sundownz

Deadener Coming to the Jeep

wow looks nice jacob... what wire are u using btw?

The better question is what wire am I NOT using ? *laughs*

I have a good bit of KNU Fleks and Stinger HPM as well as Rockford, IXOS, Stinger Pro, and various other brands in there.

This is what I did to the floor in the back :

CIMG2111.JPG

CIMG2112.JPG

CIMG2113.JPG

This is what I found when I pulled up the rear carpet (WOW):

CIMG2107.JPG

CIMG2108.JPG

CIMG2109.JPG

CIMG2110.JPG

---

My Jeep came right off of a farm when I got it... when I burp it a bunch of "dirt" always falls off. Well, I inspected some of this dirt in my shop and it is actually rusted metal flakes mixed with old mud *laughs*

So... lets hope the Jeep lasts long enough to reach my SPL goals :) :)

I was not able to meter the gain here as I had the entire system out re-working the amplifier rack for my new enclosure and new buss bars - you can see the new buss bars here :

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401848

Bigjon,

I got this Jeep because I traded audio equipment for it :) It just turned out to work great for SPL.

I am using Second Skin Damplifier - the best deadener there is, IMO - not sure how much yet... I have a bulk pack but I'll probably order more.

Thank god! Atleast your getting the best value/performance for the money. If I was in NC I would come over and help you.....drive it to Cali if you like for free assitance. You buy the beer of course. :-)

From here on out I have the new setup installed :

CIMG2140.JPG

* New box position in the back

CIMG2139.JPG

* The 3000s in place - with box slid up against the rack

CIMG2138.JPG

* I put a piece of tape across to make sure I stayed behind the b-pillar

As of now this setup is peaking at 47 Hz -- the previous setup peaked at 53 Hz.

All I can say is WOW so far...

155.0 dB -- Base-Line Score this morning

154.9 dB -- Base-Line with door panel and vapor guard off

Since the holes in my door are TINY I decided that it would be nearly impossible to do meaningful dampening to the outside skin... so I am going to use both layers INSIDE.

CIMG2211.JPG

* Small access holes - and there is alot of crap blocking access to the front 1/2 of the door and top half of the door.

CIMG2212.JPG

* I used two full sheets of dampener and one small piece from another sheet.

*DRUM ROLL*

CIMG2213.JPG

HOLY CRAP. I gained 0.4 dB compared to the door skin off score and 0.3 dB from the base-line score with the door skin on from this morning.

Even going by the high 155.1 dB from the other day that is still 0.1 dB PER SHEET of Damplifier Pro!

Apparently my Jeep likes to have these holes sealed up.

Almost forgot to mention... this is only one layer so far. I am going to test two layers.

Very impressive!

Btw new box and set up looks great!

Indeed it does :)

Very important to use a good product as well - Second Skin Pro has my seal of approval for sure.

nice inprovement.

i cant wait to get some SS in my car this summer

Interesting results with doing the second door and putting the door panels back on:

155.0 dB -- Base-Line Score this morning

154.9 dB -- Base-Line with driver door panel and vapor guard off

155.3 dB -- 1st Layer on Driver Door

155.2 dB -- Put 5.25 speaker back in (not hooked up)

154.8 dB -- Removed Passenger door panel and vapor guard

155.1 dB -- 1st Layer on Passenger Door (with speaker installed and not hooked up)

155.3 dB -- Put passenger door panel back on

155.1 dB -- Put drivers door panel back on

So... weird stuff is going on.

Frequency may have changed with both of the door panels on.

It had not changed with both door panels still off + both doors dampened but I have not went back through the frequency range since putting the panels back on.

There may be a bit of delay for more testing - I was working on getting air shocks installed on the rear tonight and the old bolts broke off in the frame. SO I'll have to get that all fixed up first :)

Got it :) We torched the bolts out and got some weld-in pieces with threads from a local specialty fastener store that worked great. All new Grade-8 and/or Stainless steel fasteners used as well.

Air shocks are ON - and the Jeep is actually riding at normal height for the first time since I got it.

CIMG2217.JPG

* Normal ride height restored!

CIMG2218.JPG

* New threaded pieces welded in with shock bolted to them.

CIMG2219.JPG

* Bottom of air shock

CIMG2220.JPG

* Another view

CIMG2221.JPG

* Valve on rear bumper.

looken good man wish i had the time and money to get more done with mine just gotta find a job down here.

Frequency DID change and I am left with some gains:

47 Hz - 155.1 dB

48 Hz - 155.2 dB

49 Hz - 155.1 dB

So it is shifting me in the direction I want to go - I bet if I cut the port down slightly I'd gain even more since my frequency has shifted.

Keep in mind I am currently fighting box tuning since this box is still tuned down low so I may be making more "actual" gains for later on when I get the tuning right again.

So... doors gained me 0.2 dB even against box tuning.

I went back and looked at the 155.1 I did at the shop and DJ was leaning on the door slightly - so the 155.0 is the real score to go by for the "before" comparison on doors.

---

This puts me at 1 dB gain earlier and 0.2 dB more of gains I was able to track (*)

So 1.2 dB up that I know of from dampener.

I didn't get to do before and after on the rear floor or high pressure testing of the dampening I did on the rear quarter panels. I wouldn't be surprised if dampener hasn't given me more like 1.5 dB total.

* - When I lost the mysterious 0.1 earlier with the single sub setup I found the cause - at some point I had broken the glue above my spider on the triple joint so the coil was sliding around a bit. I am guessing this was at some point when I was driving around playing music on it with four 1500s @ 1/2 ohm each. So the 152.1 was a real number but with the glue breakage I slipped back 0.1 dB

---

I am pretty much done now - I can still go back in and double layer the doors but I won't do that until I get the peak back to where it should be in the 50s by re-tuning the box. I can also dampen the front floor board as I haven't done that yet... that may be a while as I'll have to take a ton of stuff out to do it.

If I make more gains by adding more dampener I will come back and make a new post in the log!

I know this thread is about DB gains, but how does the Jeep feel/sound now when u drive it? Bet it feels like a whole new ride.

nice... so ur gonna bump up the tuning on the box to get back to 56hz or so

Yes - 53 Hz is where I need to be.