Sign in to follow this  
bamaster

SAX-125.2

I am thinking of dropping my two 8W7's for one IDQ12. If it's a 2ohm sub, can I use one of my 125.2 to power it?

How would it hold up (and how much power) bridged at 2 ohm?

2 ohm mono... no...

2 ohm stereo yes.

Rated power output

----RMS power, 4 ohm stereo

125W x 2CH

----RMS power, 2 ohm stereo

200W x 2CH

----RMS power, 4 ohm bridged

400W x 1CH

If it's a dual 4ohm sub you could run one 125.2 bridged per coil. Not the best thing in the world but it is an option.

If you did that it would give you about 400 watts per coil.

I wouldn't do it. Get an amp rated for that load.

Nope - not designed for it.

You might be surprised at what it will do bridged @ 8 ohms if you have D4 coils to wire it as such.

What if you measured impedance rise through out the entire frequency range that you would play the sub and it is above 4 ohms? could you then run a 2 ohm dcr subwoofer on the amp?

Same answer. You're still going to drop below that 2 ohm load at certain frequencies, and even running at 2 ohms for too long is going to kill it.

Run the amp where the manufacturer suggests you run it.

Well, in the next month or so I'm going to pick up a Image Dynamics IDQ 12". The real question is should I get a D2 and run it at 4 ohm with a 125.2 ... or... get a D4 and run it at 2 ohm, then pick up a 1200D.

Hmmm... then I'd have to give away two practically new 125.2 amps! What a waste.

Looks like you have your answer then. If you don't want to get rid of the 125.2's get the DVC2 IDQ.

If having impedance increases made it ok on the amp, don't you think the amp manufacturer would rate the amplifier lower? Such as- it's really a 2 ohm stable amp, but we'll rate it at 1 ohm because the impedance will be higher when they actually put speakers on it. No.

And why not run both amps to one sub? Wire one amp to each voice coil. it's unconventional but there's nothing wrong with it.

And why not run both amps to one sub? Wire one amp to each voice coil. it's unconventional but there's nothing wrong with it.

I have seen this done with the 100.2 and it worked out pretty good. I think it is your best bet with what you have now as long as you gain match the amps

Edited by AlpineAndy

If having impedance increases made it ok on the amp, don't you think the amp manufacturer would rate the amplifier lower? Such as- it's really a 2 ohm stable amp, but we'll rate it at 1 ohm because the impedance will be higher when they actually put speakers on it. No.

Well, I only want two amps total. You can see my current install here.

Amp rack is double stacked. Ugh. So for trunk saving space, I want one sub and a smaller enclosure than what I already have. 400w is plenty of power for a IDQ12, but I'm sure it'll sound better with 600w. :D

Actually, I'd rather only have one amp. But I don't know much about the 5 channels. How's the Helix Deep Blue? Or the Audison VRX6 Direct 2?

Sign in to follow this