Schmuck

Need Help picking an amp.

I am looking to get a rack mount amp to use in my room to power 2 AQ 15's. I am looking at the Behringer ep2500 and the GTD Audio GD-750. I can get both for the same price. I know that the Behringer is more widely used and known for a good 2400 RMS but the GTD is 2 x 2250 @ 2 ohms, so it is almost double power and the same price. I want to know if anyone has experience with the GTD or if anyone has heard anything about the GTD amp. Depending on how the GTD performs will help me decide what amp to use.

What's your budget like? I won't touch the Behringer, and I have no experience with the GTD.

What is wrong with Behringer, I hear they are very good for the money. Budget is minimal $400 max. and the more power the better but I dont watn to skimp on quality.

I have the 1500 behringer. there is nothing wrong with this amp. however, I don't know about the GTD but the behringer amps are over-rated. the 2500 will do 1500 watts bridged at 4 ohms i think. there were tests of many amps on some forum.

nvm, i found it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865

but yea for the money, the behringers are great. If the GTD is of higher quality and puts out more power than sure get the GTD because of the same price.

**Behringer is over-rated as others have pointed out.. Good value for the money though.

I had a couple of 2500's... I never tested them but my peavy xr8600 powerd box mixer and it seemed to put out more power... the responce was better the bass was tighter(and didn't have the hiss that the behringer had)... It is a decent budget amp (they worked well for me)..

**the peavy was only rated at 1200watts

***also the peavy amps are also out of your price range. you'd be looking at 600ish to touch the same power output of the behringer which makes the behringer a good value

Crown is a good brand.... You can pic up their 1400 watter for $500 xti-1000 from Parts express... you could probably find it cheaper elsewhere...

Edited by rushnrun

that hiss can be fixed easily. just get a three prong to two prong adapter at walmart or something. thats what i did and the hiss is never heard again.

Edited by phi

that hiss can be fixed easily. just get a three prong to two prong adapter at walmart or something. thats what i did and the hiss is never heard again.

You're talking about relieving a ground 60-cycle hum. The hiss is just a shit amplifier. You can't rid yourself of that.

well, i never had that problem. I don't know others that have the behringer to have that problem.

however, it depends on the OP's budget.

Edited by phi

I know it is not home audio, but in all the bars I worked in over the years, some with insane levels of audio system power, the Crown amplifiers were by far the best.

I know that you can not compare this to home audio, but I use 3 Crown XTI 1000's in my haunt. For the price it was a good deal.

For a subwoofer there is nothing wrong with using a Behringer. I used a ep2500 to drive 8 18" subs, i couldnt be happier. It will give you all the power you need, for as long as you need it.

I vote for a behringer if cost is an issue.

QSC would be my next on the list. The XTi isn't what I would really recomend for sub duty.

The XTi isn't what I would really recomend for sub duty.

Explain please.

Pro audio uses them all day long for subwoofer duty. It's even more so relevant with the onboard DSP. No need for a shitty external crossover.

I don't think the DSP is worth it is all. That Crowns roll off the extreme low end and are down about 2db at 10hz already and rapidly decreasing from there. Probably never notice, just what I have learn from others testing.