Sign in to follow this  
Dutchie.

Custom box, need input

So, i want to build a custom box for a Range Rover classic, LWB

Box is for two 12" Alpine Type R's.

I want the subs facing towards the roof and the port facing the rear of the vehicle, the "classic" SUV style.

Although, the truck comes with a stock cover over the very rear, i want the box to be underneath that, so when i park i can cover the stuff up and keep people from wondering around the car.

What wood should be used?

Also, any special tricks with making boxes?

I will provide picks tomorrow if needed.

3/4 or 1" inch MDF although i would go with 3/4 but thats just me. Also your going to need to use glue to put the pieces together and also use screws on top of that.

You can find some guides for making boxes just do a google search.

3/4 or 1" inch MDF although i would go with 3/4 but thats just me. Also your going to need to use glue to put the pieces together and also use screws on top of that.

You can find some guides for making boxes just do a google search.

My next door neighbor builds furniture outta wood, and he's gonna help me.

So i just need any special things, etc.

A good schematic is the most important thing. You'll need a router to cut the circle holes, glue (Titebond III is the glue of choice), clamps, screws, a table saw (or handsaw if you want to do it the hard way) Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure EVERYTHING is square, it will save you from a lot of head aches.

3/4" MDF is the wood typically used for box construction. You can also use a good 7+ ply plywood, but you're looking at almost double the cost per sheet there.

Edited by abxx

A good schematic is the most important thing. You'll need a router to cut the circle holes, glue (Titebond III is the glue of choice), clamps, screws, a table saw (or handsaw if you want to do it the hard way) Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure EVERYTHING is square, it will save you from a lot of head aches.

Thank you. I will definantly keep this in mind when working.