suprefly

SDC2.5 box

I used the SSA enclosure tool and just want to check and see if everything seems right :)

This is going in a 99 civic sedan, SDC2.5 12". I have all this calculated for a net vol. of 2cuft and a gross of 2.65.....will that be good? Any recommendations for a better box for this sub?

Outside dimensions:

width=30

depth=15.5

height=14.5

For the port, tuned to 38Hz:

width=2.5

height=13

L shaped so...

L1=12.25

L2=1.5

and the enclosure tool says total port length is 18.25...is it calculating straight down the center?

Area=32.5

displacement=602.875 in^3 or ~.35 cuft

I'm really not too sure about the port.....also if i were to use winISD, what sub should i use for calculations or does it matter?

Edited by FF5

The calculator gives you the net volume without driver displacement. 2.65ft^3

With driver displacement I got you at ~2.5ft^3 @ 39hz.

depending on what you're going for... I'd tune lower...

been drinking... more valubale responce in the morning :)

Its gonna be daily, and 38Hz was a suggestion from DJ over at Audioque. Really I'd like to be a little more SQ biased than SPL right now.

Ahhhh thanks Bromo, i forgot to add in driver displacement :) How long should the port be then?

keep it at 38hz if you want loud with good lows.

Tune to 35hz if u want devastating lows and "ok" loud in the 40hz range.

Make port length 2 to 3", and that will put you at ~2.46@38hz

Make port length 2 to 3", and that will put you at ~2.46@38hz

Ok will do! I'd love to have devastating lows!! But not every day lol. Would be a good side project :)

So everything else is fine?

Just a spreadsheet I set up in excel.

WinISD is more for graphing the proposed response in an open air environment. You enter in the box and driver parameters and it gives you the graph.

nobody likes the low lows for daily like I do :(

I'm a 28hz man :)

Ya just figured out how to input stuff, thanks :)

I like low lows! Since i have two SDCs (and haven't figured out how to fit them both in my trunk at the same time) I'm planning on building two different boxes.

**it was a LONG night... I havn't been to bed yet... :)

I'd personally shoot for the 30-35hz range... not that 3hz will make a huge difference but that's getting up there.

***It's really personal preference.. I've got buddies that LOVE 45hz tuning

they say mine lacks the "highs" --they seem to listen to a lot of constant, fast paced "humming" bass...

to each their own I spose :)

Good luck with the box!

unless you have personal experience with DD\AQ, that's not a wise recommendation.

Tuning below 35hz will result in the mid 40hz range and up to roll off severily losing output.

Tuning to 38-40hz will give you awesome all around sound with a consistent "loud" factor down to 32hz and just under 30hz audibly.

Tuning to 35hz will give devastating lows down to the mid 20s but will start to lack high end around the 50hz range.

Thanks Shizzon! Definitely trust you....I read your build log a while back and was hoping you'd jump in :) Sucks about the amp though

Mine blew...or something...not sure what happened or if it's my fault or the amp's......oh well.

Its gonna be daily, and 38Hz was a suggestion from DJ over at Audioque. Really I'd like to be a little more SQ biased than SPL right now.

If that is truly what you want, you shouldn't run the AQ. I severely doubt that is what you want though.

If that is truly what you want, you shouldn't run the AQ. I severely doubt that is what you want though.

Care to elaborate a little more?

No offense......you say this to everyone that says SQ and SPL in the same sentence. And for most people.....you're right. After reading a bunch of reviews, I figured these would be a good balance especially for the money. Maybe they aren't.....if thats the case then I'll just go with SPL for now :)

I've never had a really nice SQ or SPL setup so I'd love to own both, then see which i really like more. I think I'd like SQ more based on what i listen to, the style i play drums, etc.

So back to my question, do you think those are good box specs for that sub? But changing the 1.5" part of the port to 3"

Care to elaborate a little more?

Any sub that excels in a 38hz box is FAR, FAR, FAR from an SQ sub. If they tell you differently it would only be chalked up to better sound through marketing. That and personally I think they sound like hell. Smooth response is NOT their forte. If you believe so you are drinking the wrong koolaid.

No offense......you say this to everyone that says SQ and SPL in the same sentence. And for most people.....you're right. After reading a bunch of reviews, I figured these would be a good balance especially for the money. Maybe they aren't.....if thats the case then I'll just go with SPL for now :)

Not for most people for all.

It is really, really, really simple. If you want a loud box it is peaky in nature as that will be the loudest it can get. If you want an SQ installation, your midbass is your limiting factor 99.99999% of the time so you build a sub box will the flattest response possible and barely turn it up to mix with the midbass.

It is also simple to make a thread where I won't say this. Don't use the terms SPL or SQ in the thread but instead describe your goals. The terms & conditions you agreed to when you joined the forum even spell this out.

As for your goal of a mix, the AQ is far from it. I'd really look at something else.

I still don't understand your logic. AQ is a very good musical speaker. I know your gonna say I'm a nutthugger but it all depends on the install. I have teammates who are very SQ oriented and run AQ's with great success and a winning track record.

Maybe your just as biased as I am. How much experience have you had with AQ?