Sign in to follow this  
xprime4

Fi Q 18'' tuned high...

The Q wasn't what i expected maybe. It does hit low... but it's also missing in the 50-80hz range. I know it ain't a upper bass sub but I just bought it 1month ago and i don't want to try something else.

I'm powering it with a hifonics 2006d at 1ohm so 1700 watt +/-. The box is 6.5 net tuned at 30hz atm. ssf set around 23-25hz and hpf around 80hz. I got id's ctx65cs in frontstage but i only cross them around 90hz.. otherwise my window rattle and it doesn't like the 250watt + im putting into them. I'm listening to rap mainly.

The problems is that it miss a lof of the 50-80hz bass line and something that make it sound akward, even more since when i'm bumping it there's no way the frontstage keep it up....

I'm not even sure i love the fact i can't almost hear the bass, only the car vibrating.... it doesn't sound that loud even if you feel everything is moving around

btw there's dynamat xtrem on most of the car big panel.

I'm thinking about tuning the box a lil higher, maybe 34-35hz. I know the Q is a SQ sub that is made to be tune low, but do you think i'll get a wider range in upper bass and a louder with 5hz tuning higher?

Otherwise, i may keep this sub for my HT :D. It was doing a sick job in 8ft/cu @30 in my house.

Edited by xprime4

Would you ever try it in a sealed box?

well i don't want to loose spl... sealed won't be helping in that case

but hey thank you for the fast answer!

Do you think sealing it at its max recommanded enclosure = better than chocking it in the smallest ported enclosure?

Really..

I think you would like sealed..

I really have no idea on how it would sound compared to your box.

In my opinion you should make a sealed box and try it out..

You may like it.

Deffiently build a sealed enclosure to the spec provided by Fi and compare the difference. I am thinking you may like sealed for you music better than a ported box.

I may try sealed in last resort... but what about tuning a lil higher? will it make the bass more audible and less felt?

I say try a higher tuned box b4 sealed maybe 35-38hz. Maybe the box has leaks or something, with that much power u should be alright in the size box....?

no leak from what i see. There's only one 3/4 baffle tough... but even if i sat on the box, there's not qualitative chance in sound so i guess it's not that bad.

first i have to ask you this, why do you have the sub amp set to highpass? if i read that correctly, thats your problem. turn your ssf down too,

first i have to ask you this, why do you have the sub amp set to highpass? if i read that correctly, thats your problem. turn your ssf down too,

Hopefully he mistyped that. I had my Q sealed, and I like it. HOWEVER, going from ported to sealed I lost a TON out output. Try tuning higher if you really want to, but you may want to invest in some powerful midbass speakers.

Why would you want a 'subwoofer' to hit such high notes in the first place?

Thats ridiculous.

Sounds like you're ignoring your main problem.

You have your front stage crossed at 90hz because anything else causes your door to rattle?

Which means.. you haven't deadened your doors yet. Fix your front stage install and then play around with your settings.

Honestly I Think It Might Be Your Amp.

Are You Seeing The Excursion On The FI Q Alot ?

Would You Say That It Is Getting Enough Power ?

The 10", 12" And The 18" Are Rated At 1000 Watts Peak

Hifonics Amps Are WAYYYYYY Overated.

How Many Fuses Are On The Amp And How Many Amps Are They Each ?

excursion is there... actualy that's the part I prefer from that woofer :D

yeah doors are deadened. Windows rack is pretty fudgeed up from the excessif amount of bass + the fact its an hyundai accent ... :(

I love loud substage.... so most of the time i must be playing the substage 10db louder than the rest of the system.. so it just sound weird when a bassline just cut when getting into the 60-80hz freqs... 6.5 speakers can keep up at 80hz with a 18inch sub...

Just to give an exemple, alpine type r were loud as fudge in those frequency... and that was loud to the ear. Now with the Q, i can be pushing a lot of power and the only thing that make me realize it's loud is the rattling and the feeling in my chest. I got a good earing ... i'm not deaf yet

Honestly I Think It Might Be Your Amp.

Are You Seeing The Excursion On The FI Q Alot ?

Would You Say That It Is Getting Enough Power ?

The 10", 12" And The 18" Are Rated At 1000 Watts Peak

Hifonics Amps Are WAYYYYYY Overated.

How Many Fuses Are On The Amp And How Many Amps Are They Each ?

i'm pretty sure it's more than enough... i can push more power but the q doesn't get louder... even if under the clipping level

My Guess Is You Have A 15 Or 18" FI Q

Whenever I First Got My FI BTL 15" 2 Months Ago I Was Dissapointed But After Realizing I Was Running It With A Hifonics Amp That Said It Was 1000 Watts When Really It Was Around 600.

Also I Had It In A Cheap Pre-Fab Box Which Was Killing The Sub A BUNCH.

The Amp That You Are Running It With Says Its Pushing 2000 But It Really Puts Out Around 1300.

Youll Need Around 1600 Or More To Really Hear The FI Q Come Alive.

Whenever I First Got My FI BTL 15" 2 Months Ago I Was Dissapointed But After Realizing I Was Running It With A Hifonics Amp That Said It Was 1000 Watts When Really It Was Around 600.

The Amp That You Are Running It With Says Its Pushing 2000 But It Really Puts Out Around 1300.

well 600watt on a btl is a joke?

2000hifonics watt even if it's more a 1400-1500 clean watt rms should be more than enough for that sub. Like i said, pushing more power just ain't getting it louder, even if i'm under the "clipping" level i put at around 1600 watt.

Box is custom made, but i only use 3/4 mdf , single baffle, no bracing:( But the box doesn't seem to flex neither it sound bad... it's just too deep and not playing 60-80 hz bass well. I guess the 18inch sq sub aren't that good in those freqs

I wouldn't put 1600 watts on a Q. Even with BP power. 1000 should be plenty. Besides, the difference between 1300 and 1600 is negligible, less than 1 db.

Hmmmmm Maybe It Needs To Brake In ?

I Noticed That My BTL didnt Hit The 60 - 90 Hz As I Hoped Either :(

But It Hits The Lows good ;)

Again thats why its a subwoofer.. If you want 60-90 get some mid's

I'll need a lot of pair of midbass to achieve the loudness i want in the upper bass range

I'll need a lot of pair of midbass to achieve the loudness i want in the upper bass range

Then do it... 60-90hz is ridiculously high to want from a sub.

Then do it... 60-90hz is ridiculously high to want from a sub.

90hz is high indeed, let's say at least mid 70s

Sign in to follow this