Sign in to follow this  
boy.kroy

Low Frequency Extension

What would be a good Subwoofer choice (12"), If my preferences were in this order: 1.) LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION 2.) SOUND QUALITY 3.) SPL ?

I have 800-1000w into 2ohms

I only Need One

Space is not a Issue

I am using 8" MidBass

2 would be acceptable

How you install it will be by far the most determining factor here, given enough linear throw. Something like an Icon, CSS SDX, Fi IB 12", installed in infinite baffle will take care of your first two requirements nicely. You won't need anywhere near that kind of power, though.

I apologize for using the capitals and not thoroughly reading the rules, or not giving enough info on my system or car.

The equipment I currently have is 1 zed audio deuce, 1 (original) oz audio matrix elite 180cs not the new ones, 1 phoenix gold titanium elite 12d

everything is still in the box never installed. I am planning on putting the oz comps in the rear, and running the front active (2 way or maybe 3 way) I want to keep my deuce, but i am considering selling my pg ti12d elite because i dont like the parameters that i got for it from my dayton audio wt2 which are:

fs-36

qts-0.77

qes-0.87

vas-39L

re-1.6

Le-1(0.997)

Xmax([coil length-gap height]/2)-25.4mm(Car Audio & Electronics mag)

Bl-somewhere around 11 tm(different readings from wt2)

1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe(back seats fold down)

I guess my question is, should i sell the pg ti12d elite and get something else and if so what? I listen to rap, hip-hop, r&b, techno, jungle&bass(aphrodite), some alternative and classic rock, no jazz, no classical. I want it to sound deep, clear and loud inside the car(in order of importance) but i dont care how it sounds outside. If i should keep the pg ti12d elite what enclosure, installation? From my research i have found different parameters than what was measured and different opinions. I read that it loves low frequencies and i would need a strong midbass crossed over low but i have a calibrated wt2 and i get a fs of atleast 36 which i thought was high. Also I just purchased a 2006 toyota tacoma Access cab or extended cab, which one would be better for the install(tacoma or civic)? I am not expecting anyone to bash someone elses products or push there own product, i am simply asking what would u do?

Edited by boykroy

Was that a DVC sub? If so, did you measure with both coils connected? Q looks high, even for a car audio sub...

Yeah, then I also don't like the way the driver measured either.

Much better, thank you.

A D1 Icon would be a rather perfect fit with your requirements

I am going to read the rules before posting in here again.

Thank you for doing that. It is much more helpful if the person asking the question provides enough info so that the people that are able to help out can reach a more accurate goal or answer.

Much better, thank you.

A D1 Icon would be a rather perfect fit with your requirements

A SSA Icon D1 in what enclosure or alignment and what else would be a good choice i like to have a choice, for instance all of my parameters that i got from wt2 and the pg ti12d elite were a average of a lot of tests, what size Icon should i go with because i have had quite a few subs that were all the same line but the size was different and the parameters and performance were different, also i have only had experience with sealed enclosures because i havent had the balls to build a ported or bandpass, especially not ib

Do you know just how low you want to go? i.e.- what frequency the lowest notes are in the normal music that you listen to. I just say that because if the lowest you got was about 25 hz, you could easily build a ported box and tune it to 28-30 hz. That'll give you an exaggerated lowend between 30-45 hz or so. If you would rather be able to go lower than that and not have a bit of a hump in frequency response, you could stick with sealed. Either way, I think a 15" should do you well.

I would like to go 30hz, maybe 25hz fundamental any lower i could get from transfer function/cabin gain. i am using a civic or tacoma

ICONs are a good choice IMO.

I would like to go 30hz, maybe 25hz fundamental any lower i could get from transfer function/cabin gain. i am using a civic or tacoma

cabin gain isn't the issue. It's box properties. If you build a ported box and tune it to 30 hz, the sub will start to unload at around 25 hz. Anything below that will not be loud and may damage the sub. In which case you'd want to use a subsonic filter for below there, which cuts output even more. If you build the ported box in my example you'll likely only have a usable range from 25 hz and up. If you go sealed, however, it never unloads and will play louder below 25-30 hz than the ported box. But the ported box will be louder from 30 hz and up, especially in the 30-45 hz range.

So you have to ask yourself just how important that sub-25 hz stuff is to you.

:clap: :clap:

x2

I decided not to go with the 8" for MidBass, Im thinking more like (ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/8531G-7"), or maybe along those lines. Will the 15 be able to blend with this if i were to cross it over at 70 hz-no less than 60hz, how would the enclosure effect it?

Yes and no. It can, a 15 isn't the problem the midbass will be. That being said, you'd have a hard time getting a much more effective 7 for a 2way. The no portion really stems from the dynamic capability of the 15, it will easily be able to overpower the front stage in the midbass realm but at the same time it will be easy to blend for normal listening levels anyways.

I see you still have the PG Ti12d Elite. That thing is a low end monster if box parameters are designed properly. Personally I have 4 in a common chamber tuned at 28Hz. Check out phoenixphorum.com and search for the 12d Elite. Here are a couple links of a guy that put one in a lexus tuned to 25Hz:

http://phoenixphorum.com/my-car-at-the-las...html?highlight=

http://phoenixphorum.com/updates-on-my-box...html?highlight=

I see you still have the PG Ti12d Elite. That thing is a low end monster if box parameters are designed properly. Personally I have 4 in a common chamber tuned at 28Hz. Check out phoenixphorum.com and search for the 12d Elite. Here are a couple links of a guy that put one in a lexus tuned to 25Hz:

http://phoenixphorum.com/my-car-at-the-las...html?highlight=

http://phoenixphorum.com/updates-on-my-box...html?highlight=

I got it from woofers etc during tax time, and i dont know if it was measured wrong(maybe i dont know how to use wt2) but the parameters dont seem like it would be good in a ported box( the ported box was, big and peaky on the low end) i dont want to use 6 cubes for one sub, though im willing to compromise my car for the install, a box that size is just stupid for one sub unless ur in db drag, i like to listen while driving not while in my living room

My 15 blends excellently with my front stage, and it's ported. This is only at low volumes, though. It's so easy to overpower the front stage and the midbass that the fronts put out that you lose blending if you crank the sub up too much.

Having the crossover lower actually helps in most cases. Anything in the midbass range isn't played nearly as well by a subwoofer as a mid, and the difference is audible.