Sign in to follow this  
manbeer

first impression of the Icons :)

finally got to hear them for the first time tonight. here is a link to the thread for the system build, pic will be up soon: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=23227

The ICONS!

I love these subs, always have since the first time i saw them. In action, they exceeded my expectations. The things are still new, and the suspension is stiff as hell. You can tell just from the way they are not even close to approaching X-max off 1kw each that they will really come alive over the next few weeks, too. The best words to describe them would have to be "accurate" and "punchy" My friend stated that he noticed small nuances on certain songs that he didn't hear with the XXX's. The response on them is very flat and even throughout the frequency range, which is crossed over now at 80hz, 18db/octave. They are an easy blend with the front stage, and after the half hour or so that we fooled around with them the amp was warm and the Icons showed no indications of being warm to the touch. Of the variety of music that we tested on they showed no preference, they just excelled at all. I simply can't say enough good about them. Great job Mark and Aaron, you definitely made me a believer

I really like the Icons also.....I had them sitting on the shelf for about 3 months thinking my W10gti subs were

all that and a bag of chips...when I finally got the Icons installed I was blown away and wondered why I didn't

switch sooner

by next summer I will have everyone here hooked on SSA

Wow, that is awesome to hear. Thank you for the feed back, because any feedback is always a great thing. May I ask why the switch in amplifiers (other then the obvious size/weight advantage)? Would have been curious to see how you liked them on the Xenon's, I mention them because they are in my top 5 favorite amplifiers. :)

Wow, that is awesome to hear. Thank you for the feed back, because any feedback is always a great thing. May I ask why the switch in amplifiers (other then the obvious size/weight advantage)? Would have been curious to see how you liked them on the Xenon's, I mention them because they are in my top 5 favorite amplifiers. :)

the size an weight was the main reason he switched. one thing that i notice is that the Xenon's seemed much more efficient, both these subs and the XXX's were D2's series wired, and the xenons doing rated power at 4 ohms vs. the PDX doing the same barely dimmed the lights at all. The alpines have them flickering pretty good. We're about to put an hc600 before each amp and hopefully that does the trick. All three PDX's are probably about the same size collectively as a single 1200.1 which is nice.

The Icons are already starting to free up a bit. I also have to add that after a two hour drive with a few short stops in between, and most of the time the stereo playing at moderate to high volumes, we pulled out the subs to put some rope caulk around them cause there was an airleak and the subs were barely warm to the touch. you literally had to stick your finger in them to feel any heat. That was off 1kw, so i know that thermally that power rating was conservative. I'd really like to hear one on a nice A/B amp, like an old Reference 1000, or even a DLS A6