SQBubble

Question about Mayhem 18".

Hello,

For nearly 3years now, I've been using the very first 18" hAvoc that was made. But, sadly, it died on me, well, there is a chance of resurrection, but I doubt it... After continuous playback(around 5 hours), thumping, at a party, it got super hot to the point where the basket was almost to hot to touch, and, dindt work anymore, obviously...

My amplifier is a Crown XTi2000 (2krms@4ohm) and the enclosure is a 7.3NET @ 17hz (PR setup), mainly built for movies.

So, now, I'm looking for something somehow, bulletproof. And I think the mayhem should not get hot with the power I got, even on long term playing periods. Also, with the sensivity so high it'll be louder with less power, and I'm sure itll even sound better!

So, I would like to know how much does it cost first of all, +shipping to canada ? Also, just wondering if Chad still works there ?

And anything I should know about the mayhem? throw it in here, or any other sub you would suggest me

thx

Edited by SQBubble

Yes, but I want to know people that actually use them and abuse them, real-time experience, how good they are thermally.

you could try pm'ing Brian, his s/n is BKOLFO4, i believe he has pretty extensive experience with the mayhems.

I wouldn't recommend the Mayhem for HT.

why so?

It's not really a home theater sub. It's geared more to be an all out bass racin' SPL burpin' window blowin' music driver.

well, in my experience... a subwoofer is a simple woofer that moves air. The enclosure you use will make it a HT sub or an SPL sub... The havoc that I had was excellent for HT, the lows, explosions, bullets were simply amazing, and people use to say its more of an SPL sub... well, I want a subwoofer that will achieve high sound pressure, great sensivity, and that supports a good amount of power for long period, and of course, with a lot of excursion...

Also, correct me if im wrong, but AA was and is never gearing strickly for SPL, its always been high output with sound quality in mind .... anyways it was like that before, idk if it changed...

PS* Im just curious, in your opinions, what qualifies as an SPL sub or an SQ sub??

Edited by SQBubble

well, in my experience... a subwoofer is a simple woofer that moves air. The enclosure you use will make it a HT sub or an SPL sub... The havoc that I had was excellent for HT, the lows, explosions, bullets were simply amazing, and people use to say its more of an SPL sub... well, I want a subwoofer that will achieve high sound pressure, great sensivity, and that supports a good amount of power for long period, and of course, with a lot of excursion...

Also, correct me if im wrong, but AA was and is never gearing strickly for SPL, its always been high output with sound quality in mind .... anyways it was like that before, idk if it changed...

PS* Im just curious, in your opinions, what qualifies as an SPL sub or an SQ sub??

very well put

however, good luck with anyone on forums agreeing with you... other than myself

I have 2 Mayhem 15s on 5200rms and they are taking it with ease. They are in just over 10 ft3 ported and tuned to 32htz in a Dodge Ram. The amp is a Clif Designs 4800.1.

Edited by 2mayhem15s

why so?

It wasn't designed for it. There are differences in drivers, you cant put a Digital Designs Z18 in your house and expect it to sound good, it will take the power but sound like garbage while doing it.

The havoc is an sq sub.

I say get another one.

Different subs have different t/s parameters. Different subs are made for different applications. A sub with an Fs of 30-35 Hz more than likely is not going to make a great HT sub, but it can perform great in a car with the low end cabin gain.

The Havoc was designed as a good sounding daily sub that will get really loud. For me, it would not be my first choice for a HT sub, although it is going to be better than the Mayhem and will meet the HT needs of 95% of the people out there.

The Mayhem was introduced to give AA a SPL/daily driver SPL sub. It can sound good in the correct enclosure. The problem is that it is designed for a vehicle. Without cabin gain or some type of EQ, it is going to roll off quickly in the deep low end where you really need it for good HT.

SPL vs. SQ. . .I sub like the Mayhem with 5 stiff spiders, high BL force, and built to take 3000-4000 watts can sound good, but is not going to sound like the old AA Avalanche when it comes to SQ. . .

thx for the replies, so what should I do if I want louder, beefier than the havoc, and sound as good as the havoc, am I really gonna see a difference anyway in sound quality between the havoc and mayhem?

btw I had some EQ on my havoc for serious low-end so eq isnt a problem at all.

Edited by SQBubble

thx for the replies, so what should I do if I want louder, beefier than the havoc, and sound as good as the havoc, am I really gonna see a difference anyway?

btw I had some EQ on my havoc for serious low-end so eq isnt a problem at all.

I think two smaller SQ oriented woofers would be more suitable for your power, there is no real high powered sound quality woofer, but there are smaller ones with lower power handling that would work better than a large one. Perhaps two Fi Q 15's? With an Fs of 24.9 Hz they might do better, and be louder doing it.

Or try to get your hands on a RE XXX18". ;)

Fi Q, SSA Icon, Sound Splinter RL-P. There are A LOT of guys on Home Theater Shack that run the RL-P's in HT.

yea I was looking at the re xxx18, the huge ones, and also the LMS ultra, but they went bankrupt so idk where they stand now... but I heard that the rexxx are way too nasty on the lows(good thing) but dont have good thump, kick.... so its basically strickly for low-end... thats what I liked about the havoc, it was loud on the low content and it was capable to have a decent slam as well....

Also, i will not change the enclosure, ive put lot of effort into it and it works like a champ, so the new sub will go right in, its 7.3net @ 17hz.

Fi Q, SSA Icon, Sound Splinter RL-P. There are A LOT of guys on Home Theater Shack that run the RL-P's in HT.

yea ive noticed that but rlp are kinda weak thermal power wise... less than the havoc anyway... i dont want anything less than 1500-2000rms, and it has to be an 18"

Edited by SQBubble

yea ive noticed that but rlp are kinda weak thermal power wise... less than the havoc anyway... i dont want anything less than 1500-2000rms, and it has to be an 18"

You've really limited your options if you're looking for a HT sub. There aren't a ton of drivers out there that handle that type of power, unless it's an SPL-type driver.

you just shouldnt be looking at a single 18" ,how about 4 12" ?

then the chaos series should be sufficient and there would be more headroom for EQing

If you have a good EQ setup, the mayhem could work. I ran BP 1803's for a short time. With EQ, they sounded really good.

The Maelstrom-X is a nice driver, but it will not handle that kind of power.

You can contat Dale @ 250-426-5734 for a price quote on the Mayhem in Canada.

Brian

We can recone the older Havocs. It has a decent motor on it and we can upgrade things thermally a little bit. When I get into the office this morning Ill check to see the dimensions on the older version... I should have those somewhere.

Chad hasnt been with the company in about a year and a half. He is doing some amazing HT subs with his new company at Epik Subwoofers.

You can ask Nick about what he thinks Mayhems will do in HT. He listens to a variant of one daily.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott,

Maybe this could help...

ff.jpg

Glad to hear good news on Chad !! Great person !

Also, who is Nick? I've went to search members and there is a lot of Nick!!!? lol

thx

Edited by SQBubble