chad y

Look what arrived today

I just got home from a 16hr day at work. This iwas delivered.

first impression, good build quality, heavier than expected 29lbs, sharp looking cone and very stiff.

100_0305.jpg

100_0307.jpg

100_0306.jpg

So needless to say this put a smile on my face. Now I just need some time to make a few enclosures and test it out. I am thinking one 1ft^3 sealed and the other 2ft^3 30sq in of port tuned to 32-34hz. I will either run it off my SAZ 3000d @ 4ohms or a PG Tantrum 1200.1 @ 4ohms. Maybe this weekend I will have some time.

Chad

What is the RMS on the woofer?

Try www.mach5audio.com amazingly it has heaps of specs on this sub.........

1000wrms

Jono

I am curious to see how it handles the 3000. It takes my JL 1000/1 well into clipping and laughs at it. Although output wise I get way more than I need with the gains pretty much set on 0.

I am curious to see how it handles the 3000. It takes my JL 1000/1 well into clipping and laughs at it. Although output wise I get way more than I need with the gains pretty much set on 0.

If I run it on the 3000 it would more then likely be @ 4ohms 800 watts. I could try it @ 1ohm just to see overhead is good.....lol. However I would be very conservitive at that point.

Chad

I vote PG on it. Should be close to 1400 watts. :) Nice choice BTW. :)

I vote PG on it. Should be close to 1400 watts. :) Nice choice BTW. :)

I think that would match up nicely. I may try this out in the Chrysler Concode. I just need some time now.

Chad

i wish i could find a comparison between the ixl 12 and my AA arsenal. price wise its the same and i always wondered if the trade off between the two would be worth considering. im sure i could get 200 for my sub in its current box locally...

Same price? The IXL is sold with almost no margin and the AA from a B&M store, that being said if they are truly the same price it should give you more than enough information on what to choose.

i got mine before they went dealer based. the AA was about 20 bucks cheaper so not much difference. i think, if i would consider an ixl, id have to go with a 15. are these ok for ib? id like a sub i could try ib and if i dont like it i could throw it in a box. i would consider an mj18m but i dont have the height for an 18 ib. i should really stop looking at a sub when i really need to pic out some mids and tweets first.

IB is an alignment I haven't tried mine in yet, but would think it should be fine. If I didn't have a pickup that it was in, or a car that I refuse to cut up it would be IB. I'd say go for it.

Picking mids/tweets is more fun than subs IMO.

the front must come first. ill make a new tread soon with some Q's concerning some budget speakers, although the pg rsd's, surprisingly, are pretty decent.

i cant help my love of subs... im 19 so i guess ill grow out of it...

Ok so this weekend I had just a little time. about a hour. Unfortunately the only enclosure I had laying around was a prefab bandpass box that a buddy left after I built his enclosure.

with that being said. I placed it in the trunk of my Chrysler Concorde. I hooked up My phoenix gold tantrum 1200.1 to it @ 4 ohms. I started with the gains low and then adjusted it by ear. Even in this craptastic box it sounded great.

I then played a variety of music, It was a little boomy for my taste I assumed it was the box. The output was great for a single 12. The lows shook the car like there was no tomorrow. The truck lid was flexing as well as the back window, steering wheel, center console, cup holder..etc.....

ok so the banging and the output were great but the car is by no means set up for that. I remember M5 saying how good his performed on as little as 250 watts. I then unhooked the tantrum and installed a Eclipse XA 1000 once again wired to 4 ohms right around 300 watts. Wow was M5 right!! I was amazed at how well it blended with my front stage. Even in this craptastic enclosure. It hit every note and sounded great, the boom was gone and replaced with crisp clean notes. The bass was warm and and by no means lacking in output. It just wasn't shaking the car as before.

So it will get very loud when needed while sounding decent. But it really shines in the SQ in a lowered power setup.

I can't wait to have the time to build the proper enclosures both sealed as well as ported. I am sure it can only get better.

I will update when I have the time to build the proper enclosures.

Opinions are welcomed.

Chad

Sounds like a nice review on a good sub. Craptastic interisting adjective for a sub box. :wacky:

Sounds like a nice review on a good sub. Craptastic interisting adjective for a sub box. :wacky:

HaHa, Yeah it's not that bad 3/8" plexi and 3/4" wood. I just have never been a fan of Bandpass boxes.

I hope I get some time here soon to make the proper enclosures. I have a custom MJ 18 on it's way as well. So I am going to have to make some ME time......lol here real soon.

Chad

I look foward to that build.

Very nice woofer..

To bad they dont make these in dual 1 ohm..

Word I need some 12.1.1 action!!

Edited by Silent

Send me flow and you will get it (eventually...)

Just a update, I had some time today and put together a ported enclosure. This will be going in a ford ranger behind the seat. It's 1.7ft^3 tuned to 33HZ. I still need to cut the hole for the sub. It will be inverted between the seats. I will be installing it tomorrow and I will have better pics. I am uploading some pics will post them soon.

Chad

I will be installing it today and will get some better pictures and a short review.

Chad