Sign in to follow this  
Goeddel

few questions

so i am thinking about buying 2 12" Fi BTLs and was wondering how good is the sq on them and how loud do they get? do you think it would be aplicable to run 2 of them off 2k each daily? but mainly wondering about the sq of them. are they able to handle some double bass with ease or do they make it sound like a big mess? any thoughs on the 12 btl is wanted and welcome. thanks

Edited by Goeddel

To the OP Ill answer your quick little question and tell you they would be just fine off 2k daily with no problem.. I ran 3k daily to each of my 12's(older version) and I had great sound quality and I could still put up some fairly good numbers on the TermLab.. The only bad thing to describe and I hate doing it is SQ is different like a fingerprint to everybody.. What one thinks sounds like crap the other might think sounds the best he has ever heard. So I say get them and try them out.. If you dont like them you can sell them and try somethin else maybe the BL series

Edited by Fi Car Audio

Now remember, the way a woofer preforms is usually 80-90% enclosure and only 10-20% woofer... Any woofer can have great SQ if its in the right enclosure

So then the enduser of the speaker doesn't have to build to recommended specs.. He can get his own Dayton Audio T/S meter and use the cook book to whip up his own box design.

are they able to handle some double bass with ease or do they make it sound like a big mess?

If you're really concerned about playing double bass, I'd work on your midbass first :)

So then the enduser of the speaker doesn't have to build to recommended specs.. He can get his own Dayton Audio T/S meter and use the cook book to whip up his own box design.

I agree completely, but with the emphasis out there on "excursion vids", if the typical user actually went ahead and built a box that limited cone travel and maximized linearity, they'd probably think something was wrong with the sub or cook it thermally :P

Well then I'd blame the enduser, because they should at least be able to smell coil burning and distortion in the speaker.. If they cant then they really need to re-think a proper setup

Until parameters are posted on those subs (won't likely happen) everything like transient response will be heresay.

And I mean heresay in a big way. You will find tons of people who will say a BTL has had some of the best sound quality they have heard.... They may say the same of an MT.... They also may say a Tumult sounded horrible....

Seriously, without measurements and objective reviews (very, very rare on a car audio forum) everything about sound quality, is, well...... Subjective....

Chances are, if you spend a bunch of money and do a good job, you are going to think it sounds awesome.

I say, if you dont have a woofer T/S meter and you really want to know the specs. Then go buy the Dayton WT3 woofer tester from partsexpress.com and fire away.. I have one and used it to get the specs off my BTL 15".. Then I built the box accordingly. They slam and in this vid you cant really pic up all the flex because my digital camera was a crappy wal-mart one.. Also the volume is only 1/2.

Edited by Thumper

How long did you break in those BTL's before you measured them?

Edited by BKOLFO4

They change a lot after during the first few hours of playing them really hard. . .

Oh without a doubt! I was smart enough to take another test measure and then built the box accordingly... The fs dropped a good 4hz as well :D

Sign in to follow this