mrray13

box bracing....overrated?

instead of continuing to hijack ryan's pic thread, i figured i'd start this up in here....

my opinion, based on talking to a few world champs and experience..

bracing is overrated. as is double baffles. they should only be used of the sub is extremely heavy, u have a really long, flat straight stretch or u are using vast amounts of power.

for everyday box building, the box isn't going to flex enough for anyone to hear, see or notice a loss from. in most cases, if designed properly, the port can act as the bracing.

for the most part, the best thing u can do for ur ported box is round off all port angles, but even then, for everyday use, it isn't necessary. to gain tenths on a meter it is.

mostly all double walls and bracing do is add weight and size to the enclosure...

comments?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I understand both points of view,

a few of the SQ guys I have talked to in SLAP, brace it up pretty stiff, but for daily purposes we are running more power and different music, anyway for smaller boxes with lower power I dont think it is really needed,

but for something such as your average guy not to worried about clear roll off of notes and tight control of the sub, bracing is not a priority, but for picky guys such as oh say Ryan or Nick (all 5 of them) that extra bracing is needed because they have the descerning ear to hear the little things,

Application dependant. That particular box I built, I GUARANTEE you I will be able to detect a buzz from panel vibrations on the enclosure itself. However, I don't car about that enclosure, hence no bracing.

This was the reason I wanted the 1" on that enclosure you built for me Kent. With the plexi front and mirrors, I did not want any braces to take away from the experience, therefore, the thicker material was necessary IMO.

To the SPL guys, it may be of no use, but to others with a discerning ear, they will go to the extreme to prevent noise and increase efficiency.

Application dependant.

x2. Depends on the application.

Flexing sucks.

I think most people brace enclosures (that some people know won't flex) so they know for sure that it won't flex.

I've never been one for double baffles. But, again, it depends on the application.

I always try and tie the port into being the brace (or one of the braces) in a daily driver.

Braces need to be placed correctly and used correctly in order for them to work correctly. Sometimes there just isn't the need for them, in my opinion.

well, from an example i read somewhere else, which, i belelvie, was written by the DW crew, and also makes sence to me:

Lets say we have a mystery box.

internal box area is 3,000sqcm. our sub, sub X, is 500sqcm.

if the entire box flexes 1cm (extreme) it is wasteing the energy of the sub moving 6cm...

but if a box is flexing 1cm you have problems.

i tend to agree with yall that for dailly application if using 3/4MDF and if you dont have any large panels, bracing and doble baffleing isnt needed unless you have a heavy sub or are really putting the power to it. but just to be safe i would say minot bracing would be a good idea, especially if you have a large panel. and if your sub is 40lbs+ double baffle it just to be safe.

I use 1" MDF for everything unless space doesn't allow it ...

I think anything 1200+ watts should consider extra bracing.

I shook a prefab to pieces when i had my jbl 1200.1.

I think anything 1200+ watts should consider extra bracing.

I shook a prefab to pieces when i had my jbl 1200.1.

prefab doesn't count :bartmoon:

but even with "just" 1200wrms..bracing,IMO isn't necessary unless u have a straight stretch at or over ~3'...(depending upon power and port placement, 2')

the reason i brought this up was everybody (not here) telling ppl to brace their 1.25ft^3 sealed box that was getting a 12 and 500wrms..and double baffle it.

i agree there is some enclosures that need bracing, my s18x one for example and jim's h/t box, but for most daily drivers, it simply isn't needed..or not needed as described. but i guess overkill is better then no kill....

hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I prefer to double layer the entire box, and if I have time lay resin down, and if I cut them right, lay down corner 45'ed pieces (ported only)

I have seen a few installs recently that do double threaded bolts that span the heigth or width of the box, personally I get a kick out of making a box that is super stiff

I broke a box this past weekend at a comp that didnt have any bracing, so I'm a bracing believer now :)

I broke a box this  past weekend at a comp that didnt have any bracing, so I'm a bracing believer now :)

yeah..but don't u feed each 12 like 11kwrms+? i mean, that's a bit different..lol

but 11kwrms is quite a bit different then 1.2kwrms...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I broke a box this  past weekend at a comp that didnt have any bracing, so I'm a bracing believer now :)

yeah..but don't u feed each 12 like 11kwrms+? i mean, that's a bit different..lol

but 11kwrms is quite a bit different then 1.2kwrms...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yeah, but after you factor in impedance rise, you can bet he's only seeing a third of that around the burping frequency. Still a lot of power. I resort back to my previous answer.

And Denim, doubling up on layers isn't as effective as adding simple bracing. IT also adds more weight. ;)

I broke a box this