Sign in to follow this  
KoolDrew

Are there any decent 4x6" sets?

I drive a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and in the front doors the speakers are 4x6" and in the rear 6x9". My current setup is Sony Xplodes in both locations so I'm looking to upgrade. I'

ve already decided on getting a 12" Icon and Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D, but I'm unsure what to do about the rest of the setup. From the looks of it there really aren't that many options for 4x6" speakers that would be any better then my Sonys.

What would you guys suggest in my situation? I'm just trying to price everything together for the setup to get an idea of the price and make any adjustments to make it more affordable if need be.

You can put 5.25" in the doors, you just need to make/purchase the adaptor plate

with the 5.25's you'll have several options, possibly run a component set if that's something that's in the budget..

I'll let others chime in...

*the adaptor plates will not allow for a protruding tweeter on a coaxil... they need to almost be flush..

Would you consider building a small baffle and running a 4" mid and a separate tweet?

Would you consider building a small baffle and running a 4" mid and a separate tweet?

depending on what options the car has the sunfires have a spot molded in for a tweet right by the woofer.. You can fit a 5.25 in all of them I believe...(no mods, the mounting un-screws and you can put a new plate in it's place... the 95-05's I think are all the same way... I've worked on a few here and there... I know the 95 99 and 05 all are that way.. (I haven't worked on the other years.)

Where could I find an adapter for a 5.25" component? I found some for 6.5" on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4%22x-6%22-...103126005r22960

Now that I look at it it seems pretty simple to make my own adapter plate and it definitely does open up plenty of other options. Assuming I could fit either a 6.5" and 5.25", what would be the best option? Also, should I even bother upgrading the 6 x 9's in the rear? I was considering keeping those powered by the HU and just put a nice component set up front power by a separate amp. Would that be the best option on a budget?

Edited by KoolDrew

making the plate will be easy... just look at the ebay pic...

the 5.25 plate I used was a plastic plate that the fellas had gotten through crutchfield.

I'd get a decent set of 6.5 components (if you can get them to fit.. I'm only certain that the 5.25's fit.. I've never mounted 6.5's there, mounting depth will be your only real issue) Power the comp set off a small amp... a little 100x2 or even 100.4 if you want to try active

don't bother changing out the 6x9's.... they'll be fine off the deck, you'll find that you won't even really use/hear them anymore after you upgrade the front..

try running a 4" coaxial, gm has those wierd setups, or try looking at a plate 4x6, it basically a 4" with a tweet right next to it, all in the same unit, if you dont feel like busting out the sawzall for some panel mods...

try running a 4" coaxial, gm has those wierd setups, or try looking at a plate 4x6, it basically a 4" with a tweet right next to it, all in the same unit, if you dont feel like busting out the sawzall for some panel mods...

He doesn't have to cut anything.. the sunfires have a 6" grill (part of the door panel) and more than enough room to mount the rounds with a mounting plate.. One of the easiest cars to convert imo...

Some of the 4x6 plates aren't too bad, however I've had failures in every set I've ever owned... (lanzar, boston, audiobahn)

didnt know that, all i know is gm did some wierd stuff with their sound, like the old dash mount speakers, the factory dashmat completely blocks it out...., not to mention it was glued on, so i couldnt take them out to put the tweets in..

didnt know that, all i know is gm did some wierd stuff with their sound, like the old dash mount speakers, the factory dashmat completely blocks it out...., not to mention it was glued on, so i couldnt take them out to put the tweets in..

Yeah some of the older GM's are tough.. (the trucks atleast)

The Cavi's and sunfire's are some of the easiest ones though.. even the door panel is easy to remove

(The CD player removal sucks__ you have to take the whole dash cover off)

DEAR SWEET JESUS

DONT BRING UP DOOR PANELS!!!

my grandmother used to pull herself into the truck with the handles, ripping the doorpanels out, so i put bout 20 lag bolts and drywall anchors in there, theyre never coming off EVER AGAIN!

Thanks for the help rushnrun. I guess it's time to start looking for a 6.5" component set and an amp to power them. :)

Edited by KoolDrew

Metra make a bracket for 1995 and up Sunfires

Part number 82-3300

Get those and do the 6.5" components like you were talking about

They fit perfectly with any component system with out depth issues

I used at least 10 pairs in my time

Part number 82-3300

I found the product on their site, but no information on pricing. How much do they go for? If it's cheap enough I'll just buy it, if not I'll probably just end up making my own.

Part number 82-3300

I found the product on their site, but no information on pricing. How much do they go for? If it's cheap enough I'll just buy it, if not I'll probably just end up making my own.

There like $20 retail

You can pick them up at Circuit City

They'll probably have to order them

For $20 I'll just make my own, I have a bunch of scrap MDF anyway.

Anybody have suggestions for a 6.5" component set? I've been looking around and found a few options, but anything you guys think would be worth looking at would be appreciated. Most of the music I listen to is rap and other mainstream stuff, a little bit of rock here and there. So mid bass output is going to be important as I like to "feel" my music and I think I remember reading a post on here saying the feeling in your chest is all mid bass. I also want clear highs, as well as getting loud without being too expensive. I'm thinking around $200-$250 for the component set, maybe less depending on what everything adds up to in the end since I plan on replacing everything in my car except head unit and the 6x9"s in the rear right now.

Also, I think the depth I have to work with is about 2.5"

Edited by KoolDrew

cdt hd 62 great set for the price 239 on woofers etc.

I looked at that set, but I'm afraid the mounting depth might be a little too much to fit without interfering with the window rolling down.

I've had a lot of success with Polk DB series components.

There great unless you're into deafening highs, but if you like

a smoother sound with great mid range response, there the

best you can get!

Edited by JBerger