Sign in to follow this  
burton907

i gots a situation for you sundown gods in here

so i was tunin my amp for my 12" Q. and i wanted to use as little bass boost as normal on the amp. but even if i maxed out the gains, set my LPF around 80hz, and turned down my bass boost to 0db. i was only puttin out about 17 volts (if i remember correctly i did it early this morning). i know it was below 20.. and i needed about 31.6 volts.

is this normal? i used 50hz tone when i had no BB, and when i used it, i used a 60hz tone. the only way i was able to reach my needed volts, was when my gains are just over 3/4 set, and my bass boost is about the same spot, 15-17db.

but is that about normal? would it be better if i maxed out the bass boost and compensated with my gains untill i had the needed volts?

fyi i'm using a 1.5 sealed box, stock electrical. gonna upgrade big 3 and possibly battery this week/weekend if needed.

thanks in advance, and thanks for the amazing sub! it sounds great i just wonna make sure this is somewhat normal. this is my first system and i don't wonna blow my first sub, or anything for that matter.

max the bass boost never!

Bass boost should be eliminated on all amps IMO....I understand you have to design for the "monkeys" (how it has been put to me). Nothing wrong with getting on the gain if that is what it takes with a low volt deck....use the gain and leave the bass boost at Zero. I dont agree with the DMM method other than SPL competition vehicles either but that is opening a can of worms I dont care to get into a fight about tonight.

Bass boost should be eliminated on all amps IMO....I understand you have to design for the "monkeys" (how it has been put to me). Nothing wrong with getting on the gain if that is what it takes with a low volt deck....use the gain and leave the bass boost at Zero. I dont agree with the DMM method other than SPL competition vehicles either but that is opening a can of worms I dont care to get into a fight about tonight.

i would much rather not use a DMM and use and oscilloscope, but i can't afford one, nor find one in town without making someone go out of their way for me. which is what i do not want at all.

what kind is the voltage rating on your RCA's on your HU? double check that too with your meter

would i check the voltage the same way i would tune my amp with my DMM?

but pioneer says my preout is 2volts.

and john helped me out on another thread, if i took what he said correctly, then i would use the following formula for my situation.

SAE 1000D

12" Q 2ohm DVC

1 ohm load (he said to use the "Final Load" this is it right?)

1.5 cuft sealed enclosure

Voltage = sqrt(1000W X 1 ohms)

Voltage = sqrt*1000

Voltage = 31.623

is that right? what i did when i was setting my amp was:

1) put HU on 40 [max volume 62, i like 40 personally]

2) set up the deck eq how i prefer it [no experience, just noob ear]

3) set LPF on amp to 80hz or so.

4) (my sub is not connected at all during this fyi) then i turned the gains up slowly, i believe i got around 17volts when gains got maxed out.

5) cut back on gain about 1/4 of a turn and started turning the bass boost up untill i got the suggested volts..

should i max my gains, and turn bass boost off completely? what do i need to change here. thanks everyone.

IIRC 40/62 on those pioneer decks is not very loud... I saw a 880 prs that didnt wake up until about 53 or so. Are you using an amp for the highs? If so, turn the gains down on it, to match it to the sub amp, and in turn you can crank the volume higher to get the output you need.

sub needs to be connected to get a ohm load

the guide said to do this without the subs connected.

but i checked the voltage with the subs connected, and at 31.6 without subs, it dropped to 28.7 volts with the load. i didn't mess with gains or bass boost when it was connected cause wasn't/aren't sure whether that would damage them or not.

IIRC 40/62 on those pioneer decks is not very loud... I saw a 880 prs that didnt wake up until about 53 or so. Are you using an amp for the highs? If so, turn the gains down on it, to match it to the sub amp, and in turn you can crank the volume higher to get the output you need.

i am using an amp, except it's under my passenger seat and is a pain to access. but if thats what you guys think i need to do i can give it a shot.. i haven't any idea how i should tune those amps though. should i just turn the gains down adn leave the rest? (i didn't even put the amp or mids/tweets in, they came with the car. idk what kind any of it is except the amp is some sort of U.S. Amp.

as far as 40/62, when i had the DMM connected, i played with the volume, it increases the voltage ever 2 volume levels.

ex)

40/41 volts are at 31.6

42/43 volts are at 35.2

44/45 volts are at 38.4

i didn't go higher then that due to my highs clipping (using 60hz test tone). i can't seem to get them to get off the low's no matter what i set my HPF too.

x2 on the deck, you need to be up into the volume 50 range, thats when your getting the most output out of the RCA's. you may be getting a fraction of a volt out of the outputs at volume 40. most of the time 50-55 is where you will get 2V output

Your HU is simply not producing enough voltage at volume 40 -- set your gain structure on the SAE-1000D and any highs amps accordingly at a higher HU volume.

One more thing, you know that your deck has an actual sub level control right? Your problem may be that it is set at 0 where it can go to +8 or 12. Go into your audio menu and look for it. You will also find your crossovers there for your mids, play around with that until you find a good setting.

okay i didn't think of that, i will try at a higher volume.

the reason why i did it at 40 is because my mids start to clip at about 45+. i'll turn the gain down on that amp and try from there.

One more thing, you know that your deck has an actual sub level control right? Your problem may be that it is set at 0 where it can go to +8 or 12. Go into your audio menu and look for it. You will also find your crossovers there for your mids, play around with that until you find a good setting.

i noticed that, but i wasn't sure exactly what it is/does. or how to explain it to somebody on here, so i haven't tried.

but since i think you know what i'm gonna be talking about, theres 2 settings on there in the "SW Settings" i think it's a LPF but it gives me some options between 45-125hz i can choose from, i set it to 80hz, and the second part to it allows me to pick a number between -26 and +6. i thought that was kind've like a bass boost, so i left it at 0.

i'm not sure how to set the crossovers on the HU, i can't really find a noticeble difference between any of the settings, for the highs, mids, or lows on there. and theres a second setting maybe you can help me out with. after i pick the frequency if gives me the option of picking "Q1N, Q2N, Q1W, or Q2W" i have it set to Q2W for all "High, Mids, and Lows" because it's louder. (i set my gains with this set fyi)

OK, here we go:

The subwoofer level is not a bass boost, it is a volume control for the subwoofer. When you tune it find some music that has a "medium"(to you) bass level, and set it to where its comfy at around -4( thats assuming the range is what you quoted), that way you have room for movement on heavier and lighter music. If your amp has a remote gain knob with it, then turn the sub on the deck all the way up, and use the gain knob to control your level. For the filter I would set it to either 85 hz or 55-60 hz depending on your personal taste. 85 hz will let a little more midbass to the sub, and will make it sound louder. Alot of that depends on your front components, if they are very good at bass, set the subwoofer to 55 hz, if not so good go 85 hz.

The q1n etcetc is the width of the frequency, that is actually the eq you messed with there. What it does is it will boost a frequency, we'll assume 80 hz is what you picked. When you set it to n(narrow) it will try very hard to only boost that freq that you set. If you go w(wide) it will also boost the freqs around it, Play with it, I usually had the high freqs on 2w to help boost out to 20 khz. Like any eq, everybody has different taste so you will have to do that on your own. If you have a manula for the deck, I would read it, Pioneer is pretty good about explaining all that stuff.

Sign in to follow this