Sign in to follow this  
culzero

Took 2nd Place at the local comp last night

I got 2nd place in the Modified 1001 - 2000W class last night with a score of 147.0db @ 48Hz in the kick panel of my '02 GMC Envoy.

This score to me seems really odd though. A month ago with my stock 150Amp Alt I did a 147.9db @ 38Hz sealed on the dash but this time sealed in the kick I was only able to achieve 147.0db @ 48Hz with a 300Amp alt. Can anyone comment as to why you think that is so?

Also looks like I have an issue somewhere with my wiring. I can play music all day long at full tilt with no problems, but once I put on the USACI Shootout CD and play a test tone the slave amp goes into protect once I hit 12V.

Forget to mention before above. System consists of (2) Sundown 3000d strapped @ 2ohms, (4) Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite subs, (3) Powermaster D3100 batteries, (1) Optima Yellowtop, 1/0AWG wire throughout, 8AWG Speakerwire

Thinking I need to unstrap and run seperate.

Thanks for the input guys.

yea it was an odd difference; but what i can't figure out is why the slave amp is going into protect on sine waves but not music

I got 2nd place in the Modified 1001 - 2000W class last night with a score of 147.0db @ 48Hz in the kick panel of my '02 GMC Envoy.

This score to me seems really odd though. A month ago with my stock 150Amp Alt I did a 147.9db @ 38Hz sealed on the dash but this time sealed in the kick I was only able to achieve 147.0db @ 48Hz with a 300Amp alt. Can anyone comment as to why you think that is so?

It's all in the acoustics of the car. Some don't meter as well in the kick as they do on the dash sealed up. A few of my team members have the same issue, with me included while others have sen as much as a 3 DB increase from kick to dash. Mic placement and dirrectional turbulance right at the mic can affect it as well. Rather than it actually being at the kick, the mic monkey will put the mic next to where your dash meets the firewall at the console and the idiots will hold it there with thier feet. Totally throws the crap off. All depends on who is running the event sometimes. Keep yer head up man, you'll get the extra Db's yer lookin for in good time with playing with things in the car such as seat position, sun visor position, glovebox open ect...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are you able to run 6K RMS in the 1000-2000 class?

I have no clue about electrics but have you tried adding another run of 1/0? Dunno if it would help but I see a lot of people in your power range doing it.

Also might want to strap with a maxxlink as the 3000D's seem to gain a little with it, and it might help the slave amp protect problem.

BTW, congrats!!

I was able to do the 1001-2000 class because they were only concerned about the 4ohm rating of the amplifier.

You're going into protect on sine waves and not in music because music is not a steady stream of power at all, whereas sine waves are. The amps have to be constantly putting out as much power as they can with a sine wave, which draws more current, which dips your voltage, which puts the amp into protect. With music you may have one big hit that lasts for a second and it's not enough time to drain your electrical system enough. With music your amps hardly work at all, relatively speaking.

did you do a sine sweep in both runs (a continuously lowering frequency sweep, like from 100 hz - 10 hz)? I'm curious as to why your frequencies are different. Along with the different mic placement, that's why the scores are different. But sometimes it's atmospheric conditions that affect the score, top frequency, etc. temperature and humidity also come into play.

Sign in to follow this