Nikuk

Another Thread by Nick

I would hope that most of you know that I'm not one to post "this vs. that" threads.... with that being said:

My CDT CL62's are a little dissapointing.

I want to have a four-way ( :D ) in my Trailblazer: Componant set in the front doors / dedicated mid-bass in the rear doors / sub in the cargo area. I'm of the mindset to go:

Subbass - taken care of (Uberwoofer 15" + 1500 watts).

Midbass - 6.5", 60-150hz, sealed in 0.5-0.7ft^3.

Midrange - 6.5", 120-3khz, sealed (0.5ft^3) or IB.

Tweets - 3/4", 3khz plus, prolly metallic, but could do silk.

I have 100x4@4ohm rms available. 200@2ohm.

If you had $600 to spend on those six speakers & a pair of crossovers, what would yah do?

My contender's so far (in no particular order):

Midbass:

DD 6.5Lt's

Adire Extremis

XXX 6.5

Keep the CDT

Component set

Orion

Kicker

Adire Koda set

Infinity Set

DLS (i dunno much about 'em though).

The new DD components (not out another month though).

I'd have no problem mixing & matching if it weren't a pain to get a x-over built.

Thanks,

Nick

My contender's so far (in no particular order):

Midbass:

DD 6.5Lt's

Adire Extremis

XXX 6.5

Keep the CDT

Component set

Orion

Kicker

Adire Koda set

Infinity Set

DLS (i dunno much about 'em though).

The new DD components (not out another month though).

I'd have no problem mixing & matching if it weren't a pain to get a x-over built.

Thanks,

Nick

Midbass

XXX 6.5 (never used but will very soon)

Adire Extremis (again never used)

CDT HD mids. I love them, play good and low now that they are sealed instead of IB

Comp set,

Had the infinity perfects, not too bad

Cant go wrong with

Orion, kicker, or Kodas

Many people like the DLS sets, easly comparitive to the CDTs, most say better.

Never heard the DD comps.

Tweeters,

I love silk tweets,

I have the 1" silk that come with the HD set, best I have heard to date.

Infinitys are harsh, but thats my ears,

Heard the Focal kevlar? <think that was the model, CDTs sound better to me.

Friend had an old pair of Aura tweets I liked, very clean.

*edit* I should point out that I have the CDT's IB right now. really want to try them sealed.

*edit* I should point out that I have the CDT's IB right now. really want to try them sealed.

I have an extra set of 6.5 baffles that are deadened already if you want them. Let me know.

I have an extra set of 6.5 baffles that are deadened already if you want them. Let me know.

interesting....

how deep is the cup?

Midbass

XXX 6.5 (never used but will very soon)

Adire Extremis (again never used)

CDT HD mids.  I love them, play good and low now that they are sealed instead of IB

Comp set,

Had the infinity perfects, not too bad

Cant go wrong with

Orion, kicker, or Kodas

Many people like the DLS sets, easly comparitive to the CDTs, most say better.

Never heard the DD comps.

Tweeters,

I love silk tweets,

I have the 1" silk that come with the HD set, best I have heard to date. 

Infinitys are harsh, but thats my ears,

Heard the Focal kevlar?  <think that was the model, CDTs sound better to me.

Friend had an old pair of Aura tweets I liked, very clean.

Mids: Agree, Leaning towards Extremis. Period. Unless someone has some good points regarding another midwoofer. Just sucks on the depth. But i can get around it.

Midrange: I had the Perfects at one point too. Orion P6 also. Not bad at all IMO. Leaning towards Orion or Kodas. I might just keep the CDT mids as it is. Try them sealed before i chitcan 'em.

Tweets: this is where I am really stuck. I know little about tweets (outside of the obvious)... have seen quite a few good comments on the DLS tweets.

thanks, all the opinions welcome :)

I honestly wouldn't put the main midbass in the rear doors. If you wanted to have something back there, or don't have room up front for a 3-way, then I'd say run your fronts full range and run the rears midbass only and somewhat attenuated.

As for midbass....tons of options, all of them are good :D Though I haven't heard them yet, I'd likely go with the XXX mids or the Extremis mids. At CES they measured better on the Klippel system (frequency responce, THD, IMD, etc) than Seas Excels, which are highly regarded speakers in the home audio world. That says something. And with 13mm Xmax, they definitely won't lack in output. For pure midbass, to keep up with the Uber....I would go for the two with top displacement.

For the comps, tough call. So many options. You going egay or factory authorized there?

Also, do you only have a single 4-channel amp to power all this?

interesting....

how deep is the cup?

