Plymouth Pryde

Speaker/box recommendations

Ok Hello, I have my amplifier already picked out. I've been researching this for about a month or two and am stuck on a few areas.... being pretty new to car stereos I come to you for help.

The amp I have chosen is the Viper D1200 and I'm debating on my speaker selection, its between 1 Alpine 10" Type X dual voice coil and 2 Alpine 10" Type R duals... I plan to run this amp at 1 ohm. I listen to mostly death/black metal or metal in general so SQ is what I'm after mostly but I occasionally listen to some rap and I would liek a decent compromise between sq and spl. Basically I am looking for something with the ability to get really loud if I want but will run my metal fine the other 95% of the time on low volumes. I'm also looking for box recommendations, Alpine 10" Type Rs are "Sealed Box Volume: 0.5 - 0.8 cubic ft and Ported Box Volume: 0.6 - 1.25 cubic ft". The Alpine 10" Type X says "sealed box volume: 0.5-1.0 cubic feet and ported box volume: 0.6-1.5 cubic feet". What would you recommend for box size/type as I have no knowledge on boxes? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this will help me greatly.

Thank you,

Plymouth Pryde

are ya stuck on alpine? there are plenty of other brands out there...

but say u are...i'd do the single sub. why? easier install. less room used. and with one sub, i'd recommend low tuned ported. i'd suggest in the 1-1.25ft^3 range for the x, tuned about 36hz. that will give u a nice mix of sql.

of course, if u wanted to run the pair, i'd go sealed. about .75-1ft^3 per driver.

in any case, u have selected some nice stuff to work with. a good enclosure is going to make ur day with what u have picked out!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

hmmm, I have design tons of enclosures for Alpine subs, mainly the Type R, and they love to be tuned to around 30Hz. Running a single 10" Type R in my brother's Avenger, and wow, makes ya think that there is much more than a single 10" in there.

It is 1.5 tuned to 30Hz.

1.5 tuned to 30...big box for a 10, ya got there :)

Considering my 12" is in a 1.5cF @ 27.

1.5 tuned to 30...big box for a 10, ya got there :)

Considering my 12" is in a 1.5cF @ 27.

It is, but sure sounds good. Also must add that it is being powered by an MRD-M300.

Ok thanks for all the help, I think I've decided to go with the 1 Alpine 10" Type X. Anyone know of any good sites where you can get boxes built? Somone recommended subzoneusa.com, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

Ok thanks for all the help, I think I've decided to go with the 1 Alpine 10" Type X. Anyone know of any good sites where you can get boxes built? Somone recommended subzoneusa.com, but just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

we build boxes here on this site, there are a fwe of us that can do it B)

I listen to mostly death/black metal or metal in general so SQ is what I'm after

Um, can Sound Quality and your music preferences even exist together? :P

I listen to mostly death/black metal or metal in general so SQ is what I'm after

yes, yes they can, trust me

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

Where are you located? Easier to find the closest box builder in your area that way. What are you planning on powering the Type X with?

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

Where are you located? Easier to find the closest box builder in your area that way. What are you planning on powering the Type X with?

Well for now I was thinking of just getting a normal box around 1.25 cubic feet tuned to about 30hrz but I want to switch over to a fiberglass box later on. I'm planning on powering it with the Viper D1200 down to 1ohm. The Type X states "power range 500-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil), peak power handling 3,000 watts"

-Plymouth Pryde

Well for now I was thinking of just getting a normal box around 1.25 cubic feet tuned to about 30hrz but I want to switch over to a fiberglass box later on. I'm planning on powering it with the Viper D1200 down to 1ohm. The Type X states "power range 500-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil), peak power handling 3,000 watts"

-Plymouth Pryde

Location?

-Plymouth Pryde

Location?

Ohio... Lima, Ohio to be exact. Don't seem to have many "builders" around but I still have a couple places to check.

I have a hard time believeing this. Most people don't realize how poorly music is recorded nowadays. Try to find a Metal, rock, or Hip Hop CD that has NO added distortion. I bet you can't. B)

-Plymouth Pryde

Location?

Ohio... Lima, Ohio to be exact. Don't seem to have many "builders" around but I still have a couple places to check.

There are a cpl guys on here that build in that area. Can't remember whom yet.

ummm. i'm in southern illinois. i've got a few references on here if u want to check around.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I have a hard time believeing this. Most people don't realize how poorly music is recorded nowadays. Try to find a Metal, rock, or Hip Hop CD that has NO added distortion. I bet you can't. B)

well if your comparing it to jazz or classical, it may not stack up (although some metal does have some classical parts to it), but it's a ton better than any cRAP

I got a couple more places to check on for boxes but I'd take any references you wanted to throw out there ;)

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

I got a couple more places to check on for boxes but I'd take any references you wanted to throw out there ;)

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

tirefryr..jack frost..

also, check out the show off section, look for threads started by meself..lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well if your comparing it to jazz or classical, it may not stack up (although some metal does have some classical parts to it), but it's a ton better than any cRAP

I was just being analytical. I don't like the latest commercial recordings. They are getting poorer and poorer nowadays.

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

Kent is a mass of talent. Has the skills, the tools, and the knowledge. Prices are great, communication excellent, shipping is quick and cheap. And he's just an awesome guy! :hay:

He builds some killer boxes...

This weekend, I'll have some pics up of an example of his creations :)

:greddy2:

Oh yeah... I forgot. Which size of wire and fuse would you guys recommend? I plan on adding a small amp in the future to power some Alpine 6.5" Type X components but the total watts will be less than 2000. I still have an old Coustic amp that I may just use for the components if its good enough.. its a 600SE that requires 4 guage wire. Don't know too much about Coustic quality so I may sell it and get a Viper amp.

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde

ummm. i'm in southern illinois. i've got a few references on here if u want to check around.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Wow I just saw that box you built in the Show Off section... I may go with you if your up to it :D lol. I'll let you know more when I plan to get it done... got a lil' while yet though.

Thanks,

Plymouth Pryde