Boomer520

Fi Q 12 dead

Well after a mere 5 months my Q12 has given up the ghost with no warning. I was pretty impressed with the Q. I was running it with a Memphis Belle mch1300 in 2.2cf @ 32hz Fisher box. The Q also had the BP option as well. I will also add that this is the first sub I have ever blown if that gives you an idea of how conservitave I generally run things.

Have you removed the sub to see if there is any obvious damage? Broken lead maybe?

Did you measure the coil resistance?

I ran a sundown 1500 on mine all day everyday and it never blew. Kinda odd esp. since I have seen them run with a Sundown 3000d on them daily.

^ that's not what happened. either 1.) you ran the amp into clipping one too many times ..... or 2.) did you run tests to see if it's the amp with the problems?

Sounds like overexcursion of the driver causing mechanical failure.

I run mine into the ground daily with a saz1500 @1ohm, and it handles it flawlessly

1-amp is fine.

2- the subsonic filter on the memphis is on and was set to maximum frequency.

3- i know what clipping is, Tektronics 2246 scope FTW, 18 years electronics tech experience

4- im about as surprised as the rest of you, this happened listening to Lynard Skynard-Simple Man

Interesting, to say the least

yeah I would have never thought 1100 watts rms from the Memphis would hurt it.

Ahh, it's rated thermally at 1000 watts...

Check the spiders to see if there is any signs of the tinsel leads burning through. This would suggest the system was clipping.

Otherwise, very odd!

The BP option adds 200-500 watts rms additional depending on application.

Spiders look like they did the day i took it out of box.

You said you tested the amp with another speaker too?

Well, apparently not in your case....

Or you had more than 1000 watts + whatever BP adds....

Same thing happened to my Havoc... very random death with no apparent cause. My problem turned out that the driver had overexurted, spider crashed into top plate, and tinsels were severed internally, which I could not see obviously...

Lets see a pic of the tinsels

Lets see a pic of the tinsels

If they are embedded as I think he said they are you would not be able to tell... Mine weren't even embedded when the sub blew and nobody could tell what was wrong... From the outside of the sub it looked absolutely fine.

Yeah, of clean power.

If your resistance is reading high, your burnt the coils. And the tinsels are working fine.

If this thing was in a ported box(Im lazy and don't want to reread.) You should have gotten a warning smell.

Yeah, of clean power.

If your resistance is reading high, your burnt the coils. And the tinsels are working fine.

If this thing was in a ported box(Im lazy and don't want to reread.) You should have gotten a warning smell.

Reading is your friend and the info is there. I dont want to retype it all. Might I again add, this is the first sub I have EVER had die. I'm 35 and have used a few in my day. Hell I ran two junk 12 CVR's with a Belle for a year and never had a problem. They are rated at what 800rms for the pair.

Please get the sub back to us ASAP and we will check things out and repair or replace it.

Subsonic set to its max? What frequency is that vs your tuning?

Fi Car Audio

Attn: Warranty Dept

5480 Cameron St #108

Las Vegas NV 89118

Definitely not saying it is your fault or a setup issue (more a general comment on the current car audio DIY industry), but we do need to get a primer for how to set things up in a ported enclosure with respect to the amp and subsonic settings. With power becoming cheaper we are seeing more and more issues of over excursion below tuning when the enclosure unloads. Not too hard to hurt things mechanically in free air when that occurs.

Thanks,

Scott

Please get the sub back to us ASAP and we will check things out and repair or replace it.

Subsonic set to its max? What frequency is that vs your tuning?

Fi Car Audio

Attn: Warranty Dept

5480 Cameron St #108

Las Vegas NV 89118

Definitely not saying it is your fault or a setup issue (more a general comment on the current car audio DIY industry), but we do need to get a primer for how to set things up in a ported enclosure with respect to the amp and subsonic settings. With power becoming cheaper we are seeing more and more issues of over excursion below tuning when the enclosure unloads. Not too hard to hurt things mechanically in free air when that occurs.

Thanks,

Scott

I honestly love how helpful you guys are, thats one of the reasons I went with you guys.

hope your problem gets fixed