These are the exact ones, just with peal and seal on them to toughen them up.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php...82&cat=0&page=1

I bought 2 pair originaly to glass over one but they are thick enough I didnt need to, thanks to Kent, so one went in and the other got deadened to go in a friends truck but they wont fit.

interesting....

how deep is the cup?

I bought 2 pair originaly to glass over one but they are thick enough I didnt need to, thanks to Kent, so one went in and the other got deadened to go in a friends truck but they wont fit.

Cool... i can work with those prolly. $15?

I honestly wouldn't put the main midbass in the rear doors.  If you wanted to have something back there, or don't have room up front for a 3-way, then I'd say run your fronts full range and run the rears midbass only and somewhat attenuated.

As for midbass....tons of options, all of them are good :D   Though I haven't heard them yet, I'd likely go with the XXX mids or the Extremis mids.  At CES they measured better on the Klippel system (frequency responce, THD, IMD, etc) than Seas Excels, which are highly regarded speakers in the home audio world.  That says something.  And with 13mm Xmax, they definitely won't lack in output.  For pure midbass, to keep up with the Uber....I would go for the two with top displacement. 

For the comps, tough call.  So many options.  You going egay or factory authorized there? 

Also, do you only have a single 4-channel amp to power all this?

Definatly not the main midwoofer in the rear. LoL I like my stage upfront... just dont have room for all three passbands in the front doors. I'm not going to build kickpod's, I have size 14 feet and don't want to stomp out my equipment.

*Dedicated low/mid bass (extremis/eXeXeX/DD) in the rear door for those duties.

*Primary Mid & Tweets in the front doors.

Prefer authorized for all the equip., I hope to get an install in that I can fire & forget. Price is not too much of a concern, as needed...

Price also does not include amplifier. I can run two seperate 200x2@4 / 400x2@2 amplifiers if I need to.

I'm not looking to compete SQ or anything NEAR that level. Just looking to get clean full reliable sound.

interesting....

how deep is the cup?

Cool... i can work with those prolly. $15?

Nah, whats your zip? Just pay me shipping, Ill give them to you.

If you had $600 to spend on those six speakers & a pair of crossovers, what would yah do?

Are you going passive on all this? If so, shoot me a PM, I know someone who may possibly be able to set you up with something killer in the way of drivers and a sweet set of 4th order crossovers.

If going active, I think your options are wide open with that budget.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Extremis mids. They were designed to compete with the Revelators (which I myself would probably use in your instance, only in a 2-way design), so you know they must have something going there. The XXX mids are in need of an enclosure from what I've heard. Definately complicates things. Tweets are really hard. Too many to choose from that will produce good results.

Are you going passive on all this? If so, shoot me a PM, I know someone who may possibly be able to set you up with something killer in the way of drivers and a sweet set of 4th order crossovers.

If going active, I think your options are wide open with that budget.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Extremis mids. They were designed to compete with the Revelators (which I myself would probably use in your instance, only in a 2-way design), so you know they must have something going there. The XXX mids are in need of an enclosure from what I've heard. Definately complicates things. Tweets are really hard. Too many to choose from that will produce good results.

YGPM

would it be worth it, SQ wise, to run two amps for the mid/high drivers? Two 200x2@4 amplifiers - one for the mid bass(es) & one for the comp. set?

While I I like the simplicity of a 4-channel, it'll be hard to find something in that power level for a decent price. I don't see why you'd have a problem with a pair of 2-channels.

While I I like the simplicity of a 4-channel, it'll be hard to find something in that power level for a decent price.  I don't see why you'd have a problem with a pair of 2-channels.

With 4ch I'm concerned about signal seperation (spereate inputs/outputs). But I think it'll work fine for what I'm looking for.

My concern is power... finding an amp that'll put out 200x4@4ohm will not be too cheap. Of course, if I run with two 2ch amps, I have to buy another amp anyhow.

I know an amp that does 200X4@4

Doesnt cost a whole lot either

:seesaw:

While I I like the simplicity of a 4-channel, it'll be hard to find something in that power level for a decent price.

I know an amp that does 200X4@4

Doesnt cost a whole lot either

:seesaw:

Enlighten us with your knowledge please. I'm interested!

You guys wouldnt like the brand name.

I think its just best left :lockd:

Like brand name means anything. Hell, I run Pyle if it works. Don't get me started. I love what most consider junk.

4 x 200W RMS @ 4 Ohm Stereo

4 x 400W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo

2 x 400W RMS @ 4 Ohm Mono

Dimensions (H x W x L): 2.7

Like brand name means anything.  Hell, I run Pyle if it works.  Don't get me started.  I love what most consider junk.

Im a lanzar pusher myself LoL

You guys wouldnt like the brand name.

I think its just best left :lockd:

So long as it does what its suppoda.

Spill it....