Sign in to follow this  

Alright, I have an older kicker kx400.2 i believe it is and it's not working. I only found one little connection broken, which is pictured below. Would it hurt to try and push them back together and solder them lightly? It wouldn't void a warranty, and it wouldn't be a hassle, but is it safe? I don't have any other way to power it up other than a stand alone battery that was in my truck a while back. Is it safe to run it straight off the batt to test it?

overall:

DSC02023.jpg

broken part (up under the silver plate screwed in the side):

DSC02025.jpg

other pictures:

DSC02026.jpg

DSC02027.jpg

Edited by Grant H

Looks Like You Were Doing Damage To The Amp :(

Its A Shame Looks Like A Beastly Amp Too.

My Guess Was You Were Running It With A Stock Electrical system And You Hurt The Amp In Doing THat

You CAN In Fact Try To Solder It Back Togehter However Be Extremly Careful Not To Melt The Resistors Because If That Happens The Amp Is USELESS

Hope This Helps And You Get The Amp Up And Running Again :)

~ Kent ~

Looks Like You Were Doing Damage To The Amp :(

Its A Shame Looks Like A Beastly Amp Too.

My Guess Was You Were Running It With A Stock Electrical system And You Hurt The Amp In Doing THat

You CAN In Fact Try To Solder It Back Togehter However Be Extremly Careful Not To Melt The Resistors Because If That Happens The Amp Is USELESS

Hope This Helps And You Get The Amp Up And Running Again :)

~ Kent ~

it's not a big amp, its just a 400.2 kicker. but i dont remember us really pushing it all that hard. I figure I can send it to sundown, or somewhere else and have it fixed cheaper than buying a new amp. if i cant...

Kent you never answered me....... are you true Team Sundown?

Probably had the amp wired to low, and it just went sizzle sizzle

Kent you never answered me....... are you true Team Sundown?

Probably had the amp wired to low, and it just went sizzle sizzle

no...a shop installed it. it was never wired any way other than 2 channel mode and one channel per sub. i guess we either pushed it a little hard or it just over heated...

it worked for a good long while, it wasnt just an automatic thing.

Edited by Grant H

Yeah I Was Guessing That You Wired It And It Couldnt Handle Under 2 Ohms.

However If You Were Certain It Wasnt Running At Low Ohms THen You Were Probably Pushing It To Hard.

Yeah I Was Guessing That You Wired It And It Couldnt Handle Under 2 Ohms.

However If You Were Certain It Wasnt Running At Low Ohms THen You Were Probably Pushing It To Hard.

oh well. i dont know then. i dont have the hardware anymore either so i guess i can just toss it and look for another amp.

Contact db-r and find out if he is accepting amps. He does quality work and is an authorized Sundown dealer.

The damage is probably more than just a broken connection. That mosfet is more than likely blown as well.