2kchevy

Need some help

I am about to have $500 dollars for a new front stage and I need some ideas here. My focal 165A's are ok but I need something with more midbass and isn't so harsh at high volumes. So what would you guys suggest for a new front stage with 500 to spend. I guess they don't have to be comps, I might do 8's with some tweets and x-over.

I'm kind of skeptical on doing 8's in the doors b/c I don't have the experience to do a good install like req or others. I could give it a shot I suppose but I would like to hear component setups first.

DLS iridium 8.2's or 6.2's

Tplaya07 is the man to contact about them (on ca.com)

No ive never used them but i hear rave reviews

There the " hott" component set these days

guess I better start doing some research on em :slayer:

edit: these seem to be pretty nice comps, lots of people on CA have them and I never noticed it. Also while reading I ran into "are you gonna run them passive or active" what does that mean?

Passive crossover or active crossover.

Go with Rainbow. May be hard to find, but you will be rewarded with the extra effort in finding them. DLS, eh, heard a lot of great things about them, but when I HEARD them (just a few times mind you), they haven't impressed me at all.

i'd suggest memphis m-synq 8's. two way componet set, with an 8 as the mid. they are awesome. and retail for about $300..

also look into memphis sq componets...with a silk tweeter, they sound absolutely wonderful! i replaced my focal 165v's with the sq's. i'll never go back to a metallic tweeter (well, except for the memphis msynq 4x6's in my rear doors) or focals for that matter. my sq's retail for about $350 or so and are memphis's top of the line, compared to my focals which were over $400 and just a step up from the bottom.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

DLS iridium 8.2's or 6.2's

Tplaya07 is the man to contact about them (on ca.com)

No ive never used them but i hear rave reviews

There the " hott" component set these days

you want get those iridiums for under $500.00!!! they go for about 750 for the iridium 6.3- 3 way for dls is the only way to go. hey what kind of music do you listen?

CDT HD-62, make baffles, plenty of mid-bass sealed

cost $300 from djdilliodon

leaves you $200 for an amp that does 150-200x2@4ohm and baffles

sweet thanks for all the replys guys. I'm still not sure what I want, I'll have to do some research on all of the suggestions you guys gave me. does anyone own the setups they suggested?

what kind of music do I listen to? Mostly rock, live concerts, and rap every now and then. My focals sound awesome with rock, just lack a tad bit of mid bass. when it comes to rap however, the focals just sound like crap. I just want to get the most out of my next setup. I didn't do a lot of research on the focals, I just bought them.

I will be making a much better choice this time around :P

yep..i've got the sq's in my front doors and the msynq's in the back doors...LOVE THEM!!

though the other suggestions are just as worthy...

research and listen(to the product) if possible!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Messed with Rainbow a bit. If I wasn't into DIY, I wouldn't buy anything else. But that's just me. Ane I know everything. :wacko:

ok well I checked out the CDT's and if I can get them for 300(when they are listed for 449) that'd be one heck of a deal and it looks pretty cool. The memphis looks sweet as well but I couldn't find the exact one you were talking about, perhaps they already took the older models down? I just couldn't match the ones they had with the model number you gave me.

as for the rainbows, which models? IIRC rainbows = $$$$$$$$$$$ which I do not have a lot of.

so as of right now the CDT's are lookin mighty fine. I'll tell you my idea as well. I want to try fiberglassing for this next project. after looking at a worklog on CA.com it doesn't appear to be as hard as I thought. I would like to maybe try the tweets in the a-pillar (sp) and then have the 6.5's in some kick pods. I just don't want my new ones to be in the same spots as my old ones (tweeter is on the floor practically). I'm working with a 2000 chevy silverado regular cab if anyone has any experience with them.

thx for all the help so far guys ;P

The memphis looks sweet as well but I couldn't find the exact one you were talking about, perhaps they already took the older models down?  I just couldn't match the ones they had with the model number you gave me. 

as for the rainbows, which models?  IIRC rainbows = $$$$$$$$$$$ which I do not have a lot of. 

Kent may be able to hook you up on the Memphis set. The shop he works at carries them I believe.

As for the Rainbows, I would take even their entry level sets at $150 and put them up against other sets costing 2-3 times as much. That's how much I am impressed with them. STRONG bottom end, clear midrange, bright up top.

:woot: I guess I'll have to talk with "kent" whoever that is? I don't know people by there first names.

Rainbows would be pretty sweet to have though, don't they have a model that is well over 1k?

All 3 of the choices sound great, I'll just have to see which one meets my needs and cost/value :slayer::woot:

KEnt is Mrray13, the guy above whom suggested the Memphis set.

As for the Rainbows, they have a few models that pretty much unreachable by anyone's budget(s).

Maybe look into an Adire Koda set as well, 349 shipped from www.acoustic-visions.com . Or you could do separates(like me I'm doing a RE XXX 6.5" and Vifa XT tweets). Active crossovers are usually a bit nicer.

ok can someone please send me a link or just tell me what active or passive means?

I should have bought the xxx's while the GB was going.