Sign in to follow this  
mccleery3

enough port?

Well I purchased 2 IA LI 15's and want to build a box 8 cubes after displacemnt. I'm wanting to use the psp ports to tune it to 32hz. My question is can I use 4-4" ports and have enough port area? Psp's calculator says 14.61" in length for my desired tuning but a local shop told me do 6" ports. Which is going to work better?

------this is going in my 07 Ford Escape with usable dim. of 40wx22dx22h

I'm no expert, but i was told the general rule was 12-16 in^2 per every ft^3

Edited by Dutchie.

I thought I've read in another post somewhere that with these ports they don't require as much area. I could be wrong, and probably am, which is why I started this topic.

Edited by chicagofan

four 4" ports would be the minimum I would recommend. You may be able to get away with it. Two 6" ports would be a little better. But I'd say five 4" ports would be better, and three 6" ports even better if you can fit it.

four 4" ports would be the minimum I would recommend. You may be able to get away with it. Two 6" ports would be a little better. But I'd say five 4" ports would be better, and three 6" ports even better if you can fit it.

That's a good suggestion. I have a box that I designed for a pair of Nightshade 15's that uses 6 4" aeros and 6 cubes internally. It's tuning is hihger than you may like and is 40hz, but that's right where I like to have my boxes tuned to. I get them to drop a little lower by placing the port exactly 4" away from the hatch and it actually drops the tuning some.

Thanks guys! I'm thinking 5-4" would work better for me with the space I have.