TLM

Im starting a small business

well this will be a side business (hopefully it can grow to be a full time thing but who knows)

anyway, im 18 and i wont start skewl til next january and i live (or will be living) in a place with a lot of rich, older people and I had this idea for a small business. You know how when you were a kid and you did odd jobs for the neighbors, well same sort of thing. But with fixed or hourly rates depending on the task and a wider range of things that we can do. Basically its my idea and id do all the legwork and i have friends who want in on it and they will basically be my employees/coworkers.

Just trying to make some money and get my foot in the door without having to flip burgers!

Im just looking for you guys thoughts, tips and advice of opening a business and this type of business in particular!

Thanks in advance

Tom

Best advice I could give you is advertise in the newspaper or put up flyers around town. It takes some money to make some money.

Advertise it, and they will come.

One of my friends does something similar. He's established a small business, where they'll take your computer, download AdAware and other anti-spyware programs, clean up your computer, then delete the programs - charges like $50. Adds up rather quickly since it costs you nothing if you use an existing internet connection. He'll pick you up at your home and drive you to get groceries, or things like that.

Another friend works at a real estate agency. He manages one small apartment building, one larger apartment building, renting out apartments like crazy ... got himself involved with a guy who has a lot of cash (got pretty lucky) and now helps the guy buy land all over the place, etc. He's bringing in between $8500-$10, 000 ... every month. I'd want to either become that dude, or work for him.

I think you're on the right track. Older people will go for it. Do a good job / make an impression and you'll do real well.

WEll ive realized some major prolems with just a "do anything" kind of business so im thinking more focused, like a car detailing business or something similar

the only thing i kno is that id liek to start a small side busines that i can do with either just myself or one or 2 other ppl that i can easily take a week off of if i need to - the type of business is what im unsure of

yea, do anything requires alot more out of you. if you're not insured / bonded & have any certs... it amy limit you. focusing into a narrower bandwidth may not be a bad idea.

Best advice: study your target demograph. if they all own POS cars or have a "Detail Shop Guy" already... move on to someone or somthing else.

-Nick

Some very good advice here. I second the advertising bit, getting your name/company name out there is probably the single most important factor in determining your initial success. You also need to find a niche market, and narrow down your focus to meet a specific need in the market you are wanting to provide a service/product for. If you are offering something noone else is, that will help to further distinguish you/your company from competitors.

I also recommend that you pick up some marketing strategy, and business development/planning books from your local library. There are many aspects to consider when deciding on a new business, but the first step is of course, educating yourself as much as you can.

Knowledge is better than gold.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions please let me hear them.