Sign in to follow this  
XxedgarxX

how to check the alternators output?

well i bought an alternator a week ago and it just arrive today. now i have a question how can i really check for the output

the guy i bough it for said it was a 300 amp alt from excessive amp but i want to make sure it sure is (not that i want to say the guy is a scammer) but for my personal intentions of using it.

any help would do great, i know i shouldnt take it to autozone or any place like that results wont come right

:ugh2:

really the autozone way is the easiest... I don't know of what issues, or how accurate they are but.... :shrug:

The tested my Ebay "250" amp alt and it only did 168amps at 2k rpm

I'm sure you could use a dc clamp meter... I own one but have never tried to test an alt with it..

well that will be where im going if it hits higher than 200 amps ill be ok

thanks for the fast response

most bench testers like autozones wont read anything over 175 amps.... 130 amps is the highest for most.

most bench testers like autozones wont read anything over 175 amps.... 130 amps is the highest for most.

hmmm now what i can do :Doh: maybe its time to buy the bl's and test the alt :bigclap: if the voltage doesn't drop im good :wacky:

Are you running an extra batt with that amp???

everything is still in the living room i need to purchase the subs but im runing a red top and a regular bat. before i had it with 2 batteries but it kept dropping my volts really bad maybe bad alt but i changed cars now so hopefully i get better and with more rms later on

would this be any good i want something cheap not gonna use it everyday so no need for something expensive

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?targe...product_id=1896

those aernt too acurate, atleast get a crafstman, if you are just gonna get cheap the try harborfreight

well i dont need it to give me an 1% off calculation i just wanted to see if my alt realy goes above the 250 amps like they should

two things

One) that's an AC clamp meter (won't work), you'd have to have a DC clamp meter.. the craftsman ones are 60

Two) to test the alt you have to have a load on it... the autozone tester puts a load on to test output (I think.... someone correct me if I'm wrong..)

Your right, your best off going to a alt shop and having them test it.

thanks for correcting my noobness with alts :D

We try.

Sometimes we fail though..... :shrug:

On your batts and that amp...

In my buddies stock Yukon(he did the wiring himself and refuses to do permanent upgrades anything since he buys a new truck every 6-10 months) with one 800 CCA(JUNK) batt under the hood, one 1100CCA batt in the rear just running 4ga from front to rear, w/no upgrades at all, stock alt no "Big Three"---(I don't call it that... I've been doing it for over a decade... I don't know when it got the name...anyhow..)

He has no dimming no electrical issues at all..

I ran basically the same setup in my mazda but with 0gauge and had no issues there either.. when I ran my two zx2500's I added one extra batt and worked great... my voltage never dropped below 12 volts...

***I ran my amp at 1 ohm, my buddy runs his at 2***with 2-amps I ran 2 ohm..

the 1100cca batt we were/are using is just an industrial group31 batt.