Sign in to follow this  
w00tah

Ordered my 187...

Well, I did it, talked to IA earlier about it, and I pulled the trigger, 187 15", going into the Neon to replace an old single 8 ohm Kicker Comp.

Review and pics when it shows up.

:jump::woot::hyper:

Kef

Nice choice. :)

It's going into the Neon, Kicker KX400.1, 2.0 net after displacement sealed. I think that output should be good enough for me for now, but I've got enough room that I might port it if it's not loud enough (which I doubt I'll have to do).

First one in Zanesville with an IA product, which I'm proud of :). I promise, full review when I get it in and listen for a bit.

Short list of stuff I'll listen to:

Outkast- Speakerboxxx Intro

Lil Wyte- Hoods Run Down

Fear Factory- Shock

Chimaira- Pure Hatred

Muse- Knights of Cydonia

Amon Amarth- Cry of the Blackbirds

The Eagles- Hotel California (live)

Pink Floyd- Money

Papa Roach- Blood Brothers

Rascal Flatts- What Hurts The Most

Death Cab For Cutie- I Will Possess Your Heart

Georges Bizet- Les Toreadors (Carmen Suite No. 1)

Chronic Future- Memories In F Minor

I'll make a smaller list when I actually do my review, but those are some of my favorites, especially the Chronic Future song. If you've never heard that on a good sub, go do so. It gets damn low for a rock song :slayer:

Kef

all i can SAY is ... IA .. FTW !!!!!!!!!

f_IASMILEYm_67cae75.gif

You'll be twice as loud as the comp. The 187's cannot be beat for the price. I would highly recomend doing it ported.

Edited by Audibel Customs

if the build quality is anything like my death penalties then its should be amazing

You'll be twice as loud as the comp. The 187's cannot be beat for the price. I would highly recomend doing it ported.

I drive an orange Neon. With a 15 in it. Do I REALLY need that much more attention?

Lol.

I as I said before, I might port it if it's not loud enough. However, I think it will be exactly what I'm looking for. It should turn out to sound good (being that it's sealed), get low, get pretty loud off the power I have, and will go well with the coax's that I have up front (Powerbass 2xl's). If it meets those requirements, I'll be happy. If it's not loud enough, there is porting, and trust, I've already got it covered if I have to go that route :)

Kef

If you aren't worried about saving the space building a ported enclosure would allow you to tune the enclosure to get a nice low bass. If it is to loud you can always turn your gain down a little. Personally I like the sound of a low tuned ported enclosure over a sealed enclosure at any volume level. By the way did the sub come in yet?

Edited by Audibel Customs

If you aren't worried about saving the space building a ported enclosure would allow you to tune the enclosure to get a nice low bass. If it is to loud you can always turn your gain down a little. Personally I like the sound of a low tuned ported enclosure over a sealed enclosure at any volume level. By the way did the sub come in yet?

No, I asked denim, he said IA is building it and will be sending it.

I know I could always turn my gain down, but I already have the sealed enclosure, and I REALLY don't want to wait any longer than I have to to hear it :)

Kef

Just a little wishful thinking on this, but I'm going to TRY and get our local JL dealer to let me audition a 15w0v2 when it comes into the store, so I'll have a head-to-head against the 187. He said he'd think about it :)

Now if the 187 will just get here, I'll be able to get my listening started and get a first round review up.

Anyone else see the w0v2's and think they look like the RF P1's?

Kef

Their site says the 15's will not ship till the second quarter. Going by the site the W0 has less power handling and less excursion than the W1. There is a night and day difference between a W1 and a 187. So the W0 should be no where near the 187's performance.

Their site says the 15's will not ship till the second quarter. Going by the site the W0 has less power handling and less excursion than the W1. There is a night and day difference between a W1 and a 187. So the W0 should be no where near the 187's performance.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=33

The new w0v2 is rated for 300 RMS, which is what IA rates the 187, and is rated for 11.4mm one way v.s. 9.5 for the w1v2.

Excursion isn't the whole story of a subwoofer, either. You can have all the throw in the world, but without control, it's just a fart cannon. And I know the price difference will be great, considering that the local shop charges retail on most of their stuff, but I want to do it just as a service to myself and to the people online who are looking towards buying an entry level driver. I want to be able to point people towards IA's products as an alternative, since JL is quite pricey for meh performance. Yes, they make good product, but so does IA, and for less money.

But personally, I think the ass looks like a P1 or Pioneer Champion.

Kef

Okay, all I will say for the moment is it came in, I got pics, and got to listen to it for about 30 seconds.

HUGE props to Nick, this thing is beast man. Absolute BEAST.

More to come later. Sorry for the tease, but I literally just got it in and haven't even heard a whole song yet. I'll update later if I can, if not, I'll update after I get home from work (since I get to listen to my stereo during my breaks at work :))

Kef

Pics, as promised:

ScottsPics047.jpg

The box, which we all know is the most important part.

ScottsPics048.jpg

The front of the moofer, for the oblivious.

ScottsPics050.jpg

A comparo of a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi and the height of the moofer.

ScottsPics051.jpg

Coil venting, nice touch I wasn't expecting.

ScottsPics054.jpg

Of course, an ass shot.

The little lady and myself had to make a trip to Wallie World, so we got to listen to her Ipod, which is ALMOST as random as mine, not as much metal and classical, a little bit more R&B and Rap.

I can tell you from the limited time I've had to listen to it, it gets low, it gets loud, and it sounds good. All from a decent sized sealed enclosure. I don't think that I will be changing subs in the Neon for a long, long, long time. Matter of fact, I'm leaning towards an LI or something along those lines for her 99 Mustang Convertible that she just recently bought.

More coming tomorrow night when I get home from work, around 10 PM EST, will try and listen to enough to make a full Review thread.

Kef

... looks good ... but better when installed :P

:) :)

IA FTW!! I'm loving my Lethal Injections even though they're in too small an enclosure. I've given demos to all the guys I know that are about to start systems for the spring.

IA FTW!! I'm loving my Lethal Injections even though they're in too small an enclosure. I've given demos to all the guys I know that are about to start systems for the spring.

You know, I haven't let many people know what I got, and I've impressed several people, and pissed off a couple others :)

I know this much, I'm going to have to invest in some deadener, the rear deck is being abused :) And I also noticed, I get some dimming now, since I'm stressing the electrical a little bit more than I was before. Doesn't help that the terminals of the battery are about junk in the Neons. I'm going to have to replace those soon.

Review coming tomorrow, I'm tired.

Kef

Edited by w00tah