it typically is. The lesser number and ticker the strands are, the more stiff and harder to work with the wire is.

In my opinion flexibility will only count once and that is when you run the wire. I have used wire that wasn't too flexible. Can't complain about it.

I went down to my local Lordco and picked up a total of 60 feet of red and black wire (40 red, 20 black), 1/0, and got it for about $50.

Well, no. Here's why...

The gauge is a cross sectional area of the wire, it has nothing to do with strand count. You can have 1 strand 0 gauage wire and 4000 strand 0 gauge wire. Obviously the 4000 strand wire will be much more flexible, but it will also be much larger in diameter due to all the extra surface area of the individual strands and the (un-perfect) layering of them.

The (DC) current capacity of both of these wires will be exactly the same.

Many companies have a lower strand count because it is cheaper to produce. Many companies also put thick insulation on to make the wire look even bigger.

But, the bottom line is Awg is Awg as far as total amount of cross sectional area. I really doubt even the crappiest companies cheat this, it just appears they do because they use less, but thicker, stands because it is cheaper to produce.

thats all true assuming companies done lie. and we all no nothing is sacred in car audio. comapnies use awg about as much as the cea 06 amp rating standard